Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,170 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! After reading so many threads and posts about the hardships involved in relocating to Oahu - I'd like to hear some success stories.

Are there any mainlanders out there that moved to Oahu and made it work? If so, how did you do it and where did you go?

We are not delusional and do realize it can be extremely hard but apparently it CAN be done outside of being relocated by the military.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:22 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,910 times
Yes, it can be done. If I'm not mistaken there is a thread already started exactly about this. We have never looked back since making the move.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Here is what I said in a similar thread:

I've had a very positive experience moving to Hawaii. I grew up in Chicago, moved to San Francisco in my late 20's and spent 15 years there, lived in Europe a year, and spent a lot of time in Asia for work. I've lived in Hawaii for 4 years now and wouldn't move back.

My advice (and I understand exceptions to the below):

You will have a lot less disposable income. Incomes are not proportionally higher to offset the high expenses of living on a remote island. While I'm fortunate to have a six-figure income here, I make over 50% less here in Hawaii, and don't have anywhere near the same lifestyle I had on the mainland. Expenses in Honolulu are comparable to San Francisco (or more) without the income to match. Gas is still over $4/gallon here.

Have a plan to build relationships so you can get a job. Hawaii is all about relationships. Sending resumes out to Hawaii from the mainland with rare exeptions (think specialized skills) go to the trash. Optimally get a job that transfers you to Hawaii - or get a job that gets you to Hawaii on business. Build up your linkedin network. If linkedin doesn't match your skills or network, get a good trade, like a plumber or electrician, something licensed. A lot of being successful here is who you know. While living in SF, Hawaii was part of my territory for software implementations, I was here often and built a network over a few years.

Hawaii isn't what you see on TV - nor is it a reality of what you do on vacation. It has its own benefits and drawbacks - you need to come here and spend time here not as a tourist. I go nuts when I see the "I'm drawn to Hawaii" posts even though they've never been here.

Save some money before you come, at least 6 months worth - don't underestimate the expenses and job search.

Understand family and friends aren't going to rush to see you in Hawaii several times a year - it is an expensive trip and you'll likely not have room for them in your small apartment - and if you want to visit home over Thanksgiving or Xmas, wait until you see the airfare (it is high!). You should know the flight from Chicago to Hawaii is longer than Chicago to London.

Understand this is a multi-cultural state, if you've never left the midwest (or wherever), Hawaii can be a shock to you. Also, if you aren't comfortable with and embrace asian culture, good luck. Hawaii is one of only 2 states where caucasions are not the majority.

If you have pets, it takes over 120 days and a lot of planning and money to bring your cat/dog over.

So, build relationships, save money, be open-minded to other cultures, do some research on the people and the state, visit not as a tourist, be realistic, and then......enjoy!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,927,227 times
Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Oahu? Methinks you need to visit some other islands before making such a big decision. I visited Hawaii but never even considered relocating until I visited the Big Island. And even then, never considered it until I traveled to the East side.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Oahu? Methinks you need to visit some other islands before making such a big decision. I visited Hawaii but never even considered relocating until I visited the Big Island. And even then, never considered it until I traveled to the East side.
$$$$'s. Easy decision for me, I'm an executive at a Healthcare software and services company - those jobs aren't available on the other islands nor is the compensation. If money was not an issue - I'd live in Maui.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM

756 posts, read 715,598 times
Very informative post there, whtviper1

Thanks for posting it again

Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,170 times
Terracore: I've looked into Oahu because I have a friend there. I also have friends on Kauai but I've been to both and Oahu seems more like the kind of place I could live. Kauai is an amazing island but it seems like it would get small quickly because there is no city. I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Honolulu but having it within driving distance for work (if necessary) and other things would be nice. It seems like Oahu has the best of both worlds - country and city.

whtviper1: Thank you so much for posting that info

So far, the thing that concerns me is the job situation. Do you think it is at all possible to line contacts up before getting to HI (maybe make some calls and send some emails/network) or would people not be very helpful or receptive to that? Quitting a job and going there without one is scary, even when you do have savings, but it seems like that's what most people do if they aren't transferred by their mainland company.

By the way, my field is currently higher education but I also have experience in renewable energy marketing, sustainable tourism (or ecotourism), and nonprofit management.

Thanks again! And if anyone else has any positive info please feel free to share

Old 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savasana12 View Post
Terracore: I've looked into Oahu because I have a friend there. I also have friends on Kauai but I've been to both and Oahu seems more like the kind of place I could live. Kauai is an amazing island but it seems like it would get small quickly because there is no city. I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Honolulu but having it within driving distance for work (if necessary) and other things would be nice. It seems like Oahu has the best of both worlds - country and city.

whtviper1: Thank you so much for posting that info

So far, the thing that concerns me is the job situation. Do you think it is at all possible to line contacts up before getting to HI (maybe make some calls and send some emails/network) or would people not be very helpful or receptive to that? Quitting a job and going there without one is scary, even when you do have savings, but it seems like that's what most people do if they aren't transferred by their mainland company.

By the way, my field is currently higher education but I also have experience in renewable energy marketing, sustainable tourism (or ecotourism), and nonprofit management.

Thanks again! And if anyone else has any positive info please feel free to share
Most companies won't even read a resume from the mainland - the online system won't even forward it to the hiring manager. Let's face it - why take a chance on someone from the mainland where 9 out 10 don't make it 2 years when you can get the same skill that is already here in Hawaii.

Work your network - friend of a friend can sometimes help with an introduction and interview or acquire specialized skills that are hard to come by.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,534,575 times
Just wanted to note that I did get hired by a company in Hawaii while I was still on the mainland (it was not a transfer). So, it can be done, but it's not easy. I have a very certain skillset for a specialized industry, so that always helps. It was my first job right out of college, too. But that is definitely not the norm for getting jobs there.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Just wanted to note that I did get hired by a company in Hawaii while I was still on the mainland (it was not a transfer). So, it can be done, but it's not easy. I have a very certain skillset for a specialized industry, so that always helps. It was my first job right out of college, too. But that is definitely not the norm for getting jobs there.
Just curious what kind of skill or industry that might have been to take someone fresh from college....that surprises me a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu