Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM

124 posts, read 431,922 times

Advertisements

I was recently reading about the new Disney property here on Oahu. Apparently they are offering timeshares, and I started to wonder what is the state of the timeshare market and their subject properties in Hawai'i.

I am making the assumption that timeshares are generally owned by non-residents of Hawai'i, and most of these owners are comprised of folks living on the mainland.

Out of curiosity, has/is the timeshare real estate market in Hawai'i suffered the same problems that have been experienced on the mainland and to a lesser extent in Hawai'i, i.e. shortsales, foreclosures, bank repos, etc., etc.?

I have not read nor heard much about this, and I wonder if a problem exists that is not completely understood or being reported. I am somewhat unfamiliar with timeshares; how they work and how one invests in a timeshare.

Anyone on this board that might have a better understanding or knowledge of the timeshare industry in Hawai'i that can describe its current state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Did you read the Star article about Disney suspending time-share sales and firing their VP of time shares? Interesting article.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:12 PM

124 posts, read 431,922 times
No I didn't. I hate to admit this, but I stopped reading the online Star when they went subscription,
and I only occasionally read the paper edition. Joliefille, does the srticle have any relevence to my
inquiry?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 AM

52 posts, read 159,437 times
Yes, it has relevance. Disney timeshares were being sold too low according to the higher ups and they fired three senior management staff to reorganize their timeshare prices.

The thing about timeshares is that you are only investing in the ability to stay at a particular hotel for a certain amount of time. You NEVER end up owning a room at Aulani. After you pay off your timeshare you are basically collecting points to stay at the hotel or other hotels in the DVC.

It is a point system where you get a set amount of points based upon how much you pay per month. You let these points accumulate and then use them to stay at Aulani or other DVC (Disney Vacation Club) hotels.

It takes some time before you "get your money back". I believe that a year of investments (approx $3000/year) in Aulani at the minimum tier allowed you to stay there for three nights. Timeshares aren't beneficial until you pay them off and are just collecting points every year to go on vacation.

Locals with lots of disposable income or a love for Disney probably invest in Aulani. Rooms are about $300 a night. Ouch! I would hope that Disney gives locals some sort of discount for helping build Aulani, but this probably isn't the case.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 AM

150 posts, read 415,703 times
Yes they do have kama‘aina rates. Just don't know if they limit the availability.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Time shares are the biggest waste of money, just look at all the "for sale" ads with few takers.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 PM

270 posts, read 506,435 times
Why not look at vrbo dot com - vacation rentals by owner, and it appears it may be cheaper than hotels and stay longer for less money. Just a thought. Ps-I have no gain from this input, either..

Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Why not look at vrbo dot com - vacation rentals by owner, and it appears it may be cheaper than hotels and stay longer for less money. Just a thought. Ps-I have no gain from this input, either..
No need for the *dot*com*.
http:vrbo.com

Vacation rentals are an excellent way to move into Hawaii, whether you just want to try it for a few months, or do a long-term rental. With the economy so down, many landlords are willing to drastically negotiate off of their advertised rate. Deal direct with the owner, via phone. Explain your situation and what you are looking for. A friend just scored a long-term rental for a 2000sf house on an acre for $1,500 month, GET (tax) included. Beautiful place loaded with tile, granite everywhere, etc... Asking price was $3,000.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 PM

52 posts, read 159,437 times
So I looked into Disney Vacation Club timeshares.

Here is the kicker: Your deed expires after 50 years.

So after paying $20,000-$30,000 and maybe transferring it to the kids...it goes poof.

Not the best investment...but if you have the disposable income...I guess whatever.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Time shares are the biggest waste of money, just look at all the "for sale" ads with few takers.
I just sold my DVC timeshare a couple of weeks ago. It sold for only $1000 less than what I paid for it 6 years ago, thanks to DVC's "first right of refusal" policy. It was on the market for less than 2 months and I've definitely gotten good use out of it every year. Now I'm in the market for a different timeshare as my kids are older now and we've had our fill of Disney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu