Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
If you ride the bus you'll realize how rude some people are just some examples...in our first month,we got a phone call while we were riding the bus, my boyfriend answered the phone it was our realtor, the called lasted a minute (max)we didnt know about the rule that says'' you cant talk in the phone while on the bus'' so and old asian woman sitting on the other side yelled at him saying'' shut up no call in the bus'' I said, sorry if we disturb you, we didnt know about THAT rule and the call only lasted a minute or so, she could have simple said, If you guys dont know, you can't talk in your phones while riding the bus, wouldn't that be much different, instead she yelled at us. And now when I ride the bus I see hawaiians and asians talking in their phones all the time no-one yells at them.
Talking on the phone in a bus/subway is a huge faux-paux in Japan as well, just something you should never do here.

That being said, Japanese people are constantly 'on their phone' in the subway, but usually texting, watching tv, playing video games, viewing photos, getting online (all silently with the headphones, if audio though).

Perhaps similar in Hawaii, perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM

270 posts, read 506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Talking on the phone in a bus/subway is a huge faux-paux in Japan as well, just something you should never do here.

That being said, Japanese people are constantly 'on their phone' in the subway, but usually texting, watching tv, playing video games, viewing photos, getting online (all silently with the headphones, if audio though).

Perhaps similar in Hawaii, perhaps.
It seems that the world is distracted and using electronic gadgets in public and in any scenario. Everywhere. Few appear to be observant of anything NEXT to them and it brings many negatives, including loss of human contact/interaction with spontaneity and face to face feedback. Just wait for the first marriage by
i -phone camera and/or pad. Never met, just dated that way and if they have kids, they will be androids.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,626 times
OP here, came across my old post and wanted to update: We did end up moving to O’ahu, I found work very quickly; my husband has never experienced the kind of discrimination against disability as he has here in Hawaii, always from HR personnel (and if you live here, you know what race/ethnicity fills those roles). We ended up homeless, being invited into a local houseless community, learned the truth about the fake state and the ongoing illegal US occupation, found ohana (years before the movie that came out), had our third child, survived the pandemic and are now helping my hanai sister with her uncle’s recent passing and DHHL property she is a successor to. We were told that, “if Hawai’i doesn't like you, you’ll get kicked out.” Well, we’ve tried to leave 3 times so far and every time we’re given another kuleana, so I guess Hawai’i had plans for us all along. Lol

Old 12-23-2022, 10:05 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
Wow. A follow-up post 11-yrs after the original post. That doesn’t happen often and it’s interesting to read. First, thank you for the follow-up.

How long did it take from the time you arrived until you became homeless?

Old 12-23-2022, 02:31 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
While I don't disagree with you WaikikiBoy and find the OP's initial post and follow up to be quite revealing, I had to do a double take at the OP describing her husband as "Mulatto." I do genealogical research as a hobby and remember coming across the term when finding some of my relatives in late 1800s Censuses. Definitely not a term I hear being used today, so I just thought it was interesting!

OP, glad you seem to be doing OK (or at least surviving), even if you had some rough times. Hope to read other updates from you.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:09 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
Yes, Mullato is a term I have not heard in many, many years/decades.

I hope I don’t need to wait another 11 years to read more about the OP’s experience and the transition from arriving on-island to becoming homeless. Or perhaps they did not have reserves at the time of their move and knew in advance they would fast become homeless if they didn’t not both quickly get and maintain jobs.

Either way, there is a larger experience here that I would be interesting to learn more about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu