Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM

43 posts, read 93,289 times

Advertisements

I'm big on chinese food (I'm half chinese and entirely influenced by my chinese side of the family) so you can imagine how pumped I am about exploring Chinatown and all its hidden treasures! I really wanna check out Don Quijote too Not much into chicken feet though...

I just assume that it would be cheaper to cook all my meals than eat out all the time... although I know I probably won't be able to help myself when I have Yelp access at my fingertips...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Well, it usually is cheaper to cook at home, but there's so many tasty things everywhere you end up eating out a lot. We frequently split a meal since there is usually enough for two on the one plate.

For Chinese food, we like Pauoa Chop Suey over along the town side of Pali Highway, but there's loads of good Chinese food everywhere. As well as Korean, Japanese, Thai/French, etc. Bali Sandwhich shop is pretty tasty. The one near Sports Authority on Ward avenue makes a great chicken soup. I forget the exact name of it, it's not called "chicken soup" but that's what it is. They have lovely crusty French rolls to go with it, too. And bean sprouts and watercress and things in it. Yumm! There is a good curry place over by the university where they give you a dog dish sort of shaped bowl of rice and then you get to select the different curries on it. I think they charge by the pound for the curries. It's been awhile. You won't ever lack for new places to try eating on Oahu!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM

I just read on Hawaii Seafood - Home that the health benefits far outweigh the health risks that are associated with eating ocean-caught fish. I am unable to cook seafood in my currently living situation because my roommate gets physically ill just from the smell of any seafood. So I will definitely be eating as much seafood as possible when I move out!

What foods do you love to cook the most at home?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
We cook about 98% of our meals at home since we now live in a very rural area on the Big Island. Part of the joy of visiting Oahu is not having to cook all the time.

Today, it was omelets for breakfast since the girls (backyard hens) have been busy lately. Then bread was baked and mayonnaise made for tuna fish sandwiches and salad for lunch. My neighbor grows the greens for the salad, but we bought the tunafish. Fish soup (cioppino/boullibase) for dinner but it was left over from the day before so today there was only one cooking (the omelets) and one baking (the bread) but prep for the mayo and salad dressing. Haven't a clue what we will be eating tomorrow, mostly we decide what's for the next meal by what's either ripe or available. About the only consistent cooking I do is bread baking several times a week. It's too expensive to get store bought bread.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenocide22 View Post
What constitutes an ocean fish versus...
...freshwater fish. Chief among those these days is Tilapia, because it is an easy fish to farm and is used in many permaculture setups.

As far as ocean fish goes, you saw one newspaper article saying eating it frequently outweighs the hazards. I can send you references to 100 studies that say that eating ocean fish more frequently than once or twice a week will expose you to potentially harmful levels of toxic substances, most notably mercury.

Also, the normal restaurant markup is 3X the cost of the food to give the menu price, so cooking at home vs. eating out is one of the easiest ways to lower your expenses.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Baking bread? Amazing! Sounds like your house would always smell delicious

I guess I won't be able to eat seafood as much as i'd like. I'd like to read more about the health risks. Could you point out some articles for me, please?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:43 PM

501 posts, read 1,196,294 times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....go to the local bookstore, or go online at Amazon, and get (or order) the book, "So you want to Live in Hawaii" by Toni Polancy. It will be your bible of survival. Read it front to back, and then read it a second time. This book will prepare you in so many ways of what it's going to be like living there. It even covers pet quarantine issues.

Good luck on your move from Texas. If you plan your move instead of "jumping in", you'll be all set, and will hopefully live a long time over there. :-) I wish you the best!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenocide22 View Post
I'd like to read more about the health risks. Could you point out some articles for me, please?
Here's a good start Seafood and Your Health

What You Need to Know About Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

Fish Consumption Advisories | Mercury | US EPA

Old 03-13-2011, 12:36 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,082,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
...freshwater fish. Chief among those these days is Tilapia, because it is an easy fish to farm and is used in many permaculture setups.

As far as ocean fish goes, you saw one newspaper article saying eating it frequently outweighs the hazards. I can send you references to 100 studies that say that eating ocean fish more frequently than once or twice a week will expose you to potentially harmful levels of toxic substances, most notably mercury.

Also, the normal restaurant markup is 3X the cost of the food to give the menu price, so cooking at home vs. eating out is one of the easiest ways to lower your expenses.
Japanese have the highest diet of ocean fish.
Yet they are the healthiest and live the longest.

I'll file the dont eat fish idea next to the dont use sunscreen one.

Hawaii has some of the freshist seafood and fruit. It local

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Japanese have the highest diet of ocean fish.
Yet they are the healthiest and live the longest.
The Japanese eat very small portions of fish compared to an American diet, and also eat a lot of miso (fermented soy paste) and seaweed, both of which have been shown to reduce damage from environmental pollutants, including radiation. You'd have to duplicate their entire diet, and their genetic makeup, to have a true comparison.

The Japanese are also far more conscious of the pollution of the sea than we are, because they are more dependent on ocean food, and they have done much of the research that feeds into American recommendations.

Quote:
I'll file the dont eat fish idea next to the dont use sunscreen one.
Interesting reaction to large scale, credible scientific evidence with consensus from the scientific community, filing it away with small scale, anecdotal and suppositional news stories. And by avoiding reading the research results, it's easy to miss the species specific recommendations (shark, swordfish and albacore are more polluted than other varieties) and such worthwhile advice as that selenium supplements reduce the harmful effects of environmental mercury.

Quote:
Hawaii has some of the freshist seafood and fruit. It local
Some of it is local, yeah... 15 percent of the available Hawaiian food supply is local, and whenever possible, that's what I buy. The issue is that it's not always easy to find out what is and is not actually local. A large percentage of the mangoes and pineapples and big yellow bananas sold in Hawai'i, for instance, come from Central America. And not all fish sold in Hawai'i is fresh, or even local, so you can't assume anything. At New Year's a shortage of Ahi at the Tokyo market made the price in Hawai'i soar. I was fortunate enough to buy a local-caught small whole Ahi for $1.99/lb. from a small market that got it direct from the fishermen, but the best $20/lb Ahi in the supermarkets was from Japan. Much of the shellfish is imported. All of the salmon is imported, some from the Pacific Northwest. Catfish - China. Shrimp - Asia.

The bottom line is... staying informed about what is current is always the best policy. And asking your vendors where their food is from will sometimes surprise you, at least when they tell the truth. I have caught vendors at Hilo Farmers Market and Kaau and Pahoa saying one thing while the empty cartons behind them or under the table told a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu