Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM

69 posts, read 235,656 times

Advertisements

I am planning on spending a month or two in Waikiki.
The thing is I wish I was more excited about it. I know there is lots to see and do, but at only 38 I miss the "old Waikiki" I remember from even the early 1990s. I am sure the 60's and 70's were even more unique.

Does anyone else miss this? I miss cool things like the Waikikian, with lush tropical grounds, lowrise and beachfront, and stayed there in 1995. I miss not being able to go to the cool place to see live shows called the "Wave".
I am also not sure how much I like all the new redevelopment of Beachwalk (I was last in Waikiki in 2005).

I am really wondering if I might not enjoy another island more? The reason I want to go to Waikiki is because I am single, and thats where most of the singles are (plus it's nostalgic). Sometimes I feel if the new Waikiki could be anywhere warm and tropical. Time moves on, that is fine, things change. I just wish a little bit of old Waikiki was still around and not so hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
If you're a haole and looking for excitement and singles action then Waikiki is the only option.

Things always change, move on and embrace the new.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I think the entire decor of the Waikikian moved to La Mariana out on Sand Island.

Yeah, the Waikikian was nifty, they'd have those folks singing and playing ukulele going through the grounds at sunset. It also used to be a short cut from the harbor into the middle of Waikiki if you were on foot.

The Wave was okay, but I kinda missed the bookstore that was there before the Wave was. Has Eggs and Things moved away from the area? I've not haunted the Ki's for about a decade or so, but I was a registered voter there for three presidential elections. Which, for Waikiki, is an extremely long term resident. I forget the exact numbers, but it's something like over half the people there during the day don't sleep there and of the people who sleep there, eighty percent of them change every ten days.

If you are single and looking to meet people, it might be easier to actually meet people when there's less of them around. When you are in a big city type environment, folks are too crowded together to actually "see" everyone else. When you are in a small town or rural environment, folks have time to notice you are new and chat with you.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you are single and looking to meet people, it might be easier to actually meet people when there's less of them around. When you are in a big city type environment, folks are too crowded together to actually "see" everyone else. When you are in a small town or rural environment, folks have time to notice you are new and chat with you.
I couldn't agree with this more. Everyone says no, go to Waikiki, thats where all the singles are, but your right, it can be harder to meet people.

I did an experiment with a friend recently that might be like an analogy of Waikiki vs. Maui, Kauai or the Big Island. We went hiking on a very popular dirt loop trail on a ridge. Right below this ridge is another cement loop walking path around a reservoir of water. By far most people go on the bottom cement path because it is easier. But a fair number still go on the top path. Without fail, EVERY single person on the top trail said hello because there were less of them. Very few people on the bottom path said hello, because as you said it was too crowded to "see" everyone else. Makes sense to me.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
We are taking our first trip to Hawaii next month. We are really excited and also nervous about it. We're a family who do not like crowds. One of the hotels we're checking into is in Waikiki - was this a bad choice? We were also checking into Turtle Bay at the other end of the island.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Waikiki is a "have to" a least one time on a Hawaii vacation. I don't like crowds either but enjoy visiting from time to time; it's a very nice place and the weather is normally great there.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We are taking our first trip to Hawaii next month. We are really excited and also nervous about it. We're a family who do not like crowds. One of the hotels we're checking into is in Waikiki - was this a bad choice? We were also checking into Turtle Bay at the other end of the island.
You'll have a great time! If you have never stayed there you'll find lots to do.

I am just reminiscing and realize that I am more of a small town person.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trails View Post
I just wish a little bit of old Waikiki was still around and not so hard to find.
My most vivid memories of Waikiki are from the late sixties, so I certainly know what you mean, but I still enjoy going there occasionally.

Some places haven't changed much - the Banyan Tree at the Moana, the Royal Hawaiian, the beach at Ft DeRussey, the Chart House. And some new things have the old flavor, like the free shows at the beach by Duke's statue each evening.

Those guys who used to sing at the Tahitian Lanai are still around somewhere. I last saw them at the Pagoda Restaurant on Rycroft, but I don't know where they are now. If you find them let us know.

Hank

Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Are the beaches in Waikiki at night safe for a nighttime stroll with kids and family?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Perfectly safe; everyone strolls in the evening to see the sights, go to dinner and watch people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu