Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 PM

15 posts, read 51,601 times

Advertisements

I'm finishing up my medical schooling and am thinking of moving out to Oahu.
First and foremost, are there any type of job opportunities for physicians. Secondly, where would you recommend living. I am white, intend to raise a family so would want to be near a good private school, and have around 500K to spend on a house. From my research I've found Kailua, Hawaii Kai, and Kaneohe as possible options. Any thoughts on these or any other good areas near the city would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Go live there and rent in each area for at least several months before you decide to buy anything. It is almost impossible to decide on the "just right" house from far away especially since you don't know where your job will be yet.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Rent a fully furnished vacation rental thru vrbo.com or similar and go from there. Rent for a month so you can get the feel of the area. With the economy so bad now, phone the owner and negotiate a much better deal.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 AM

53 posts, read 228,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisski View Post
First and foremost, are there any type of job opportunities for physicians. Secondly, where would you recommend living. I am white, intend to raise a family so would want to be near a good private school, and have around 500K to spend on a house. From my research I've found Kailua, Hawaii Kai, and Kaneohe as possible options. Any thoughts on these or any other good areas near the city would be appreciated.
As I've stated here in several other threads, many of Hawaii's reputable, mainstream doctors (M.D.s) left the Islands long ago. Its simply not a favorable environment for most of them (i.e., too much micro-management by HMOs and protectionist bureaucrats). So, there should be plenty of slots around the state, especially outer island.

However, I doubt you'll be able to buy a decent single family home in either of the three Oahu communities you mentioned for $500K. It'll certainly serve as a good down payment or you, or you could opt for a small condo.

If you had been here just three weeks ago, you could have purchased the modest house across across the street from me and maybe resumed the medical practice of the former owner (an OB/GYN), but it sold for $965K last week after having been listed for 9-months at $1.2 million.

Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalero View Post
As I've stated here in several other threads, many of Hawaii's reputable, mainstream doctors (M.D.s) left the Islands long ago. Its simply not a favorable environment for most of them (i.e., too much micro-management by HMOs and protectionist bureaucrats). So, there should be plenty of slots around the state, especially outer island.

However, I doubt you'll be able to buy a decent single family home in either of the three Oahu communities you mentioned for $500K. It'll certainly serve as a good down payment or you, or you could opt for a small condo.

If you had been here just three weeks ago, you could have purchased the modest house across across the street from me and maybe resumed the medical practice of the former owner (an OB/GYN), but it sold for $965K last week after having been listed for 9-months at $1.2 million.

Good Luck.

Thank You

Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
Quote:
Aloha!

I have been working in health care for many, many years. Sadly, Hawaii's market is monopolized by BCBS (HMSA) (and Kaiser to a lesser extent). Reimbursements are very poor and physicians cannot negotiate with HMSA or any other payers. Depending on your specialty, malpractice insurance can be very expensive. In reality, after you pay all of your business expenses and taxes (very high), you'll be fortunate to keep 15-20 cents on every dollar collected. A lot of physicians have their offices in Honolulu (town), but depending on your specialty, you could easily set up a practice in Pearl City or Aiea, Kailua or Kaneohe, or Waialae or Kahala.

As for housing, I agree with the others about renting in a few different locations before buying anything. If you want a nice house on a sizable lot in a good neighborhood, you are looking at far more than 500K. Here are some neighborhoods you might want to do some research on:

Manoa: average price for a single family home is 800K+
Waialae: average is 650K-1M+
Kahala: 1-30M
Aina Haina: 750K+
Hawaii Kai: varies quite a bit from 650-2M
Kailua: varies quite a bit from 650-1.6M
Lanikai (Kailua Beach side): 1M-12+M

I think you and your family would feel comfortable in any one of these communities.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 PM

53 posts, read 228,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Aloha!

I have been working in health care for many, many years. Sadly, Hawaii's market is monopolized by BCBS (HMSA) (and Kaiser to a lesser extent).
I would respectfully take issue with the equating of Hawaii Medical Services Association (HMSA) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS).

I too have worked in the health care industry now for many years, and while its true that HSMA likes to tie itself to BCBS for 'positive' marketing and public appearance purposes, the reality is, they are nothing close to BCBS in terms of service, reputation or professionalism.

I've had BCBS on the U.S. Mainland dating as far back as 1975 (pre HMOs), and what the average medical patient experiences here in Hawaii with HMSA bears no resemblance whatsoever. They (HMSA) are nothing more than a corrupt bunch of ("non-profit") thieves, that have crafted themselves a very nice little "local" entity by which to steal from both physicians and patients, while paying-out millions of dollars in bonuses to their executives, like AIG.

Its only a matter of time before Kaiser-Permanente sweeps the floor with them, and good riddance in my view!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
Perhaps, we agree here. I should have just mentioned HMSA instead of BCBS, but I was assuming the OP has never heard of HMSA. HMSA gets away with "things" because they are not an insurance company per say, rather they are a "mutual benefit society". Clever! HMSA's arrogance is legendary!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 PM

all this info is very interesting. If i get this right it seems like I would get paid lower than average and have to pay more than average to live here. I love Hawaii, but this definitly make it a hard decision. Is there any chance for healthcare reform in the future, or should I just set my sights on the mainland.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Quote:
all this info is very interesting. If i get this right it seems like I would get paid lower than average and have to pay more than average to live here. I love Hawaii, but this definitly make it a hard decision. Is there any chance for healthcare reform in the future, or should I just set my sights on the mainland.

Aloha,
This will be one of your hardest decisions you will make. Yes I am later in my life and we just made the decision to take a pay cut to live in Hawaii. It is a very personal thing and you need to figure out what you want out of life some things are not black and white but sometime the adventure is priceless. Its not always about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu