Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

229 posts, read 930,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
...cinder block walls, can't hang room darkening shades.
Small thing, but I hope it's helpful: Heavy-duty velcro with adhesive back. It'll stick to the cinder block. Attach the other side of the velcro to whatever you want to use as a curtain. Won't work for roller blinds, but I've used it with curtains and roman shades successfully. Contact me if you want details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,744 times
The apartment is a couple miles from waikiki, but can't walk. Need car at times for work.

Makapu - Sweet! That's not too much further for an after work session. Will try that!

Bonus points...way cool info!!! Will check that out!

Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
Small thing, but I hope it's helpful: Heavy-duty velcro with adhesive back. It'll stick to the cinder block. Attach the other side of the velcro to whatever you want to use as a curtain. Won't work for roller blinds, but I've used it with curtains and roman shades successfully. Contact me if you want details.
Clever!!! I think I know exactly what velcro you are talking about!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
Hot glue is another good trick - and it peels off when you're ready to take it down!

LOVE adhesive Velcro, shower curtain rods, and the 3m hooks. We don't like putting holes in our walls, so we use those tricks quite a lot.

You can also use fabric starch to adhere fabric to walls. Never tried it with cinder blocks, but have done it to other materials and it works. When you want it down, just wash it away with a scrubby and soap and water.

You can also buy different kinds of pegboard and have it cut to fit a section of your wall. That would give you more options for hanging up items and organization as well.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM

77 posts, read 213,250 times
Quote:
Ok, I've been here since the end of January. Moved earlier than planned because I got a job in downtown Honolulu. Thought I would share some observations and big differences from what I am used to (Medium sized town in Washington state)....
These are my experiences so far. Hope they are helpful.

Dthraco,

Thank you so much. I've found a lot of useful information on this site and so many awesome people have helped me out, but I must say, this post is the one that has made the most "non-technical info" sense of any I've seen so far. Just hearing your basic impressions/experiences after having lived there for a month is helpful in giving me a picture of what to expect when we first arrive (we'll be arriving on the 19th of June - just in time for my 40th birthday ). I just wanted to tell you how appreciated your sharing of the simplest of information is. I'm afraid to post some of the questions on here that I think may appear to be too "obvious" for fear of annoying people and you just answered those questions for me If I could hug you, I would!

Maria

P.S. We're coming from Mill Creek, WA.

Last edited by mdgilmore; 03-19-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,149 times
Quote:
Clever!!! I think I know exactly what velcro you are talking about!
Wife has used that self-adhesive velcro to hang ornamental plates and similar items. They lay flat and are easy to adjust. Earthquakes - no problem!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 PM

64 posts, read 173,443 times
Wow, this was a wonderful post filled with great information.

Thank you.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 AM

The Velcro did the trick! Thanks!!!

Picked up some dark linen from Wal Mart, just cut to length and called it good. The stuff is light, so the velcro *should* last.

mdgilmore - Glad the post helped. Feel free to ask more questions in this thread if you have them. When I get on-line I can help with what I have experienced. By no means an expert, but I am here, and making a go of it. Can probably help you avoid some of the pitfalls I have experienced.

Funny though...the one pitfall I have not dealt with is Gas. I paid $3.85 today at Costco to fill up, but I hardly ever get down to a 1/4 tank. Seems I'm always filling up at half a tank because I just don't have to drive far to get to most of the stuff we like to do.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,682 times
Quote:

Funny though...the one pitfall I have not dealt with is Gas. I paid $3.85 today at Costco to fill up, but I hardly ever get down to a 1/4 tank. Seems I'm always filling up at half a tank because I just don't have to drive far to get to most of the stuff we like to do.
Well, see, there is your problem, right there.
With that kind of planning you have to fill up your tank twice as much as I do.
Over a year the a substantial amount of fill ups.
That's going going to cost you a lot more money!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM

285 posts, read 1,084,013 times
not if you like to keep your tank full too. A gas tank only holds so much gas dont matter if you fill it a 3/4 of a tank or wait until its empty. If you like to wait to fill up when almost empty, and someone with the same size tank fills up at 3/4 of a tank, then assuming you both keep your tanks full you will spend the same money providing you pay the same for gas and get the same mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu