Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,482 times

Advertisements

Im a 28y/o single male in AZ by way of NC. I've been in Phoenix for about 8 months, and haven't really cared for it at all. I've been considering a move for a few months, and to add a little urgency to my search, my roommate just informed me that they(a couple), may take a job offer in Boston. As I said, I was already planning to leave, so I'm not too beat up about the timing. However, I'd be remiss to say that the news hasn't put a little fire under my search. With that being said....

I actually thought of HI as a possibility a few years ago, but wrote it off for a few reasons that I'll elaborate on a little later. Figuring I'd better take a smaller step first, I settled on Phoenix; I do not regret the fact that I moved here, I'm quite proud of myself considering that everyone I've known for any length of time is over two thousand miles away, but I do think that Phoenix was a bad choice for my personality. One thing that I did realize after making the move though is that it was definitely not as difficult as I had imagined, not nearly so....I transferred stores job wise, and my roommates are about the best you could ask for--a smooth transition, all the way. So with that in mind, the fact that I'm not happy here, and the fact that I am childless/single/completely healthy, the idea of trying something bigger has resurfaced in my young mind.

A little about me. I'm 28 going on 40; so I am now, as I've always been, extremely mature for my age. I DO NOT smoke or drink, no drugs of course, and I have the same job that I've had for over seven years...I'm not going anywhere unless I decide to, I'm very secure there. I'm very down to earth, intelligent, open minded, and respectful to everyone. I'm more of a homebody with a love for nature than the going out type, and I don't have any kids--I therefore have zero concern for the "nightlife/bar scene" or school system. Being that I've never been to HI, I have no clue how these qualities will translate over to the Island culture; they're pretty universally sought IMO though, so I don't worry about that too much. After reading some of the forum responses from residents, however, I do have a few main concerns...

-General attitude of the locals. I am a BIG boy in both mentality and body, I certainly can handle my own. However, I'd be the new kid on the block, so I have no idea of the customs, what's accepted as friendly and what isn't(learned a few things the hard way here in PHX, sheesh). How different is HI from the mainland in this aspect? Are people generally the same, as long as you show the respect that you expect in return?
-Cost of living. This is the number one reason that I alluded to earlier for writing HI off. It doesn't take a local to know that if you're on an island, things are going to cost more. However, I've noticed in the last six years that I've been on my own that the "cost of living" that is generally referred to has little impact on me at this point in my life. I plan to rent from someone initially, so what I pay would be based on what they charge--not the going rate as if I were to find my own place. I live on the bare minimum, by choice, so I use very little of anything. The only thing that I can see as being a bigger hit on my wallet would be food costs. Again, I use very little, waste even less, so I don't expect it to break me even if it were double what it is here...I've never been there though, so I'd love to hear it from a resident.
-Employment. I DO have a job, one in which I can transfer...good ol' Target. It's not the best, but it's very stable and works for me(I'd be losing a car payment if I did decide on Hawaii, so that's even less that I'd have to pay/make). I'm wondering about other employment opportunities; I don't want to stay with Target, so I'd like to have an idea of what else is available. These forums REALLY have me worried about that one, lol.
-Public transit, bike friendliness. I haven't been without a car for more than a few months since I was 16; I definitely cannot afford to have my car shipped, so I'd be leaving it here. How is the PT system in HI, specifically in the airport area since that's where I'd hopefully be(Target's there)? Are the roads as bike friendly as I'd imagine?

I'll probably edit this later as more concerns come to mind, I'm basically writing this on the fly. ANY legitimate, positive, and realistic responses would be very helpful at this point, the clock is officially ticking, lol. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,517,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf83 View Post
Im a 28y/o single male in AZ by way of NC. I've been in Phoenix for about 8 months, and haven't really cared for it at all. I've been considering a move for a few months, and to add a little urgency to my search, my roommate just informed me that they(a couple), may take a job offer in Boston. As I said, I was already planning to leave, so I'm not too beat up about the timing. However, I'd be remiss to say that the news hasn't put a little fire under my search. With that being said....

I actually thought of HI as a possibility a few years ago, but wrote it off for a few reasons that I'll elaborate on a little later. Figuring I'd better take a smaller step first, I settled on Phoenix; I do not regret the fact that I moved here, I'm quite proud of myself considering that everyone I've known for any length of time is over two thousand miles away, but I do think that Phoenix was a bad choice for my personality. One thing that I did realize after making the move though is that it was definitely not as difficult as I had imagined, not nearly so....I transferred stores job wise, and my roommates are about the best you could ask for--a smooth transition, all the way. So with that in mind, the fact that I'm not happy here, and the fact that I am childless/single/completely healthy, the idea of trying something bigger has resurfaced in my young mind.

A little about me. I'm 28 going on 40; so I am now, as I've always been, extremely mature for my age. I DO NOT smoke or drink, no drugs of course, and I have the same job that I've had for over seven years...I'm not going anywhere unless I decide to, I'm very secure there. I'm very down to earth, intelligent, open minded, and respectful to everyone. I'm more of a homebody with a love for nature than the going out type, and I don't have any kids--I therefore have zero concern for the "nightlife/bar scene" or school system. Being that I've never been to HI, I have no clue how these qualities will translate over to the Island culture; they're pretty universally sought IMO though, so I don't worry about that too much. After reading some of the forum responses from residents, however, I do have a few main concerns...

-General attitude of the locals. I am a BIG boy in both mentality and body, I certainly can handle my own. However, I'd be the new kid on the block, so I have no idea of the customs, what's accepted as friendly and what isn't(learned a few things the hard way here in PHX, sheesh). How different is HI from the mainland in this aspect? Are people generally the same, as long as you show the respect that you expect in return?
-Cost of living. This is the number one reason that I alluded to earlier for writing HI off. It doesn't take a local to know that if you're on an island, things are going to cost more. However, I've noticed in the last six years that I've been on my own that the "cost of living" that is generally referred to has little impact on me at this point in my life. I plan to rent from someone initially, so what I pay would be based on what they charge--not the going rate as if I were to find my own place. I live on the bare minimum, by choice, so I use very little of anything. The only thing that I can see as being a bigger hit on my wallet would be food costs. Again, I use very little, waste even less, so I don't expect it to break me even if it were double what it is here...I've never been there though, so I'd love to hear it from a resident.
-Employment. I DO have a job, one in which I can transfer...good ol' Target. It's not the best, but it's very stable and works for me(I'd be losing a car payment if I did decide on Hawaii, so that's even less that I'd have to pay/make). I'm wondering about other employment opportunities; I don't want to stay with Target, so I'd like to have an idea of what else is available. These forums REALLY have me worried about that one, lol.
-Public transit, bike friendliness. I haven't been without a car for more than a few months since I was 16; I definitely cannot afford to have my car shipped, so I'd be leaving it here. How is the PT system in HI, specifically in the airport area since that's where I'd hopefully be(Target's there)? Are the roads as bike friendly as I'd imagine?

I'll probably edit this later as more concerns come to mind, I'm basically writing this on the fly. ANY legitimate, positive, and realistic responses would be very helpful at this point, the clock is officially ticking, lol. Thanks in advance!
Skipping past all the other parts of your post... If you cannot afford to spend about $1,100 to ship your car, you cannot afford to try and move here.
(This assumes you are talking about moving to Oahu, which is the 2nd most expensive city in the US in which to live)

Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,184 times
Quote:
A little about me. I'm 28 going on 40; so I am now, as I've always been, extremely mature for my age.
You sound like someone I would want to be friends with. However, you are not asking about that, you're asking about moving to Hawai'i. So my question to you would then be, do you have the savings of a 28 year old or of a 40 year old? Can you afford to by a house or condo? Will you also be able to keep enough in savings so that IF Hawai'i does not work out for you, you can then move back home and re-establish yourself?

Quote:
I've never been there though...
I would suggest you visit first and while you are there do not do all the fun touristy things. Spend your time researching and living within the budget you will have when you move there. Before you go, do a search for an area that you can afford to live in, and try to get a motel as close to that area as possible.

Wishing you the best of luck in what ever direction you go.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 AM

I COULD ship my car if it's 1,100, I assumed it would be more without looking, but it would wipe me out. I'm just thinking that it may not be worth it.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
You sound like someone I would want to be friends with. However, you are not asking about that, you're asking about moving to Hawai'i. So my question to you would then be, do you have the savings of a 28 year old or of a 40 year old? Can you afford to by a house or condo? Will you also be able to keep enough in savings so that IF Hawai'i does not work out for you, you can then move back home and re-establish yourself?

I would suggest you visit first and while you are there do not do all the fun touristy things. Spend your time researching and living within the budget you will have when you move there. Before you go, do a search for an area that you can afford to live in, and try to get a motel as close to that area as possible.

Wishing you the best of luck in what ever direction you go.
WTF are savings??? Seriously, I definitely don't have the savings of a 40 year old, that was just a reference to my mentality. I would like to visit, and that would be a smart thing to do, but I'd rather save that money for relocating. It's a risky thing to move somewhere sight unseen, but like I told all of the naysayers in NC who said the same of AZ, I could always leave as I came. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,184 times
Quote:
WTF are savings??? Seriously, I definitely don't have the savings of a 40 year old, that was just a reference to my mentality. I would like to visit, and that would be a smart thing to do, but I'd rather save that money for relocating. It's a risky thing to move somewhere sight unseen, but like I told all of the naysayers in NC who said the same of AZ, I could always leave as I came. Thanks for the feedback!
Then in my opinion, Hawai'i is not for you, at least not at this time. However, if you do decide to go anyway, PLEASE at least have enough set aside, untouched, so that you can get yourself back home.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Then in my opinion, Hawai'i is not for you, at least not at this time. However, if you do decide to go anyway, PLEASE at least have enough set aside, untouched, so that you can get yourself back home.
Of course, I even did that for AZ. Wouldn't want to add to the homeless population....

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,531,181 times
Honestly, I don't think you should move. Do some more reading on the forums, there's tons of good info. I just don't see how working at Target would give you enough money to survive in such an expensive location.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:

Let's start with a realistic response. You've never been here. You only know Hawaii from commercials and Hawaii Five O. Even if you transferred with a $100K job rather than a minimum wage job I would find it odd for anyone to recommend moving to Hawaii site unseen.

Your vision of Hawaii is pretty far off - especially when you say, are the roads as bike friendly as I'd imagine? They aren't. They are very bike unfriendly.

The Target stores here aren't exactly on great public transportation lines. It's very hard to get by without a car here. (Think grocery shopping and rain).

Even the I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs may give you more challenges fitting in . Maybe you should consider Utah?

Anyway - take some vacations here over the next couple of years. Move when you have substantial savings and can get a job above minimum wage.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,081 times
If your car is in good working order then ship it, it'll cost $1100 from Long Beach to Honolulu. You'll really need a car (IMHO).

You will definitely need savings, I would say at least $5000. You have a job and that's a good thing, but you will need to find a place to live. Studios and one bedrooms are going to cost you at least $1000 to $1200 a month plus a deposit; and that's for a smallish apartment. You didn't mention furnishing, so you'd have to get something unless you rent a furnished unit, which will be more money.

The Targets are in Kapolei (West Oahu), Aiea/Salt Lake area and downtown. All three have housing areas where you can find housing in the above price range.

I love Hawaii and the environment is wonderful, if you are prepared to be accepting of other cultures.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: