Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious what kind of skill or industry that might have been to take someone fresh from college....that surprises me a bit.
I'm an airport/aviation planner. Most people don't know what it is lol. But think of an urban planner, only for airports instead of cities. My industry is very small and very specialized - I could probably easily list just about every company that provides these services. The company I worked for actually wanted someone with a master's degree and at least 5 years experience. I had a job lined up in Florida, but that fell through when the company got bought out by another. So I was pretty much sending my resume to anyone that would take it, whether I qualified with experience or not. Apparently they were having a hard time filling the position because most people with that level of experience already had established families, etc and a move to Hawaii would be difficult.

But I know a move like that is definitely not the norm. That company also paid to relocate me as well, so money to get over there and get established wasn't an issue. I've since moved back to the mainland over 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I'm an airport/aviation planner. Most people don't know what it is lol. But think of an urban planner, only for airports instead of cities. My industry is very small and very specialized - I could probably easily list just about every company that provides these services. The company I worked for actually wanted someone with a master's degree and at least 5 years experience. I had a job lined up in Florida, but that fell through when the company got bought out by another. So I was pretty much sending my resume to anyone that would take it, whether I qualified with experience or not. Apparently they were having a hard time filling the position because most people with that level of experience already had established families, etc and a move to Hawaii would be difficult.

But I know a move like that is definitely not the norm. That company also paid to relocate me as well, so money to get over there and get established wasn't an issue. I've since moved back to the mainland over 2 years ago.
Thanks! Very interesting. I'll send a rep point your way as well.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Thanks! Very interesting. I'll send a rep point your way as well.
Thanks! It's definitely not the kind of career that you grow up wanting to be. I am also a pilot, but found that I liked planning and design of airports more than flying.

This article is long, but it touches on the various things that airport planners do - http://www.faa.gov/airports/central/...media/0500.pdf

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 10,155 times
Wow, Becca it sounds like you got lucky. Having experience in such specialized industries these days can either limit you to not so desirable places or land you in a great place! It all depends on what you make of it

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savasana12 View Post
Wow, Becca it sounds like you got lucky. Having experience in such specialized industries these days can either limit you to not so desirable places or land you in a great place! It all depends on what you make of it
Yeah unfortunately stories like mine in relation to Hawaii are very few and far between. I lucked out big time getting full relocation to Hawaii and then when I left, my new company covered full relocation here to Syracuse. At my age, I would've NEVER been able to make those moves on my own.

If you do happen to get a job offer while still on the mainland, make sure you get everything in writing. I've seen instances on this forum of people that were expecting a job/certain salary/etc only to have it taken away once they moved here. I made sure I had signed paperwork and even had to sign a form that said if I left the company within a year, I'd have to repay the relocation. I was in the clear though since I left around 2 years.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM

281 posts, read 256,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Most companies won't even read a resume from the mainland - the online system won't even forward it to the hiring manager. Let's face it - why take a chance on someone from the mainland where 9 out 10 don't make it 2 years when you can get the same skill that is already here in Hawaii.

Work your network - friend of a friend can sometimes help with an introduction and interview or acquire specialized skills that are hard to come by.
What has this got to do with the OP, which is a solicitation for success-stories, not advice on job seeking.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
What has this got to do with the OP, which is a solicitation for success-stories, not advice on job seeking.
You must have missed this statement in the original post-

"Are there any mainlanders out there that moved to Oahu and made it work? If so, how did you do it and where did you go?"

Employment was a key criteria for making it work.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 10,155 times
Thanks for posting that information. Employment is definitely an important topic.

I was wondering if you knew what the sense of community was like on Oahu? I know that it is pretty ohana oriented but I was wondering if people tend to be helpful or if they are at all open to "taking you into" their social circles. I ask this because as a newcomer it's nice to feel like you aren't being completely ignored. Something I've experienced before, living in some towns. Especially when I lived in cities like NY. However, my experiences in New Zealand were the opposite. Kiwis are a little reserved but they are still very friendly and willing to help.

If location helps to answer that question - I was looking into Kailua as a possibility.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savasana12 View Post
Thanks for posting that information. Employment is definitely an important topic.

I was wondering if you knew what the sense of community was like on Oahu? I know that it is pretty ohana oriented but I was wondering if people tend to be helpful or if they are at all open to "taking you into" their social circles. I ask this because as a newcomer it's nice to feel like you aren't being completely ignored. Something I've experienced before, living in some towns. Especially when I lived in cities like NY. However, my experiences in New Zealand were the opposite. Kiwis are a little reserved but they are still very friendly and willing to help.

If location helps to answer that question - I was looking into Kailua as a possibility.
I think that all depends on you and your social skills and the luck of the draw of who your neighbors are - many will be friendly and open - many will have that keep out sign and a pit bull.

Kailua specifically is a heavily tilted caucasion area and my opinion of the area and the people I know there from work tilt it more to a mainland mentality than a classic Hawaiian feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu