Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,287 times

Advertisements

agree was just saying that that there may be a chance to get other housing than Schofield, and still be "on base" Been a few years since I had to deal with that kind of stuff. I'm sure some things have changed but still possible right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:58 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,287 times
also, not sure if you are here yet md. but when you do arrive you will find that things work much differently than what you will find on the web.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 PM

77 posts, read 213,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
also, not sure if you are here yet md. but when you do arrive you will find that things work much differently than what you will find on the web.
Very true - and I'm sure CG is different anyway..we're the red-headed step-children We won't be there for a couple of weeks, but are shipping our household goods on Tuesday. We're on every housing list within a decent commuting distance that allows CG so that's pretty much all we can do for now It'll be interesting to see how everything works out, but for now I'll just be happy for more than a fleeting glimpse of the sun again.

Last edited by mdgilmore; 05-29-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 AM

10 posts, read 14,231 times
Second North Shore/Wailua area if you truly want to live the slower life. If you want the more modern Hawaii, Kapolei or Mililani would be viable options. I work on Schofield and my commute to work is about 30-45 mins. depending on what time I actually head out the door. Of course, my work day starts at 8 so I'm in traffic with the rest of the west side of the island. Your commute shouldn't be as bad since you're most likely heading to base for PT in the morning (and your traffic will be congregating at the gates trying to get in) When school is out, the time drops drastically. With the majority of schools on summer break, my commute this past Thursday (Friday was better, but then again the entire base was off so that time was skewed a bit) was 15 minutes.

As an aside, I've just had an influx of new soldiers come in and all of them were able to find housing within two weeks of arrival. Although the reported wait times are long, you may be surprised how quickly you get a home if you're angling for base housing. Schofield in particular may be easy (from what one of my friends that works for base housing placement was saying) because one brigade just left, and most of the folks that left will probably be PCS'ing after they return so their families are all heading back stateside in anticipation for that move. So that list might shorten quickly depending on how many families decide to move on immediately.

And as I tell all the soldiers when they come to the islands, expect to pay twice as much as you want for half the space you expect. Do that, and it'll make house hunting that much easier.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
We lived in West Loch Estates for 4 years while my husband was stationed at Schofield. But I am wondering what is going on there because all of our old neighbors are moving but no one says that anything is that bad. I loved living there but my husband was only there 2 of the 4 years.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:25 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,519,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
She should avoid Wahiawa like the plague. It's a ghetto.
What's with your blanket statement? Not all of Wahiawa is a ghetto.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I am really glad to hear that because I used to love Wahiawa (although I lived in Waialua).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu