Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM

180 posts, read 583,387 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have just applied for a civilian job on Oahu based at the Schofield Barracks. It is an important career step for me, so although it does not pay well (60K/year compared to the 90K I make in Portland Oregon) I may have to take it.

One of the ways that I am considering saving money is by just taking my motorcycle and a bicycle. Is the weather motorcycle-friendly most of the time? <- note bugs in teeth,

also where are the places i should look for housing close to the base? If I motorcycle in the rain for ten minutes thats one thing- half an hour to 40 minutes something else.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
OMG, $90K in Portland buys you a lot more than $60K on Oahu. Will you get COLA? It being Hawaii, you WILL get rained on. The closest town is Wahiawa which I happen to love but it would be too rowdy for some people (the soldiers, not so much the locals). Mililani is close by, bland suburb. Strongly suggest you move in with someone who already has a place. You'll meet people and settle in faster. Worked for me anyhow. Should you want to be near the beach you can live in my old home, Waialua,a twenty minute ride up/down at twisty often wet (and haunted) road OR you can take a slightly longer ride through Halieiva. Not much housing available in Haliewa that I can recall. It's doable but be careful. And you will definitely be watching your pennies. Good luck.! Hope you get the job.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:06 PM

180 posts, read 583,387 times
I was actually looking at Waialua places on CL. Twenty minutes is doable if the rain is warm. Living near the ocean is what its all about there anyway, right?

I know it is a huge paycut, but as a contractor I live contract to contract. I have been doing it for 15 years, and it is getting old. This is a perm Fed Job with all the benefits- and 60K includes the Cola! I probably would only keep the job until I got status (or unless they upped my rating to GS11 fairly quickly).

Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
I lived very comfortably as a GS-12 with the Shipyard but that was a while ago. I always heard the Army was easier to work for than the Navy, but I loved the Shipyard. I had a place in Waialua on Kahaone Place. That neighborhood looked like hell last time I went thru there but there are some really neat places in Waialua or further out in Mokluleia if you do want to be close to the beach.If I were to move back I would be content to be up on the hill in Wahiawa. I moved back largely because I just got tired of being hot all the time. Wahiawa is cool enough some houses actually have fireplaces. Do Search Forum for some of my earlier posts about Wahiawa if you're interested. It's a special place,as is all Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu