Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 103,411 times

Advertisements

Just want to say hi to everyone who participates on this board.

My husband and I are planning on moving to Honolulu in a couple of years. This has been something we have thought about for a long time, however we realise it is not something you can do overnight. To prepare for our move we have done the following:

1. Over the past 3 years we have been to Hawaii probably in the region of 10 visits. This gave us a good idea of whether we actually were just infatuated or had a real love affair going on with the islands.

2. After realising Honolulu was the place we wanted to live, earlier this year we purchased a condo in the Diamond Head area. We have currently rented this out. I probably looked at every condo complex from Ala Moana thru to Diamond Head and everything in between before making the decision as to what area we wanted to live in. It surprises me that people think they can live in Waikiki for $1,000 a month or purchase something for $250k. For anyone who is looking to buy, make sure you check those monthly fees and what they include.

3. We are realistic about the work situation. We expect my husband who is in the telecomms field will likely not be able to find work when we move. I am an accountant, so it appears there will be more opportunity. However, if I am able to make 50% of what I make on the mainland I will be happy. That said, I expect it will be difficult to find work. Our plan is once we have saved enough money I will start applying for jobs in Honolulu before my husband quits his job in California.

4. We do not expect to move before 2012. We decided it was important to our success to have sufficient funds behind us to take some stress away. So our goal is to save enough money to pay our mortgage and live for 12 months just in case we are not able to find any work at all.

We believe we are being realistic about the move. We are not looking to recreate our Californian lifestyle on an island location. We know how expensive some things are in Honolulu, however I am not going to pay $10 to eat strawberries when I can eat local mangos for a fraction of the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

369 posts, read 778,030 times
Is there a question here? Congrats on the decision to come out here. Since you've been here several times, the culture shock should be somewhat less. Hopefully by 2012, the economy...which means for us tourism picks up and jobs will be more plentiful. Till then best of luck saving money as it seems you are going about this the right way.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM

9 posts, read 19,248 times
Sorry, but I would never move to Hawaii w/o a secure and well-paying job FIRST (i.e., job in hand before moving there). Just my opinion, but good luck to you.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,040,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToulaHawaiiBound View Post

My husband and I are planning on moving to Honolulu in a couple of years. This has been something we have thought about for a long time, however we realise it is not something you can do overnight. To prepare for our move we have done the following:

1. Over the past 3 years we have been to Hawaii probably in the region of 10 visits. This gave us a good idea of whether we actually were just infatuated or had a real love affair going on with the islands.

2. After realising Honolulu was the place we wanted to live, earlier this year we purchased a condo in the Diamond Head area. We have currently rented this out. I probably looked at every condo complex from Ala Moana thru to Diamond Head and everything in between before making the decision as to what area we wanted to live in. It surprises me that people think they can live in Waikiki for $1,000 a month or purchase something for $250k. For anyone who is looking to buy, make sure you check those monthly fees and what they include.

3. We are realistic about the work situation. We expect my husband who is in the telecomms field will likely not be able to find work when we move. I am an accountant, so it appears there will be more opportunity. However, if I am able to make 50% of what I make on the mainland I will be happy. That said, I expect it will be difficult to find work. Our plan is once we have saved enough money I will start applying for jobs in Honolulu before my husband quits his job in California.

4. We do not expect to move before 2012. We decided it was important to our success to have sufficient funds behind us to take some stress away. So our goal is to save enough money to pay our mortgage and live for 12 months just in case we are not able to find any work at all.

We believe we are being realistic about the move. We are not looking to recreate our Californian lifestyle on an island location. We know how expensive some things are in Honolulu, however I am not going to pay $10 to eat strawberries when I can eat local mangos for a fraction of the price.
Your plan would be sound if you both were retiring with pensions from your jobs on the mainland prior to moving here. Otherwise it's a decission of the heart and not of the head; sorry you probably don't want to hear that.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToulaHawaiiBound View Post

Sounds like you guys will be well prepared for whatever the future holds. A home, plus 12 months living expenses in savings will be a huge cushion. And guess what? Those planes fly both directions. If after 12 months, you don't like or don't find a job that suits you, you can always go back to CA and have a great rental/vacation home on Oahu.

And, no worries, you can get a 2 LB bin of strawberries for $4.59@ Costco any day of the week!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,222,386 times
Wow, awesome. We only live one life and to think you are living it where your heart desires. I have never been to Hawaii, it is a place I would like to visit..at almost 56 years old, I best get a move on.

You sound like you both have the knowledge, the expertise in job field, and the want and desire to make a go of it. Good for you.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 AM

4 posts, read 10,780 times
having lived there a short time 6 years ago, I can tell you hawaii can be tough to figure things out, but it is quite a place. I am moving back to Oahu in 6 weeks!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 13,292 times
It's a good plan. You're so wise!

My husband and I would like to move to Hawaii to live our "early retirement" but not sure if we should or should not.

However, I really hope that we can live there, at least for a few year then we will move back to Orange County, California if we can not longer afford.

I hope to hear the good news about your moving, your jobs and your happy new life in Hawaii.

Good luck & best wishes.

Good luck with your plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu