Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,548 times

Advertisements

hello all
am retired with a good size hunting dog and want to buy a place (under 200k) in oahu, the biggest problem isn't finding a place but finding a location where the dog can run, dog parks are too small, every place i have lived i have found a place where the dog runs free.
i can't believe that there are no hunting dogs or dogs that need a lot of space, i have run ads in oahu trying to find out where you can take a dog so they can stretch but all i get is the dog park answers, won't work, there seems to be so much wooded area around this island and i still can't get someone to give me a clue to my answer, the spca was no help either, if there is anyone who knows of others who have this issue or know of a place for dogs, it would sure be appreiated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoguru View Post

hello all
am retired with a good size hunting dog and want to buy a place (under 200k) in oahu, the biggest problem isn't finding a place but finding a location where the dog can run, dog parks are too small, every place i have lived i have found a place where the dog runs free.
i can't believe that there are no hunting dogs or dogs that need a lot of space, i have run ads in oahu trying to find out where you can take a dog so they can stretch but all i get is the dog park answers, won't work, there seems to be so much wooded area around this island and i still can't get someone to give me a clue to my answer, the spca was no help either, if there is anyone who knows of others who have this issue or know of a place for dogs, it would sure be appreiated
There is lots of forest land, but it's really not safe to let your dog run free there.

For example, a runner who was unfamiliar with the terrain tumbled from a cliff and died recently:
Missing professor found dead : Views and News from Norway

A month before that, a very seasoned hiker also took a tumble and was found dead a few days later:
Hiker dies on Olomana Trail | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

Too many times each year, there are stories in the local paper of someone who lost a dog while out hiking. The dog went over a cliff, chasing after something, and the owner doesn't know if it's dead, hurt, or just missing. Heartbreaking.

The terrain here isn't like anywhere else. My dog needs lots of exercise, though less now that she's getting older. She gets long walks, trips to an off-leash park every day, and weekends running on the beach. It's more than enough for even the biggest dogs. There are simply not wide-open areas that are safe to let your dog run free. If the beach isn't good enough, maybe Oahu isn't for you. (I would also say that with a $200K max and a large dog... more warning bells.)

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM

140 posts, read 407,482 times
unfortunately this is the hard truth of having large dogs here. land is in such short supply so places like that don't exist.

unfortunately for 200k i don't think you could even get a condo.

i wonder if u did volunteer work (since you're retired) at a ranch or something of the sort, maybe they would let you bring your dog along once in a while. although, the only thing i would worry about it wild pigs. even when hiking they can be crossed.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
How about one of the islands other than Oahu? Then you could take your hunting dog hunting and it would get lots of exercise. It would also fit your budget better.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:45 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
I saw a sticker on a car with a picture of a pit bull and the caption "Island Gladiator". Maybe your dog can get its exercise that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu