Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 16,203 times

Advertisements

Please help with some advice. We are a family of 8 with young children moving to Waianae, I am hearing nightmare stories of rough, homeless people living in tents on the beach, robberies etc...is this really how bad it is or is this just people exaggerating stories? We are a biracial military family..I am really worried! Any advice from anyone who has lived there will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
Please help with some advice. We are a family of 8 with young children moving to Waianae, I am hearing nightmare stories of rough, homeless people living in tents on the beach, robberies etc...is this really how bad it is or is this just people exaggerating stories? We are a biracial military family..I am really worried! Any advice from anyone who has lived there will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Where in Waianae are you moving? Will you be in base housing? Is it one of the newer communities like Sea Country? SC and and parts of Maili are okay. Where will your spouse be stationed? Perhaps you should look in Makakilo, Kapolei and Ewa.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM

No base housing, we are renting off of a retired military couple who own a home there. They said it was very nice, we saw pictures it's a really nice house, and they are a sweet couple and said that they never had a problem there. It's not in sea country but it is close to there. Maili is also close..and they have said that it is close to the Waianae mall?? I hope this info helps? Please let me know. I just feel like as with any other place that there are good and bad people and if we go into this with respect of the people there that we won't have problems?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
No base housing, we are renting off of a retired military couple who own a home there. They said it was very nice, we saw pictures it's a really nice house, and they are a sweet couple and said that they never had a problem there. It's not in sea country but it is close to there. Maili is also close..and they have said that it is close to the Waianae mall?? I hope this info helps? Please let me know. I just feel like as with any other place that there are good and bad people and if we go into this with respect of the people there that we won't have problems?
I just moved away from Hawaii last June after living there for over 12 years. I don't know of a Waianae "Mall." There is very limited shopping in Waianae. There is more shopping in Kapolei which is approximately 7-10 miles east. Kapolei is very nice!

If you love the beach, I personally think the beaches are very nice in Waianae, but I would not live there because of the schools and overall socio-economic stresses in the area. I love Hawaii and love most of the people, but Waianae can be a little challenging. I hate saying it, but it's my opinion.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM

181 posts, read 585,797 times
More than likely, you'll be alright as far as the neighborhood goes, BUT there is no avoiding the schools. Your kids' education is an obvious priority and the schools in the area are not the best to put it mildly.

If you do sent them to school in Waianae, be prepared to home school them as well. The education they are going to get will just not be enough.

Check out the school district's ratings. (Its a pay site, but it'll be worth it for you to know what you are getting into.)

Waianae, HI Public School rankings & ratings

(http://www.schoolsk-12.com/Hawaii/Wahiawa/HALEKULAELEMENTARYSCHOOL.html - broken link)

Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,448 times
I grew up by the mall.. back in the day there was no mall. Next to the mall they built 2, 7 story low income structures an eye sore!!

For the most part its a great area to live in... I would still live there just the TRAFFIC!!! to and from town.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,333 times
There is a "mall" but the anchors are Longs Drugs and Payless shoes. There is a Jamba Juice & Starbucks, plus PizzaHut, IIRC.

Look into Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei. Many of my neighbors send their kids there and rave about it.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
There is a "mall" but the anchors are Longs Drugs and Payless shoes. There is a Jamba Juice & Starbucks, plus PizzaHut, IIRC.

Look into Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei. Many of my neighbors send their kids there and rave about it.
I had my grandson in IPA, an absolutely wonderful school. Great academics and a great Ohana feel.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 AM

Thank you all so much for the great info! My fears are settled for now!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM

181 posts, read 585,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post

And what would it cost to send SIX kids there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu