Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM

49 posts, read 157,159 times

Advertisements

I decided to write this post, to help out everybody else doubting wether or not move to Hawaii.
So this is my story:
Im 27,I moved to the island of Oahu six months ago, I have always wanted to live in Hawaii,always, so my boyfriend and I made the move. Everybody in the mainland told us, it was too expensive and unrealistic to live in Hawaii. Every forum every post on the internet that I read will also say life in the island was VERY expensive and can be hard to adjust, but when you have your dreams and all the expectations to live in a dream place no matter what others tell you, you'll end up doing whatever your heart asks you to do.
So we knew the cost of living was going to be high, reading, asking people that have lived here. we knew it, we knew getting a job will be hard, we knew what we were getting into and what we were going to deal with...we just didn't know to what extent and that is exactly what you are going to figure out by yourself. others may tell you but the exact information you will be finding out as your trip to the island begins.
I have lived in Florida,Colorado,Texas and New York from all the cities I've lived,Hawaii was by far the most difficult place to understand and adjust.
We live in Waikiki, we ride the bus to go everywhere, we pay 1200 dollars a month for the smallest apartment we ever lived, it took me 1 month and a half to get a job, I still don't have friends.
I've been to all the incredible beaches,hanauma bay,north shore,shraks cove,kailua,ewa, done hikings, makapuu,stairway to heaven,kamiloiki, done some tours, polinesian cultural center, pearl harbor.
Life here is far different from a vacation, I'm leaving in a couple of months, Im not bitter nor upset, Im glad I did move, otherwise I will never known what will be like If I didn't. I have learned a lot from disappointments, downfalls on the road, frustrations, I have grown up as a person, I had the time to do some self reflection, and I have now a clear mind of my goals in life so this six months has opened my eyes to what direction I should conduct my life.
So to everyone else trying to move, you'll probably end up doing it, If that is what you've been wanting for a long time, do it, you only live once,If you don't give it a try, you will always wonder what would have happened but do it so, having somewhat of a realistic game plan. The island is not for everybody and not everybody is for the island and only you will find out if you belong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Gosh Jenny - you must really hate it here (for those of you who take that literally - it isn't meant to be literal), between this thread you started, the live cheaply thread, opinions on best places to move, and the looking to relocate thread you've been pretty darn consistent you want out of here - and fast. And, don't forget the blog.

I recommed for anyone looking to move to Hawaii - do some research, look at apartment ads on craigs, figure your moving expenses, understand you generally don't make a lot of money here and be ok with it, everything is more expensive - and if you are caucasion, understand that this is only 1 of 2 states you are in the minority, and that can take getting used to. If you haven't interacted much with Asian culture you may have a difficult time adjusting.

Last edited by whtviper1; 10-18-2011 at 04:25 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Gosh Jenny - you must really hate it here, between this thread you started, the live cheaply thread, opinions on best places to move, and the looking to relocate thread you've been pretty darn consistent you want out of here - and fast. And, don't forget the blog.

I recommed for anyone looking to move to Hawaii - do some research, look at apartment ads on craigs, figure your moving expenses, understand you generally don't make a lot of money here and be ok with it, everything is more expensive - and if you are caucasion, understand that this is only 1 of 2 states you are in the minority, and that can take getting used to. If you haven't interacted much with Asian culture you may have a difficult time adjusting.
I do not hate it here,Im glad I did it and this has been one more chapter in my life. Im a much stronger person than I was six months ago and Im truly blessed for that. I believe there is a reason for everything we do in life. My intention was never to sound like a hater, maybe the way I write sometimes may sound harsh to you, but english is not my first language, spanish is.

I other hand, yes, All I say is based on my experience, and as I said the island is not for everybody and not everybody is for the island, Im clearly not, but others may be yes, so by moving they will determine that.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
Whtviper1, you are being rude and unfair. I've looked at most of jennypal's posts, and I don't see ANY hate whatsoever. She seems realistic and stoic, accepting her experience, learning about herself and what she wants, and saying that what she wants isn't compatible with what she found. I've found her posts to be honest and non-bitter, as well as helpful and encouraging to those thinking of doing what she did. Anyways, your second paragraph is essentially repeating and agreeing with what she said: do your research.

Jennypal, could you post your blog URL on your profile as the moderator suggested? I didn't see the link before it was removed. I'd be interested in reading more about your experience. Best of luck.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM

just to add a couple more things. In fact I didn't get the job I wanted and I dont make the money I wanted BUT one day I was at Tiki's bar, our waiter was a very nice and talkative guy, he told us he has always been passionate about photography and he is going to school for that, he invited me to go to the school and volunteer as a model, since everybody needs one to practice. I went, I had a blast, the pictures turned out amazing, later that week a lot of the students were auditioning to work as an extra in the upcoming show the river filming in the north shore, I also auditioned I had a portfolio with the pictures the students took me. 3 weeks later I got a call I played an extra in one episode. it was definitely one in a life time experience! If I would have never met this waiter, If I have never moved to the island, maybe this chance would have never happened. I now have in my resume an acting role in one episode and guess what I really liked it. so now moving back to the mainland Im going to look for acting gigs, I would have never imagined being on tv. Things always happen for a reason maybe things didnt work out as I planned in the island but it definitely opened doors for me.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Whtviper1, you are being rude and unfair. I've looked at most of jennypal's posts, and I don't see ANY hate whatsoever. She seems realistic and stoic, accepting her experience, learning about herself and what she wants, and saying that what she wants isn't compatible with what she found. I've found her posts to be honest and non-bitter, as well as helpful and encouraging to those thinking of doing what she did. Anyways, your second paragraph is essentially repeating and agreeing with what she said: do your research.

Jennypal, could you post your blog URL on your profile as the moderator suggested? I didn't see the link before it was removed. I'd be interested in reading more about your experience. Best of luck.
Thank you for supporting me KauaiHiker! I havent posted the blog but I will soon.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,175 times
Hi jennypal, awesome post! I'm still not sure..California or Hawaii. Reading all this threads have given me an idea about Hawaii. thank you.
whtviper1 .you sound like the hater!!! what do you want, everyone posting great things about the place, we ''doubting'' need accurate information.
I have read a lot of posts about Hawaii, they all are mixed reviews some like it some hate it...what is the problem? everyone is different.
you are rude and definitely not an example of the aloha spirit.gosh be ashamed of yourself. bye

Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Jenny, thanks for posting here. So many people get mad at us when we try to tell them the “realities” of living in Hawaii. It's nice to get some new input from someone who made the plunge and found out it wasn't for her.

No, Jenny's experiences are not going to be everyone's experiences. (My husband and I moved here as retirees, after owning our house for five years). But at least she expressed her views and gave lots of reasons why she's moving on. Hopefully all you other people wanting to move to paradise will read posts like Jenny's and take it to heart.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
I haven't read other posts but yours was a very realistic description of your time in the islands. Living in Hawaii is hard- there is practically a whole other culture to adapt to, plus having to be far away from friends and family and the high cost of things. I think that it is great that you realize things aren't working it out and respecting the time for what it is. I hope that things start turning around for you soon!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
and if you are caucasion, understand that this is only 1 of 2 states you are in the minority, and that can take getting used to. If you haven't interacted much with Asian culture you may have a difficult time adjusting.
That's what attracts me.

Years in Asia, and I'd miss being around Asian culture and Asian ethnicites. I even did a stint in San Francisco (as a way to have a blend of Asian and back home cultures)....SF wasn't Asian enough for me.

Honolulu just oozes it...I love it.

But when I inquiries who seem to have no interest whatsoever in the people and cultures of Hawaii...and are simply looking to live in a place they heard is beautiful, and have no other knowledge or curiousity or interest in the cultures...

I always wonder...how long will they last? Hawaii seems completely different in that respect from living in Japan, for example. If someone wants to move to Japan, they'll study the history, the culture, the everything. However, when people talk about moving to Hawaii, they seem to be more interested in all kinds of other aspects except the types of people and cultures that live there.

Not saying the OP was that way, but just general observations here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu