Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 01:22 PM

36 posts, read 306,616 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Oahu this Friday, July 25 and we're taking our pets. Our flight is with United Airlines, and we leave from San Francisco Int'l Airport at ~9AM and arrive at Honolulu at 11:20 AM.

We have all the necessary paperwork done, but the one concern we have is the temperature upon our arrival. If the temperature exceeds 85 degrees, then it says the airline may not transport the pet, and we feel like we're cutting it close....We chose the 9 AM flight because it was earliest and we're doing direct airport release. Anyone travelled very recently with a pet to Oahu want to share their experience? Getting kinda worried now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Default Yep...

Aloha,
We moved one dog June 2nd and July 31st I am coming with our second. We're coming from Seattle so it may be different. Check with our airlines. See if there is an embargo in place. Seattle has no embargo. It seems the embargo's take place to/from areas such as Reno, Las Vegas etc. But check to be sure.
Koale

Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks for your reply Koale. What time did your flight arrive at Honolulu? There's no embargo from San francisco as far as we know but I'm more worried about the destination then the origin (SF is cool during the summer). Do you remember the temperature or weather when you arrived with your dog?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 37,873 times
Oawho sorry I do not have a reply...but was wondering how was all the paperwork regarding direct relase went...was it a real pain or if you plan accordingly does everything run smooth?
If anyone else can tell me bout ur experiences that would be great!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi ananth, it did go relatively smoothly, but you need to follow the 5-day-or-less checklist from the Hawaii Department of Agriculture very religiously:

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-checklist-5.pdf

For direct release, there's at least a 4 month waiting period when you decide to bring your pets to Hawaii. The reason for this waiting period is for the Rabies Blood Titer test (OIE-FAVLN) - after the lab receives the sample, you need to wait 4 months.

Make sure your pet is up-to-date on Rabies vaccinations. Your pet needs to have been vaccinated twice in its lifetime. If you need to do another vaccination, or your current one is expired, you need to get another Rabies shot, and you have to make sure your entry date is more than 3 months after your last Rabies shot. Also, if you need a Rabies shot and a titer test, you need to wait about a month after administering the rabies vaccine before you can get a titer test result sent to a lab.

Oh, and to get a titer test, you need to have your pet microchipped.

I would say that the process itself isn't so bad, it's just that you might need to be prepared for a long waiting period. I'd say it's the cost of the whole thing that's really going the thing that hits you:

Rabies Titer test: $130
Microchip: $40
Direct Airport Release fee: $165
Health Certificate: $60
Flea/tick medication: $40
Pet import form notorization: $10

And whatever else you need to do - as you can see it can get pretty costly.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
I live on Oahu I just moved here from Seattle and I'm waiting to bring my dogs over here on March 3rd when their quarantine is finally up. The temp. here has been a consistant 79 - 81 degrees. You picked a good time to transport them so don't worry you should be fine. I know the anxiety is terrible but I hope this eases your mind

Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 PM

72 posts, read 346,809 times
I just moved my 3 dogs and 3 cats to Kauai about 2 weeks ago. There were no problems and the quarantine people were super nice. My advice would be to make copies of everything. Hawaiian Airlines lost one of my dogs health certificate but luckily I had made copies. They do not accept copies but since all 5 of my other animals had them, and I had the copies, it was OK. I transported my 3 dogs first and then the next day my husband sent my 3 cats. I had to call a cab to take me and my 3 dogs to Hawaiian cargo in Oahu to go to Kauai. If the driver asks you if you want to go to a dog park to let your dog out for a bit tell him no. Unless you don't mind a $150 cab ride and have LOTS of extra time. There are places closer listed in the quarantine station. I hope this helps...it seems WAY worse than it actually is.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,859 times
Old thread but Congrats Flygrl on trip!! Agree - at the cargo area they didn't mind me letting dog out to go potty. Haha though going back in April today opended the crate again to let him start practicing and he was NOOOOOOOOOOO but he also has associated the crate with having to be locked up for 10 plus hours at a time in his life. My pup loves Hawaii and loves to sun bath other than turning into an Ice head (the cold kine) he is addicted to ice now. If water doesn't have ice in it than pau nevermind. Only drinks out of the cooler now.

For anyone else reading this - if landing and staying in the airport area is what the temp regulations is set at to my understanding. So if going to Kona or Honolulu direct than no issue temps when landing it is only when connectiing to other island flights. And for the health certificate I asked my vet for tripicates so each airline had an original to go with quaratine with my copies of each just in case.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Old thread but Congrats Flygrl on trip!! Agree - at the cargo area they didn't mind me letting dog out to go potty. Haha though going back in April today opended the crate again to let him start practicing and he was NOOOOOOOOOOO but he also has associated the crate with having to be locked up for 10 plus hours at a time in his life. My pup loves Hawaii and loves to sun bath other than turning into an Ice head (the cold kine) he is addicted to ice now. If water doesn't have ice in it than pau nevermind. Only drinks out of the cooler now.

For anyone else reading this - if landing and staying in the airport area is what the temp regulations is set at to my understanding. So if going to Kona or Honolulu direct than no issue temps when landing it is only when connectiing to other island flights. And for the health certificate I asked my vet for tripicates so each airline had an original to go with quaratine with my copies of each just in case.
Oh Mahalo for the triplicate copies I go in 45 mins to the vet YaY!!! to get the cert. I wanna be pau now! soo tired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: