Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 AM

32 posts, read 43,589 times

Advertisements

I go to the Bus tomorrow, will take some photo's and put together a time line......I have only the photo's of the Bus, or should I say passenger vehicle, from the Auction site only: So I'll attempt to post some shots tomorrow. So those of you who have hung out with me, this far can have an idea, or better idea of what I'm talking about: As I said, it was only last week the fellow I sold this bus to, contacted me and indicated he'd like to sell it back to me: As I also stated I have a couple buses on the Mainland, and I also Purchased this Command Module, that I was going to ship here: It is over 8K to bring one of my buses, so I bought this "Command Module" And it was going to cost me a little over 4 to ship: However, my intentions were to have it designated a "House Car" in Oregon, and it would be titled and Registered for two years when it arrived:k It has already on board a couple of Xantrax Inverters, and on board battery charger, and a 6KW diesel Generator...........here are some photo's of that: I have also attached a photo of my 1980 MCI5 (c) a 35 foot Skyview and a photo of my 30ft Orion.......both registered as Motorhomes........Tomorrow photo's of the 2002 National Eldorado EZ rider...........Aloha.

How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-santascommandmodule.jpg

How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-command-module-driverangleside.jpg

How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-87orion3.jpg

How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-mciskyviewpassside.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM

I was going through some statutes this morning. Ascertaining, if I could, what vehicles can be freed of the Commercial Classification, and thus exempted from requiring a "commercial safety Inspection: What I've posted below is directly from HRS.......and pertains to exempted vehicles: I would be interested in thought with regard this, and how I have elected to interpret it: With particular attention paid to section (8)........statute reads thus

§286-207 Exemptions, certain vehicles. This part shall not apply to the following vehicles, if such vehicles are in compliance with safety ordinances and rules of the county in which they operate and other applicable state safety laws and rules:
(1) The type of passenger carrying vehicle known as a "sampan bus" within a radius of twenty miles from the city of Hilo, Hawaii;
(2) Station wagons for the carriage of property;
(3) Trucks, truck-trailers, trailers, or other nonpassenger carrying equipment having a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less, except vehicles used in transporting material found by the United States Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. section 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under 49 C.F.R., Subtitle B, Chapter I, Subchapter C;
(4) Taxicabs as described in section 271-5(3)(B);
(5) Passenger carrying vehicles with a seating capacity of nine or less used for the transportation of employees to and from the jobsite;
(6) Passenger carrying vehicles used by employees solely for their own transportation to, from, and during work;
(7) Passenger carrying vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less used in car or van pools for the movement of passengers to and from work;
(8) A passenger carrying vehicle used for the transportation, without compensation, of persons for private, recreational, or entertainment purposes;
(9) A passenger carrying vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less used solely for the transportation, without compensation, of the vehicle owner, the vehicle owner's family or guests;
(10) A passenger carrying vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less used for the transportation, without compensation, of persons for the furtherance of their physical or mental rehabilitation or for social welfare activities. [L Sp 1977 1st, c 20, pt of §1; am L 1979, c 119, §3; gen ch 1985; am L 2010, c 14, §1]
(8) A passenger carrying vehicle used for the transportation, without compensation, of persons for private, recreational, or entertainment purposes;
(9) A passenger carrying vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less used solely for the transportation, without compensation, of the vehicle owner, the vehicle owner's family or guests;
(10) A passenger carrying vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less used for the transportation, without compensation, of persons for the furtherance of their physical or mental rehabilitation or for social welfare activities. [L Sp 1977 1st, c 20, pt of §1; am L 1979, c 119, §3; gen ch 1985; am L 2010, c 14, §1]

IN THIS LIST OF EXEMPTED VEHICLES.......you will notice specifically in most the exempted status appears to be predicated on weight: EXAMPLE; (7) Passenger carrying vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less used in car or van pools for the movement of passengers to and from work;

INTERESTINGLY SECTION (8) READS: (8) A passenger carrying vehicle used for the transportation, without compensation, of persons for private, recreational, or entertainment purposes;

My reading of this "suggests" no weight designation for exemption at all. It is exempted solely on intended use: It is apparent reading through this statute that the use of the exempted weight of 10,000 lbs is conscious and intentional: And yet we have section (8) with no such mention:

I take this to mean that my titled passenger vehicle in fact falls into exempted status, in accordance with the language of this statute: I would be very interested in any interpretation any might have..............Aloha.......Moki

Last edited by moki; 02-12-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
I think you are right on #8, and that's pretty much as I expected. It's a Private Passenger Vehicle.

But I was intrigued that #1 is still on the books as an exempted class. The Sampan Buses of Hilo stopped running many years ago. But they were an interesting and colorful part of Hawai'i's history. According to this article, there are still 12 of them in existence. I wonder if Jay Leno has one?

Hilo Sampans Then and Now (Ha Ha Ha!)

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Found this today while furthering what has become now a study worthy of a degree. Also learned a very good definition of an expert: "Someone who has made all the mistakes in a narrowly defined field." I don't want to be an expert.......don't need to live through that.

Also came across this in a discussion, as when and where and under what circumstances a CDL is required:

"I will add that what ticks me off about CDL laws is We need a Class A CDL and a Med - Card to drive a 5500 Chev with a F-350 Dually on the back. but "Grandpa" Who has cataracts a pace maker and 2 hearing aids can hook his Suburban to a towbar behind his Prevost or MCI Motorcoach(Converted to a motorhome) 40,000lbs or heavier and take off from Mich to Florida using the highway rumble strips as a positioning ind"icator while washing down his Nitro pills with his daily Ensure Shake. and he needs no special license or training at all"

The vehicle, does run and stop, however, the brakes would need to be done: it would not pass safety: It needs new brakes
Vehicle has 5.9L Cummins 24V turbo mated to a Allison B-400 5 speed that runs beautifully: shifts as it should, steers as it should. 107,000 miles and 21000 hours. That is a lot of hours of idle time: Vehicle in my estimation was poorly maintained: Engine is filthy as is the Coach itself. But it would be cool. Photo's attached.
Attached Thumbnails
How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-dsc00090.jpg   How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-dsc00095.jpg   How to title a bus to an rv oahu, hawaii-dsc00098.jpg  

Old 02-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Going through the National EZ rider to day, the brakes, to see if it will require all new pads, or whether braking can be brought to a safe level by merely going through the "slack adjusters" If it is as simple as the "adjusters" then new steer tires will be in order: Though the coach was used to transport passengers at the air port, it has never had the commercial plates, it has always had the plates typically found on passenger vehicles...........so that may provide room to work as well.......Moki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu