Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 13,737 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Eric I am 28 years old. I am planning a 7 night stay in Oahu. I have 2,500 total for my vacation. I ordered my flight and hotel threw onetravel.com my flight is from Boston Massachusetts to Honolulu Hawaii round trip. I will be staying at Maile Sky Court. my total cost for hotel and plane is $1,806.09. I have $693.91 for spending money for 7 nights. Do You think this is enough?. What are your opinions or past experiences with this hotel?. Also this is my first time on vacation outside of Massachusetts. What advice would You give?. Also what things should I buy or bring to prepare myself for Hawaii?. One last thing I have never flown before, what were Your first experiences like?

Thank You,
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 AM

285 posts, read 1,084,606 times
Aloha Eric, Your budget sounds exactly like ours did when we used to vacation here before moving here full time. We have stayed at the Maile sky court several times. It is not the greatest hotel in town but then again its not the worst. After all you just need a place to sleep while vacationing and dont need all the frills. Depending on what you will want to do you should have enough money to enjoy yourself. We always figured on 100.00 per day for expenses and seldom ever went over that. I think the sky court has a mini frig and microwave in every room use them! you dont have to eat out every night. As far as the flight goes you are in for a long flight but it wont be that bad since it is the first time it may seem like forever try to sleep as much as you can during the flight. I didnt see any mention of a car rental do you plan to walk, bus, or what mode of travel will you be using once here? Also getting from airport to hotel? there are a few options some cheaper than others. message me if you have more questions. Oh, and you are sure to see some replies that will say that you wont have enough money to last the whole time etc,etc. just dont go nuts buying everything in sight the first day, make as much food as you can at you hotel room, and look for the cheaper places to eat and you will be fine.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 AM

21 posts, read 110,205 times
Um..who wants to spend nearly $2k to fly to Hawaii only to make PB&J sammies in their room?

Sorry, I don't necessarily agree with you on this one. I think you'll probably need more $$. Maybe spending less on the hotel is the way to go. You can eat cheap though, like at the shrimp shacks are under $10 and if you're anything like us, you can probably live on 2 meals a day just fine with perhaps a snack between your meals.

Rental cars, parking, transit if no rental car, activities, food..It's going to cost. I'd say you have to leave yourself at least 100 per day WITHOUT a rental car.

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks, I will be going alone. I sort love everything about Hawaii that I have learned. I am was just looking to get away for a while. How much does eating out cost?, are there any specific places you know of that have local food at affordable prices. Do flights let you use laptops? I won't be renting a car I don't drive. I do hear that the bus is great there. Can I take a bus from airport to Maile Sky Court?. I will have 700 dollars to myself once I pay for flight and hotel. Those were the least expensive package I could find.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,540,265 times
I think $700 will be plenty! Just keep track of the money you spend everyday and don't drop $200 on something. I went to The Bahamas last year for 5 days with $500 in my pocket and didn't even spend all of it!

Eating out costs depends - if you stay in Waikiki, it's going to be more expensive. If you like burgers, Teddy's Bigger Burgers, is on the corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu. For cheaper foods, I also recommend walking up Kapahulu - that's where you'll find the local, cheaper places - Rainbow Drive In, Ono Hawaiian Foods, etc - plus there's a Zippy's, Genki Sushi and others. For a KILLER sandwich, go further up Kapahulu, take a right on Waialae and hit Storto's (it's on the left). $5 for the sandwich of the day and they are A-MAZING!

As for Maile Sky Court - as others have said, it's nothing special. Really, it's just a place to sleep. But they do have a bar on the 5th floor pool deck that lets you have your drinks in the jacuzzi (yes, I used to pretend I was staying in the hotel and go up there lol)

The Bus will take you anywhere and everywhere you need to go, and it's cheap!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM

174 posts, read 349,958 times
Budget for some sunscreen! No fun being sunburned on vacation.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,108 times
Join YELP.com and look for inexpensive resturants near your hotel. They also have a "Best Day Hikes" list. You could also join groupon.com, I recently got a groupon for a $49 stand up paddle board lesson or surf lesson in Wiakiki.

Also, I'd plan my dinners around happy hour menus. If your willing to eat early
(and with the time diff. should be no problem) you can eat and have a few drinks pretty cheap. Look for signs or ads that say Pau Hana. You could stok the mini fridge with bagels, juice etc and skip eating out for breakfast as well.

I think as long as you are careful, $700 seems like plenty. Don't forget to factor in the taxi to and from the airport. Or check to see if your hotel offers shuttle service.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,108 times
Oh almost forgot...don't buy anyone drinks and stay out of hostess bars!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,949,255 times
If you go to TripAdvisor dot com, search for Oahu, and then click Restaurants, you will find a matrix of options.

In the second column, one of the options is "Dining on a budget". Select that, and look for locations near waikiki. You can then see lots of reviews and rankings.

Hank

Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM

thanks everyone, you have been so helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: