Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,194 times

Advertisements

I certainly do not feel like reading all of the OP's blah blah blah blah ad nauseum, but I noticed several posts up that the vehicle won't have a kitchen or toilet...methinks that it needs cooking and toilet facilities to be deemed an RV.

If that's already been addressed, then excuse me. I chose not to bore myself with reading the rest of the blather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I certainly do not feel like reading all of the OP's blah blah blah blah ad nauseum, but I noticed several posts up that the vehicle won't have a kitchen or toilet... ...if that's already been addressed, then excuse me. I chose not to bore myself with reading the rest of the blather.
here's the summary...

1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
I have a former airport shuttle, I want to turn into and RV.....and further explained that it will be a "rolling living room" no toilet, shower etc. and that it will be used for day trips for my family one of whom is disabled.
2)
Quote:
Many Insurance companies specialize in insuring Recreational vehicles, it is reasonable and readily available: Insuring a BUS is costly, and there are few underwriters that will insure it and it costs big time:
3)
Quote:
I am parked at the beach, we have retreated into the vehicle for some lunch, and maybe a couple beer or a cocktail: In a RV, as long as I am not in the clearly defined "cockpit" or area for the "driver" this is perfectly legal.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 AM

OD, thank you for sparing me from reading all of the gratuitous snippiness to cut to the chase!

I still wonder if it can be considered to be an RV without cooking and toileting facilities. To be deducted on one's income taxes as a second home, it would need those and yes I know we are talking apples (titling) vs. oranges (2nd home tax deduction).

Edited to add that I was --->this close<--- to buying a used Class B RV when I lived in Florida to take to the beach for lunches, showers, and naps in between dives. (But then I moved away.) It's really a cool idea.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I still wonder if it can be considered to be an RV without cooking and toileting facilities.
Although it's apparently not part of the legal definition, I always understood the quintessential point of having an RV was to be able to take a toilet with you. But I can see how some would consider a bar to be the central feature.

OK, OK, a little research and it turns out that distinction "Recreational Vehicle" has less to do with the decor, and more to do with the operation of the vehicle...

Quote:
Recreational Vehicle
noun
a van or utility vehicle used for recreational purposes, as camping, and often equipped with living facilities. Abbreviation: RV Origin: 1970–75
And what was the reason for making this distinction? It allowed larger vehicles like buses and "motor homes" based on truck frames to be operated by an owner with an ordinary Driver's License, rather than requiring a Commercial Driver's License.

Last edited by OpenD; 02-09-2013 at 01:03 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM

32 posts, read 43,601 times
Originally Posted by HiloDiver
I still wonder if it can be considered to be an RV without cooking and toileting facilities.

I still wonder if it can be considered to be an RV without cooking and toileting facilities. To be deducted on one's income taxes as a second home, it would need those and yes I know we are talking apples (titling) vs. oranges (2nd home tax deduction)

Number one it could never be used as a tax deduction as a second home: As there are two types of property on the planet: Personal property and Real property.....a motorhome, House Car, RV are personal property and therefore do not or cannot constitute a second home. No matter how many apples or oranges you misconstrue for relevance. That snippy enough for you.

As to whether an Rv can be considered such without a kitchen or toilet? That varies from state to state: Each state has it's own prerequisites and procedures, that are clearly defined and delineated: Hawaii happens to not be one those states: Which you likely missed by not reading the blah blah blah.......

posted by OPEN D
Although it's apparently not part of the legal definition, I always understood the quintessential point of having an RV was to be able to take a toilet with you. But I can see how some would consider a bar to be the central feature.

I don't know a thing about titling an RV

What I've noticed about public forums is that they're like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates... you just never know what you're going to get

Well isn't that special? First of all you have zero idea of there being a legal definition cause there isn't one. The reveal that you always understood the quintessential point of having an RV was being able to take a toilet with you, is more revelatory of your own exquisite mindset, that if you were to have an RV this would be essential as a central feature........which suggests just as I intuit you may be perennially burdened with a problem of burgeoning feces.

Whereas, in truth, on the Island of Oahu, bathrooms and facilities for alleviating one's self are plentiful. As well the installation of such facilities become onerous, as there are absolutely no dumping stations on the Island. The requisite for no toilet facilities, black water, grey water, on board the RV is intentional and well reasoned. But they what does that matter when such accommodation would be the entirety of your motivation for having an RV. I mean, by your own admission THAT is the CENTRAL FEATURE. Just as is your most profound confession, with which some manifestation of cognitive dissonance you feel qualifies you to make any post regard this matter "I DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT TITLING AN RV." Yet you just keep going on and on an on.

As to your comment

"What I've noticed about public forums is that they're like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates... you just never know what you're going to get"

Ain't that the truth? One thing I've learned, is that I can count on you to guess, speculate, editorialize, extrapolate, confabulate, and take up space, when you know, as I know, that you don't know a thing "about titling an RV." The fact that the thread is about that precisely is ragingly irrelevant to you, even in your admission of ignorance, you blithely contribute. Really ask yourself OPEN D. WHY?

So though you perceive that these public forums are as Gump's box of chocolates, remember, if you can, that you too are contained within that box, you too are one of the surprises: And that each member chocolate constitute the whole, the box. It instructive to me in this regard: You come here, admitting you know nothing about the topic at hand, though believing that what you do know, is tantamount and transcendent to that topic, and is spite of your confessed ignorance you are compelled to respond, because there will be those like Hilo Diver, that share the same kind of indolent incomprehensible infirmity of simply not being able to keep their mouth shut: Or in the instance at hand, their fingers from the keyboard.

Many came here that don't "know" how to register or title a conversion project into a vehicle sanctioned by the state to wear the Recreational Vehicle designation: They made pointed and specific suggestions as an actual approach designed to "find out". Those posts are appreciated. Then there are yours:

POSTED BY OPEN D:
"I strongly suggest you drop this part of your spiel and never bring it up again. It's annoying and can not help you in any way. Matter of fact, it can only hurt you, since Hawaiians HATE being told "That's not how it is done where I come from."

It doesn't matter how it is done elsewhere. Period. You're not helping your case to keep bringing it up.

I'm sure the reason the process isn't documented is because historically there has been no real demand for it. Probably won't ever be, either. Have you noticed there aren't many RVs in Hawai'i? You're trying to do something unusual, so I suggest you just chill and be grateful for the help you get."

AND THUS WE Have the descent into a lack of civility.........you tell me. Prior to the above posting..........everything WAS CHILL.......but your post above broke the ice, and you've sought to defend ever since.......Your tone was strident your tone is/was wrong............you can suggest I'm being overly sensitive or put it on me anyway you desire. I do by conscience what others are required to do by Law. And you became meddling and trifling, and whether on a street corner, or in a box of choclolates on a public forum it's not tolerable..........at least not for me. And yet here you are, still posting..........WHY? You don't know anything about titling an RV, in fact your quintessential notion of having an RV is a place to take a Dump.
Yet here you are. Again............Moki

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 AM

Wow, I knew that was going to happen! :chuckle:

A boat with head and galley can be deducted as a home or second home, why should an RV be any different?

I'm not reading the rest of what appears to be a very childish rant. I don't have time for such foolishness. I hope you enjoyed making all of those angry keystrokes. Good night!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,846,086 times
Moki, I'm fascinated by the possibility of having or renting a motorhome in Hawaii. Could you ship it from island to island (at a reaonable cost) for extended vacations? I've seen lots of Locals camping at beaches. Is there a reservation system, or first come, first served?
In the 1970s there was a business on Oahu that rented popup camping trailers, and I believe, VW campervans. Do businesses of this type exist today on any of the islands?
Please let us know how it works out.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
It is so much more productive to ask for help, versus telling a bunch of people what they are doing wrong.

Sending rants to a government office (or anywhere), makes it much more likely that it will be ignored, if you ask for assitance you will probably get help.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Heh, Mikala, ya think?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 43,601 times
HiloDiver

Wow, I knew that was going to happen! :chuckle:

A boat with head and galley can be deducted as a home or second home, why should an RV be any different?

I'm not reading the rest of what appears to be a very childish rant. I don't have time for such foolishness. I hope you enjoyed making all of those angry keystrokes. Good night!

Anything not corresponding with your point of view appears relegated to either blah blah blah and now childish rant. You continue to by your own admission not read the previous posts, nor even completely read the most recent posts, and as a "Senior Member" continue to provide your commentary absent any context and attempt to demean the OP.

And I would say this: If you don't have construct to contribute to the purpose of this thread, which was to solicit from anyone their knowledge regarding, titling and registering a vehicle as a Recreational Vehicle, that was not titled from the manufacturer as such. In the State of Hawaii. Then why not simply move along, and amuse yourself with any number of topics that you may or may not have some modicum of expertise in: These digressions into commentary such as yours are fun for me, and I enjoy them, and I am not in the least bit angry or enraged. It's amusing to me, to be plagued by your petty missteps: It is equally amusing, that each of the "Senior Members" who continue to read, continue to comment, by their own admission as well as their commentary, have owned that they know nothing, about the topic at hand: And what they contribute is merely criticism of me, how I express myself or what I say or how I say it: This is a thread with an intended purpose. It IS NOT reflective of the overtures, I have made, and will continue to make, toward Governmental Agencies I must rely on to accomplish this aim: Let's Review: To this date, there is no established protocol, no handbook, no website, no vehicle code or State Statute that codifies or instructs on how a citizen achieves what I desire to achieve: I am open to the possibility that the aforementioned is not correct: I am open to the awareness and knowledge of anyone who has taken a
"private passenger vehicle" and achieved recognition of this State as that vehicle being an RV. That is the instruct and purpose, and will also, when completed, for the first time as far as I'm aware, provide a template for others to do what I seek to do.

All the rest of the commentary here, mine as well as others, that skirt this primary aim, are simply viewed by me as part of the dance, missteps to be sure, but nonetheless part of the dance: And I have no issue being part of that as well: But be sure I am not nearly as emotionally invested as it may appear. I am, however, very emotionally invested, financially invested, is seeing this quest obtain fruition, these diversions along the way, are instructive as to the dynamism of the fellow I share the planet with, I am not surprised, alarmed, or dissuaded from my attempt by them: I care what others think, but not to the extent that it prevents me from being who I believe I need to be:

I invite each an everyone to contribute to problem solving, and providing information that can assist in achieving the ultimate aim of this pursuit. Those who wish to be critical of how I express myself, who feel I'm going about this the wrong way. Really? Who Cares? This not about me. This is about Soliciting any and all fact based experience or knowledge from the library of a population. That's what its about. The rest........like I said, obviously part of the dance, another tree in a forest of trees that must be overcome to see the forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu