Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,937 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I was googling and this website came across to me, please help me..

I am moving to Oahu next month and I have about 30 large boxes that i am taking with me and a car.

I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest method to transport the car and the boxes from IL to HI.

Can you guys please advise me which method I should take???

and i was reading the thread and one of thread was saying that if the car is 3 yrs or younger i have to pay Hawaii sales tax...Can anyone explain me what that means???

I paid sales tax already..do i have to pay them again???

thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Where are you going to put the 30 large boxes once you get here? Figure what ever housing you rent will be half the size of where you are now. A bedroom can frequently be about 10' x 10' which is usually fairly small by mainland standards. Our house is a 3 bedroom/1 bath and is 880 square feet. The rooms aren't large and houses are typically similar to this one, so 30 LARGE boxes is going to fill up your house. Can you inventory the boxes and put numbers on them and have them sent if you need them later?

There are an awful lot of folks who bring lots of things when they move and then they sell them very inexpensively at yard and garage sales when the things they bring don't all fit into their housing or they don't want to take them back to the mainland when they go back. Most household things are easily replaceable from these sources and we have yard and garage sales all year around.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Why are you moving? New job? Where is it located ? Do you have somewhere to stay once you get to Oahu then take a few weeks to find a permanent home? What is your budget going to be for monthly rental?

Your car could be driven to Long Beach, CA then you can ship it to Oahu on Matson, pasha or Horizon. You cannot store anything in the car, and it will cost you about $1000 to ship it. (I think one of the above allows you to put things in the car but it's not Matson.)

If possible, only ship/bring what you really need and do as Hotz suggested, number the boxes, keep an inventory of what's in each box then send for what you need further. Lightweight clothing, 2 or 3 pairs of shoes, jewelry, your computer, important documents such as birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, a couple of years tax return, medical records.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
Maybe he is bringing goods to sell to da Hawaiians!!
SPAM!! More t-shirts and slippahs!!

You don't have much time left before you fly out.

You can also ship cars from San Fran/Oakland, and Seattle too..

You won't get your car until mid April though.....

Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM

I got a new job as federal employee. my budget for monthy rent is under $1,500 after the untilities...is that possible????Acutally, I do not know anybody in Oahu, so this is really big change for me...I will be flying out there on 15 March so i guess i have couple more days to research...

Does anyone know about paying Hawaii sales tax for transferred vehicle from the mainland???

Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchris View Post
Does anyone know about paying Hawaii sales tax for transferred vehicle from the mainland???
Hawaii wants to discourage residents from buying new cars cheaper on the mainland and bringing them in, hence the tax. When I came about three years ago, if your car was: (1) at least a year old, and (2) brought as part of your household (i.e. you brought some other stuff as part of a relocation), then you didn't have to pay the tax.

You should be able to find the details on the Hawaii DMV website.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Motor Vehicle Transfers, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

That should help. Give them a call if you have questions. Each county does its' own registration and each county is, of course, different. Oahu has the highest fees, too.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
You can also ship cars from San Fran/Oakland, and Seattle too.. You won't get your car until mid April though.....
Pasha is a specialty vehicle shipper, and great at it, and they sail by a published biweekly schedule. You can easily find it on their website.
Pasha Hawaii - Sailing Schedule

For example, sailing 151W - departing from San Diego March 10, arrives Honolulu March 15, Hilo March 17.

To be on this shipment your car would need to be at their Northern California terminal by Mar 1, Long Beach by 3/2, or San Diego by 3/4.

Then your car would be available at Honolulu 3/17 earliest, Hilo 3/18

Next sailing, 152W, is two weeks later, etc.

The price they are quoting today is $1072. That's down $3 from a month ago. But all three shippers match prices, so somebody must have dropped their pants. .

Matson is the second line to consider. They are the 800 pound gorilla of general shipping to Hawai'i, and because Pasha was eating their lunch on vehicle shipping they've recently added a custom vehicle ship like Pasha has, but their customer service is nowhere near as good. They do have a tracking system for their shipments, but stop, think... why would they need that if they kept to their "estimated" schedule? Nuff said.

Horizon is the third line. Based on a horrendous customer complaint record that anyone can easily find on the internet, I would not recommend them. YMMV.

Last edited by OpenD; 02-24-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Contrary to some people's opinions, all three of the main vehicle shippers (Matson, Pasha, Horizon) have published, regular service on a schedule. The price is nearly identical from all three. I would simply ship using any of the three, whose schedule and drop off port meets your needs the best. With all of them, your vehicle has to be at the drop off location several days in advance of the ship departure date.

Since web sites are not always reliable, I would call each one and check as to dates for drop-off, etc.

Be aware that any company other than those three shippers, are brokers. Your vehicle may sit until they get enough others to get a large discount and you could get stuck without your vehicle for many extra weeks. There are plenty of horror stories out there.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

does any one know about freight forwarder as well? Matson said if i am moving just boxes, they were saying it would be cheaper to go with freight forwarder....???

thank you in advance!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: