Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 13,442 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Oahu in a few weeks, I was wondering if it would be best to buy a motorcycle here and have it shipped (at no cost to me, thanks to the Navy) or wait until I arrive. Or, is it even worth it to have a motorcycle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 01:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,928,791 times
Lots of people have motorcycles on Oahu ... lots of military have them ... lots of accidents ... think for yourself ... weather is certainly great ... easy to find one for sale on island

Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillirp View Post
I will be moving to Oahu in a few weeks, I was wondering if it would be best to buy a motorcycle here and have it shipped (at no cost to me, thanks to the Navy) or wait until I arrive. Or, is it even worth it to have a motorcycle?
I think you need more clarification:

Will this be your only mode of transportation? Keep in mind it can rain a lot, especially as winter approaches and depending where you are based. It can be a challenge to depend solely on public transportation.

Do you want a brand new motorcycle - that is likely more expensive in Oahu. Used - probably not much of an issue, just depends on your taste and availability/finding the right bike.

Is this for fun only? I rarely see motorcycle on the main commute during rush hour - as I mentioned there is the rain - and its hot (helmet/clothes).

Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM

140 posts, read 408,329 times
if you are using the freeways and don't car pool, then a motorcycle is ideal. but at the same time it can be dangerous because of cagers.

you can check out local pricing on craigslist, a lot of times hawaii's pricing is skewed. there's usually more of them for sale when ppl are getting deployed.

having a motorcycle is also a social thing too. there are a lot of clubs, but it depends on who you want to ride with.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,103,880 times
A motorcycle on Oahu was my only mode of transportation for about ten years and it was great. Wet at times, but real easy to thread through congestion and find parking. However, my daily commute was all in town and not a very long distance, either. It was also a smaller motorcycle.

Just remember that as a motorcycle rider you are invisible and if they could see you, they'd be out to get you. A little paranoia is a really good thing when you're on a motorcycle. Keep the shiny side up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu