Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 10,906 times

Advertisements

We are planning on traveling light, bringing beds, not much furniture and basics likes clothes, dishes, etc.

My question for anyone that's been through the move from mainland to oahu, are there things you wish you bought on the mainland and shipped over?

I figure we will have enough space to pack some extras so I'm just trying to brainstorm what we might need when we get there that will cost a lot more.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM

140 posts, read 408,094 times
depending on how much you can bring with you, i would bring the furniture. esp if you like your furniture. it's hard to ship larger items that weight a lot. it also gets very expensive. if you notice when looking at purchasing large items on-line, a lot of companies will not ship items to HI or AK.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM

285 posts, read 1,084,345 times
Unless the employer is paying for shipping I would travel as light as possible. Things to replace what you leave behind can be found here rather easy. Check craigslist out there are military people as well as civilians coming and going everyday. There are always good deals to be found.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM

820 posts, read 3,039,021 times
House or apartment?

Bring anything big & heavy or specialized. Shipping costs and limited choices are what will make you wish you'd brought something here.

If you have a yard and you like gardening, bring over any big heavy pots you like. Maybe even buy a few for $10, put them in the container, and be glad you didn't pay $55 here. Garden tools if good quality.

As mokeanne mentioned, favorite furniture. But realize also that some items may not 'fit' into the heat & humidity here.

Bring computer equipment, unless you plan to buy all new here. I don't think there's a Fry's or Best Buy on Oahu. There is an Apple store.

Bring specialized sports equipment, medical devices, pet stuff. Why not toss in the favorite cat tree instead of paying for another here?

I guess for me it comes down to this: if someone is paying your relocation, why not have them pay for what you'll need? If you don't ship it, then YOU pay for buying it again. Any move will cost you money, why add to your list of expenses?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
But, don't get too happy about bringing a lot of stuff since the houses here are much smaller than their mainland counterparts. Especially those on Oahu. Instead of the 2,500 square feet you are used to, your house may end up being 1,600 square feet for the same number of bedrooms. Expect significantly smaller spaces and plan accordingly. It's no fun to ship your stuff over just to toss it out since it doesn't fit.

It also depends on what island you are going to. Oahu has a significantly larger quantity of just about everything over what's available on the other islands. Molokai and Lanai have especially meager choices. However, the outer islands have more space so if you are going to any of the islands other than Oahu, you can bring more stuff and have room for it. Which is a good thing since there will be less "stuff" available on the outer islands.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,237,093 times
Actually, Oahu has a Best Buy store.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,237,093 times
Weird things I stock up on when I visit the mainland: large packets of spices from World Market. Torani sugar-free syrups, my favorite hair products. Summer clearance items like sandals,swimsuits shorts. I buy them and save them for Christmas gifts!

Things I'm glad I brought: large collection of cook books. All my small kitchen appliances. Good quality beddings & linens. Wall art, bookcases, my nice furniture. Both cars. Our dog.

Stuff I wish I hadn't brought: Patio set that doesn't fit our patio. Winter clothes. (I was concerned about having to travel back east for meetings, but thank God for skype). Large dishes that don't fit into a condo sized dishwasher.

There are Wal Marts, Targets, Macys, Sears, Bed, bath & beyond, Bestbuy, Costco's here on Oahu, anything you can get at these places will be available.

Things like Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn, Z Gallery or Ikea are not here, so think about what you like or need from places like these.

I would agree with Calico. Nice big ceramic pots are like gold...rarely found!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,906 times
All, THANK YOU for the feedback - very useful in helping me compile a list of what I might want to bring

I have lived on Oahu before I am prepared for the downsizing, I am forunate to have the employer be paying for the relocation so I do have some liberty in what to bring.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,877,812 times
Electrical, cords, plugs, light dimmers. These things are small but seem to cost almost double here and shipping from most companies from the mainland seems to double the cost because of their shipping rules.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,104,012 times
Looking back at the move...I would have shipped the furniture, and most everything I could fit in a container. WAY cheaper to ship the nice furniture we had than to sell and replace. Finding good furniture that fits what we like has been a challenge. But that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu