Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 AM

19 posts, read 23,949 times

Advertisements

Tammy, I'm going to chime in here. Others have given you very good advice. Hawaii is a great place to live and I'm sure you will like it. The rent money have indicated you want to spend will put you in "not very nice neighborhoods" and quite frankly that includes the school district your son will go to. There are gangs here in those schools and most of them tend to stick to their ethnic groups. Consider the school district where your son will attend. It will make a big difference to him. I know you said you are on a special diet but please remember that type of food will be very expensive here. We spend tons of money on organic foods and EVEN regular grocery is not cheap. There are many private schools here so maybe you can see about your son qualifying for tuition reimbursement rather than attend a public school in the neighborhood that you can afford to live in. I don't think many people have addressed this but certain neighborhoods tend to have their own racial groups living in those areas. If you are caucasian then you would be better suited living in the Makiki, Kapolei, Makakilo, Kailua and Hawaii Kai area but those areas are very very expensive to live at. Just my .02 cents.

Good luck to you. Just wanted to also let you know it's very rare that a landlord pays for electricity. Water and sewer yes but not electricity. You are looking at a $200 dollar monthly electricity bill for a studio or one bedroom apartment. Bus is $65 a month for an adult and we really don't have public school buses so factor those transportation bills in. Your 6 to 8K will go very fast on Oahu within the first two or 3 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post
Tammy, I'm going to chime in here. Others have given you very good advice.
Aloha, and welcome. Thanks for contributing to the discussion. The OP (original poster - Tammy) is unlikely to respond, because this thread is more than a year old, and she hasn't been online since then. You can always check the date of the posts in the upper left corner, and clicking on the poster's name will allow you to check on their last post date.

Mahalo.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,721 times
Speaking of dead threads...whatever happened to Aloha_Silverlining? She quit posting soon after they moved here.

Wonder if they've already left.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Wonder if they've already left.
or if they got too busy enjoying life to bother posting in here again.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,860 times
Hi , Im CRV . I lived in Hawaii for couple years with my dad, on the base. I was looking for other single mothers that want to make the trip and move there. It is my dream. Just Me n my son who is 11 Where would I stay . Is there others? Does anyone know of group out there in Oahu..?? Please forward any and all info to my email ASAP ... [email]Tinkerbell111872@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,860 times
my name is Crystal V ...I have to move ASAP.....just getting there is not the problem,,,a place to live ...and so on..HELP..Advice

Old 03-15-2015, 11:46 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,260,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babzy1972 View Post
Hi , Im CRV . I lived in Hawaii for couple years with my dad, on the base. I was looking for other single mothers that want to make the trip and move there. It is my dream. Just Me n my son who is 11 Where would I stay . Is there others? Does anyone know of group out there in Oahu..?? Please forward any and all info to my email ASAP ... Tinkerbell111872@yahoo.com
You might want to start your own Thread. You will get more results than on a old thread.

Where are you living now? You will not get a lot of results unless you add more information than posted now.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu