Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 23,947 times

Advertisements

I've cut the cable and downed the satellite. Just want to watch a little tv. Any one getting good reception of Honolulu broadcast TV from an indoor digital tv antenna? Am planning on buying a small digital tv and using an indoor antenna. I live in the Makiki area up-hill from the H1. How is your reception? Mahalo for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
Do you have internet? Folks I know watch Hulu or streaming Netflix a lot more than broadcast.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Smile Broadcast TV

Mahalo, Yea, I stream Netflix and find some news sites that offer content. I'd like to pick-up local news, some network and sports programming and local educational broadcasts from PBS and UH. What do you think?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4papadog2 View Post
I've cut the cable and downed the satellite. Just want to watch a little tv. Any one getting good reception of Honolulu broadcast TV from an indoor digital tv antenna? Am planning on buying a small digital tv and using an indoor antenna. I live in the Makiki area up-hill from the H1. How is your reception? Mahalo for any info.
Can't really make a good guess, as I do not know just how far uphill from the H1 you are. Fox and ABC affiliates transmit from downtown and should be plenty strong enough, but CBS, NBC and PBS transmit from a 755m high mountaintop northwest of town, and one ridge casts a "shadow" along a stretch along Manoa Road and eastward, blocking these channels.

Two websites you may find helpful are tvfool.com and rabbitears.info (I have no connection to either).

One more thing: When it comes to DTV reception with an indoor antenna, nothing can be assured. What may be a perfectly good signal outside your building can be ruined in "the last meter", having trouble getting in through a window, and bouncing around the walls inside the house when it does. If you aren't going to be placing your indoor antenna by a west-facing window, it may not be worth the bother to try, especially if you are in a concrete or metal structure.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,215 times
One more thought. As close to downtown as you are, it couldn't hurt to unfurl a paperclip, stick one end of it into the center of the "ANT/CABLE" jack on your set (assuming it is new enough to have a digital tuner), and do a channel scan, to see if you get ABC (KITV) on it!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the info. Aloha to you and yours on this day of memories.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,225 times
I used a small indoor amplified antenna in Kapolei and got all the network stations plus PBS and NHK. Airplanes were a pain in the ass since they messed up the reception on each overflight.

Moved into Waianae valley and reception dropped down to just PBS and NHK. The transmission towers are on the Nanakuli range, so line of sight to antenna is shot.

Bought a Clearstream Outdoor antenna from Walmart for $110 plus an in line amplifier for
$15, installed it on the roof and got 9 stations. KGMB, KHNL, PBS, NHK, Grit, MyTV, KFVE, etc. No KHON or CW once that tower is by Ala Moana and totally obstructed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: