Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,478 times

Advertisements

Another moving to honolulu blog 2012

Posted 03-09-2012 at 11:19 PM by spacekadet1000
Updated 03-09-2012 at 02:28 AM by spacekadet1000
Hello all, this is my first time on here. I appreciate any help. My fiance and I are thinking about moving to Honolulu . We both have college educations. B.S. in Management for us both. I work for Hilton hotels currently she has hotel experience and current is a waitress while she finishes up the end of her last class for college. We plan to have between 7 to 12 thousand in saving before we go and I will most likely have a job at the Waikiki Hilton in Honolulu making roughly 18-22/hr. I also sell imports from Indonesia and India such as necklaces, sarongs, wooden jewelry and other misc items. She has lived on Kona and I have visited Honolulu. We currently live in the Mid West and are more than ready to leave. We are adventurous and do not get homesick easily. We both know how to live on a budget (and still have fun....We are looking for general advice and more specifically looking for nice safe areas to live with easy commute to Honolulu or even nice areas within Honolulu. I would like rent to be between 1000-1350 but may be able to swing 1500-1600 eventually. P.S. Im afraid of sharks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet1000 View Post
Another moving to honolulu blog 2012

Posted 03-09-2012 at 11:19 PM by spacekadet1000
Updated 03-09-2012 at 02:28 AM by spacekadet1000
Hello all, this is my first time on here. I appreciate any help. My fiance and I are thinking about moving to Honolulu . We both have college educations. B.S. in Management for us both. I work for Hilton hotels currently she has hotel experience and current is a waitress while she finishes up the end of her last class for college. We plan to have between 7 to 12 thousand in saving before we go and I will most likely have a job at the Waikiki Hilton in Honolulu making roughly 18-22/hr. I also sell imports from Indonesia and India such as necklaces, sarongs, wooden jewelry and other misc items. She has lived on Kona and I have visited Honolulu. We currently live in the Mid West and are more than ready to leave. We are adventurous and do not get homesick easily. We both know how to live on a budget (and still have fun....We are looking for general advice and more specifically looking for nice safe areas to live with easy commute to Honolulu or even nice areas within Honolulu. I would like rent to be between 1000-1350 but may be able to swing 1500-1600 eventually. P.S. Im afraid of sharks
Well - since you've asked for general advice I'll take the bait. You need to rethink your strategy of moving to Hawaii. Your income is woefully inadequate and you'll blow thru all of your savings. Why bother going to college to make under $40K a year and live on one of the most expensive places in the United States?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 AM

13 posts, read 32,258 times
What I would recommend you to do is to secure a job position with the Hilton prior your arrival. The job market is pretty bad right now. Getting a job in hospitality isn't as easy as everyone seem to think unless you speak Japanese. Most 5 star hotels and restaurants much rather hire someone bilingual in Japanese, Korean or even Chinese. If you do not speak any of those as second language you are behind your game regardless how much experience in the field you have. You can go on craigslist and look at the job ads in hospitality, you will find that 90% of ads will emphasize the headline "Japanese preferred". But if you speak Japanese you will have a very easy time getting a job. I also have a degree in business and used to work for the Wyndham time shares in ST Pete Florida, I had a hard time getting a job in Hawaii for my inability to speak Japanese. I did have some job offers that I turned down because I wasn't willing to work for so little, about that I forgot to mention you get paid less in Hawaii than any other state in the mainland and consider the coat of living maybe twice as much depending on where you come from. Do some more research and good luck!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,817,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet1000 View Post
We are looking for general advice and more specifically looking for nice safe areas to live with easy commute to Honolulu or even nice areas within Honolulu. I would like rent to be between 1000-1350
I'd recommend that you only sign a short term (no more than 3 months) lease, or better yet, go month-to-month, until you have a chance to look around.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM

37 posts, read 61,756 times
I cannot imagine why othes do not think you'd have a chance.. According to you, you'll have a job at the hilton, that salary for one person seems perfectly fine (not even counting the other potential salary). Heck, there are always apts avail at the Marin Tower downtown going for $1100 one bedroom, I walk by there every day. Lots of non japanese speaking people live and work here and I see white faces all the time working in the restaurants and in the hotels.. lol.

I think the other responses are great and everybody replies based on how they see things... If I made 40K I'd be over the moon!! But yes, 10 years ago in San Francisco I made 49K and I have never even remotely apprached that amount of salary here, but i still live here and get by...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: