Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 PM

6 posts, read 8,072 times

Advertisements

Fireworks at the Hilton on friday nights, I like to pick up the fish and chips or chicken and chips at the Hale Koa beach snack bar ($6.00) next door then find a good spot on the beach and watch the sun set, listen to the music, watch the fireworks. Then strole the beach to the outrigger reef sit by the pool and listen to great hawaiian music, maybe have a bannana split ($6.00) or if I did`nt eat earlier the Hawaiian Plate ($10.00) is Ono.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,391,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Oh, if that were only true. Problem is, obesity in Hawai'i is a huge issue, and diabetes is higher than any other state.
Actually Diabetes is not higher than any other state. The southern states and Arizona are higher. CDC report and NCSL site

And as a whole Hawaii residents are more likely to NOT be obese according to even later statistics

You are right, though. Obesity IS a problem in some of the Hawaii population - and with a family of part-Hawaiians I always struggled to remind them gently about eating consciously. The problem isn't the rice -- you can switch them to brown rice which will help immensely. The problem is the fruit punch, sugared drinks, doughnuts, loco moco for breakfast, and the spam. I started holding "classes" --- I got all the kids and their friends together and we had cooking class. That did help. But it takes constant vigilance. One thing that worked with my daughters was a visit to watch grandma get dialysis. I figured taking them to watch a birth helped keep'em outta the back seat of cars, maybe dialysis would keep'em outta Zippy's and Napoleans bakery. But you can only do so much!!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM

95 posts, read 296,598 times
Try Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory - Kalihi St. or Pensacola locations closests to you..... 2 choice place enough for lunch and dinner. Zippy's is way overpriced and those prices keep rising. Not worth it no matter how you slice it unless you "have to have" Zippy's. As for roaches, even the nicest places have them unless you hire and maintain a pest control service. If you only spray your place and not the entire building, you will still have bugs.... Another option for a cheap eat is food court at Costco or Sam's. Not for everyday meals but an affordable treat as there menu never changes and selection is not that big..... Enjoy your move!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM

507 posts, read 918,702 times
At $0.25/kWh, why isn't the island covered with wind turbines and every roof with solar electric? This should be high enough to make the break-even point in financing just a few years.

Here in TX, residential retail rates are only $0.10 - 0.15/kWh, and wind is a big growth industry, and I see solar PV all the time. All the equipment for wind/solar is made in China or Europe anyway -- has to be shipped to the mainland just as surely as to HI.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
At $0.25/kWh, why isn't the island covered with wind turbines and every roof with solar electric? This should be high enough to make the break-even point in financing just a few years.

Here in TX, residential retail rates are only $0.10 - 0.15/kWh, and wind is a big growth industry, and I see solar PV all the time. All the equipment for wind/solar is made in China or Europe anyway -- has to be shipped to the mainland just as surely as to HI.
The big problem with wind is they are just plain unsightly - they don't exactly blend with the landscape in Hawaii. The bigger problem is all the birds they kill.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM

507 posts, read 918,702 times
I currently have a "100% renewable" electricity plan here in Houston (yes, I am aware of how the grid works and how this plan is actually implemented.) I have to admit it does give me pause to consider all the electricity I would use on the island would be from oil fired generators, unless I put solar panels up myself.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Electricity is actually quite a bit more expensive than that on the Big Island, when you add all the surcharges and fees. More like $.40/kWh, but apart from the requirement to install solar water heaters on new construction, there's not a lot of incentive for people to install solar or wind power generation on their own due to the big investments and long paybacks involved. And since Hawai'i is so dependent on visual beauty to sell the tourist trade, NIMBY protests over large installations are much louder than most places.

Not to say there's nothing going on in alternative energy, because there is. A pilot geothermal plant has been operating well enough to merit an expansion. Experimental tide-power and deep water temperature differential systems have been running for a while. There's even a plan to gasify eucalyptus trees from old sugar plantations using giant microwave chambers, then burn the gas to generate electricity. Ditto the generation of bio-diesel fuel from algae grown in wastewater reclamation ponds.

There was a big wind-power farm being planned for the island of Lanai, but now that Larry Ellison is essentially buying the whole island, I don't know what the status of that project is.

Bottom line... there hasn't been enough capital, or vision, or political will to make such a change possible.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM

124 posts, read 432,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Actually Diabetes is not higher than any other state. The southern states and Arizona are higher. CDC report and NCSL site

And as a whole Hawaii residents are more likely to NOT be obese according to even later statistics

You are right, though. Obesity IS a problem in some of the Hawaii population - and with a family of part-Hawaiians I always struggled to remind them gently about eating consciously. The problem isn't the rice -- you can switch them to brown rice which will help immensely. The problem is the fruit punch, sugared drinks, doughnuts, loco moco for breakfast, and the spam. I started holding "classes" --- I got all the kids and their friends together and we had cooking class. That did help. But it takes constant vigilance. One thing that worked with my daughters was a visit to watch grandma get dialysis. I figured taking them to watch a birth helped keep'em outta the back seat of cars, maybe dialysis would keep'em outta Zippy's and Napoleans bakery. But you can only do so much!!
Bravo! Good stuff R_Cowgirl. I am trully impressed that you are helping kids understand healthy nutritional choices coupled with teaching good life choices. I wish I read more about that on this list. I suspect diabetes as a percentage of the population is more concentrated in Hawaiian native and some cohorts within various Asian and Polynesian populations. It is far too high. I think this is where there is a misunderstanding about the commonly understood high rate of diabetes amongst the entire population.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokauai View Post
Kauai residence now pay $.45 per KWH....yikes ! I have been researching solar for a while now. Plan on getting one of these days for sure.
Gas is down over 30 cents/gallon in recent weeks (at least in Oahu) - we should be getting a break on electric soon.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,391,686 times
Quote:

Texas and Hawaii are different animals. Texas is huge and land is plentiful. We are on an island. Decisions about windpower need to be made with far more variables in mind. Being a tourism location, it would be counterproductive to put wind turbines everywhere. And the number of birds killed in the vast California wind turbine fields would decimate the Hawaiian bird population, many of which are protected species.

Windpower is not new to Hawaii. If you do a search, you'll see there are many projects in the works. When I first moved to Hawaii in 1971, there were conversations about it, and a gentleman whose name escapes me right now actually had some turbiines up for a time on one of the islands. (Tried to find it, but can't locate it right now. I'll add it to the conversation when I find it.)

Solar is a good idea and many homes have solar panels. The humidity, high winds, hurricanes, and other tropical issues do make it not as cost-effective as you'd find in a drier climate like Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The big problem with wind is they are just plain unsightly - they don't exactly blend with the landscape in Hawaii. The bigger problem is all the birds they kill.
what he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
Bravo! Good stuff R_Cowgirl. I am trully impressed that you are helping kids understand healthy nutritional choices coupled with teaching good life choices. I wish I read more about that on this list. I suspect diabetes as a percentage of the population is more concentrated in Hawaiian native and some cohorts within various Asian and Polynesian populations. It is far too high. I think this is where there is a misunderstanding about the commonly understood high rate of diabetes amongst the entire population.
Hi Spammasubi. Thanks for the vote of confidence. It wasn't always easy. When I was teaching new eating skills and helping them with their diet, I was seen as the enemy by some. 'It's OUR WAY..." was one of the things I heard. My line to the girls was, "I love you too much to allow you to grow up without this information." It's a battle, I tell you. It's like telling Hawaiians and Southerners that you should cut back on pork. HERESY!! I remember one Easter when I had the whole family over for dinner. I cook the ham with the rind on it, but cut it off and toss it before serving. My mother-in-law walked into the kitchen, grabbed a huge hunk of fatty rind that I had trimmed off and proceeded to munch on it like it was a popsicle. This is a woman who was also drinking 12 sodas a day, eating a couple boxes of cheap chocolate daily, and threatened her doctor with a lawsuit because her dialysis wasn't working.
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todamaxinhi View Post
Fireworks at the Hilton on friday nights, I like to pick up the fish and chips or chicken and chips at the Hale Koa beach snack bar ($6.00) next door then find a good spot on the beach and watch the sun set, listen to the music, watch the fireworks. Then stroll the beach to the outrigger reef sit by the pool and listen to great hawaiian music, maybe have a banana split ($6.00) or if I didn't eat earlier the Hawaiian Plate ($10.00) is Ono.
Amen. Great recommendations!
And drinks at Michels for sunset.. Welcome to Michel's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu