Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,609 times

Advertisements

I am a CPT curently attending the MCCC at Fort Benning with a follow on assignment to Fort Shafter Hawaii. What is the best way to get started? I am being told a lot of different things about housing, schools, taking my dog and a bunch of other things. Do I need to get command sponsorship for my family? I am doing a lot of research but just got started. All answers are welcome, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM

77 posts, read 213,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchtown View Post
I am a CPT curently attending the MCCC at Fort Benning with a follow on assignment to Fort Shafter Hawaii. What is the best way to get started? I am being told a lot of different things about housing, schools, taking my dog and a bunch of other things. Do I need to get command sponsorship for my family? I am doing a lot of research but just got started. All answers are welcome, thanks.

We're getting ready to PCS in a few weeks. Your family will need an overseas screening for command sponsorship (unless the Army works things differently than the other services). It should state on your orders what you'll need to transfer them to Hawaii, along with your allowances for HHG shipment, POV shipment, where to find out about your per diem, etc., etc., etc....you should have a sponsor at your gaining command who can help you out and if you go to these sites you'll have a start on it:

Relocating to Hawaii Checklist and Tips
HiMWR - Family and MWR Hawaii - Serving America's Army in Hawaii
Island Palm Communities - Island Palm Communities (http://www.islandpalmcommunities.com/Become-a-Resident/Island-Palm-Communities/details/default.aspx - broken link)
Welcome to Joint Base Pearl Harbor - Hickam
Hickam Community Homes
Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v7.0

and Google your service's relocation handbook you should have a lot of good information to start with. It can be pretty involved, especially if you're PCSing family with you. Good luck If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me.

Oh...and don't pay any attention to Mr. Negativity up there...he just had a "unique" experience on the forum. Everyone we've spoken with here in CD and on island has been very kind and helpful - not so much as one nasty or negative comment about our move there and tons of useful information. Some people are just that way (take things the wrong way and such). We're very excited about moving out there and the people on this forum have made the learning curve much more pleasant.

Last edited by mdgilmore; 05-12-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchtown View Post
About taking your dog:

Read this entire thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...rt-please.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu