Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM

196 posts, read 591,357 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

My BFF and I are coming for a visit in June. We are staying near the police station on Kalakaua. We would like to go on an easy scenic hike in the more lush areas north of Waikiki.

Problem is we can only afford to rent a car one day to go North Shore so we need another mode of transportation to this hike.

Here's where you come in!

We need to figure out what bus or busses we can take from Waikiki. We are open to any hike as long as it is on the easy side and scenic.

(I have looked at the bus website but it's a bit confusing... )

thanks in advance for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciac View Post
Hi everyone-

My BFF and I are coming for a visit in June. We are staying near the police station on Kalakaua. We would like to go on an easy scenic hike in the more lush areas north of Waikiki.

Problem is we can only afford to rent a car one day to go North Shore so we need another mode of transportation to this hike.

Here's where you come in!

We need to figure out what bus or busses we can take from Waikiki. We are open to any hike as long as it is on the easy side and scenic.

(I have looked at the bus website but it's a bit confusing... )

thanks in advance for the help!!
The 5 bus to the end of the line gets you pretty close to the trail head for Manoa Falls trail (which you can extend to a much longer hike by going up to Manoa Cliffs from the falls if you want).

The 15 bus goes a little ways up Tantalus, and might get you close to a couple of hiking trails there.

Those would be the two most lush areas to hike near Waikiki... You can use google maps or a similar program to figure out which transfer you need to make from where you're staying to get to the 5 or 15 bus.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Okay thanks, this is helpful.

If anyone else has some ideas, I'd love to hear more.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Once you decide on which trails you want to go on, call and ask The Bus which route would be best or check their website. They are the ones who would know. There are also some nice botanical gardens which aren't exactly an official hike but are still nice to walk through.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM

140 posts, read 407,600 times
i know the adroid phones with google maps can interact with bus routes. if either of you have one, that would give you directions and aprox times. i haven't tried to use it with the google maps web page.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
i know the adroid phones with google maps can interact with bus routes. if either of you have one, that would give you directions and aprox times.
This is such a great feature I often recommend to people that they upgrade to an Android phone just so they can use this phenomenal Google Map detail while traveling.

Here's how I use it... as recently as today. I decide I want to go somewhere... whether by car, by bike, walking, or by public transport. I click on Google Maps, and while it is figuring out where I am by GPS coordinates, I'm typing or saying where I want to go. 9 times out of 10 I don't know the address there, I just know what it is called, whatever... that's what I enter.

Within seconds, normally, it's offering me a choice of itineraries, and once I select one, will guide me through the navigation. Like walking me to an unfamiliar bus stop in the dark last night, when I couldn't see it.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 AM

140 posts, read 407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This is such a great feature I often recommend to people that they upgrade to an Android phone just so they can use this phenomenal Google Map detail while traveling.
lol, it's the actual reason i got an android phone. rather than having a separate device to travel with, you just take your phone and car mount on vacations.

the husband had one when we went on vacation last year. we went from las vegas to the grand canyon north rim to toole, utah then back to vegas. i had to use it on my own when i was in utah. went shopping at random stores picking up stuff for people. i was driving around via google maps and didn't have any issues what so ever. i would have to say that i love it to the point that i wouldn't consider getting a GPS.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
i would have to say that i love it to the point that i wouldn't consider getting a GPS.
To be clear... I'm pretty much the same, but there is a difference that you do need to understand... a standalone GPS has a map database in memory, and only needs to locate the navigation satellite signals to operate. Smartphone based GPS pulls down the map info via cell-phone data signals, so you need to be in cell phone range for it to work.

If I was to go hiking in remote areas, I'd use a true GPS for navigation, not a smartphone. But for "urban navigation" smartphones are great.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone,

We've decided to just rent a car for another day. More freedom.

34 days!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM

820 posts, read 3,036,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciac View Post
Thanks everyone,

We've decided to just rent a car for another day. More freedom.

34 days!
Keep checking the rental rates. My neighbor had to rent a car while her's was in the shop, and she kept checking rates. Enterprise posted a car for $12/day and she grabbed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu