Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,534 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm a 30 years old female, married, originally from Germany and moved to Honolulu 5 months ago. It's not easy to make new friends when you are not working in a big company or join a club or something like that. My husband and I already met some other german people, but we are not here to build up a german community in Hawaii ;-)
We would love to hang out with friendly people from all over the world and share experiences about our new life on the beautiful island of Oahu! We love music, sports, beach-life, hiking and all the fun things you can do here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,950,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_hawaii View Post
We love music, sports, beach-life, hiking and all the fun things you can do here!
There is a great Hiking club on Oahu. They have a clubhouse in Waimanalo, and are nice people:

The Hawaiian Trail and Mountain Club [HTMC]

Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
One of the problems of making friends in Honolulu is it is too crowded. When folks get all crowded together they don't "see" each other even though they are right there. It's much more difficult to start up a conversation and get to know folks. Try going to areas where there are things you are interested in but not so crowded that folks have to pretend other folks aren't there.

How about hula or ukulele lessons? Then you'd meet other people. There are also some folks who gather in some of the different parks to play lawn bowling or some such, you could join their groups.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,542,392 times
MEETin.org - Fun Events Free Events Make new friends in your city.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM

31 posts, read 50,572 times
I agree about the difficulty making friends in Honolulu. I relocated to Honolulu from the East Coast about 8 months ago. I am a young professional female in my 30s and I work at a major medical center but still find it hard to make friends.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,284 times
Hi,
it is quite a long time since the last post. But my situation is similar. I am an working female in my early 30s, come from Germany and live since one month in honolulu. I am looking for nice people with whom I can spend some hours. Maybe your post did work and a small group came together or you can give me some advices. Anyway, it would be nice to hear from you.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,018 times
I am an aupair who is 21 years old. Been in Hawaii(oahu) for 3 weeks now. Looking for female friends. Im really lonely and havent seen much. Please get back to me. I am from South Africa.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,608,772 times
It's harder to make friends in the Islands because so many people leave, whether due to transfers or for reasons of their own.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
My uncle says that the best way to meet people and make new friends in Hawaii is to volunteer to do some charity work that you care about in your community. Makes sense to me!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 49,832 times
There are lots of sports groups out here. I see groups playing ultimate frisbee and the like at ala moana park all the time. Try craigslist to see if any small groups like that are looking for someone to fill their team. Also, try taking classes in stuff you're interested in. If you like music, go to some of the local concerts. The ones at the aloha tower tend to be large enough that there is a good amount of people there but small enough that you can walk a bit away from the stage and have a conversation with people. Check out hnlnow.com for current events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu