Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

I've been tossing about the idea of getting a small ship starting a shipping business servicing Hawaii. I have been doing some reading on here and research about the current rates, but what I've seen is a couple years old and I would think recent fuel increases may have driven up the cost.

Just wondering what kinda rates are being charged for shipping from California to Honolulu? (40' Containers and vehicles). Would you guess there is much volume from Hawaii back to the Mainland?

What are your experiences with the current (3?) carriers, would a new one be welcomed? Because I would be a small operation, perhaps there would be a niche to a currently undeserved smaller area/island?

Before anyone shoots me down instantly, please understand I am just brainstorming, I am aware of licensing, insurance requirements etc. If I decide to do anything like this, I will conduct more market research - but I'm just exploring options now and want to get a feel for it, and opinions from you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
The current three carriers are just the dominent recognized carriers but there are about 8 all total. The truth is there isn't enough business for most ship owners to enter the Hawaii market considering the limits of shipped goods. Unlike most other places where you have point beyond, Hawaii is mostly a traditionally end port. It is not cost effectve or efficient for a ship yto leave the mainland, stop at Hawaii load and/or off load and go to points west. It is so much cheaper to load at the departure point and go right past Hawaii to the final destination.

Matson and Horizon Lines are able to profit because they ship the bulk of good between the mainland an Hawaii. By onky having two carriers, they are able to operate at a higher load capacity. If there were more ships involved, each would be carrying less and at some point, its no longre profitable for them and thats why nobody else has enetered the market. Pasha is the dominent roll on/off carrier and does the bulk of the wheeled cargo type but also can handle certain deck cargo. As with all three, 75% of their business is between the mainland and hawaii with only about 25% between hawaii and the mainland. You ahve to have serious east to west income to counter the revenue lost going west to east.

Now, although there is really little need for another cargo carrier, there is one area that is grossly underserved (not really served at all) and that is passneger service between the mainland and hawaii. Now, we are nto atlking crusie ship travel but rather the old style "crossing". Since air travel is really the only scheduled way to get to Hawaii anymore, those who have a flying phobia or need special attention (relocating with pets and dont want to use air travel) are sheet out of luck. That might be a posssible niche market that can be sucessful if market reserach support it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
I was thinking pet relocation as well. That seems to be a sticking point with many people wanting to travel with their pets.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I was thinking pet relocation as well. That seems to be a sticking point with many people wanting to travel with their pets.
The company i worked for is nearing a market research to create a passenger with pet flights, but so far, all market research is indcating that everyone wants it, but nobody wants to pay for it. i suspect the same will hapen for sea travel, people will all say yes, Yes YES untilt hey hear the cost and suddenly, fido ain't worth it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The company i worked for is nearing a market research to create a passenger with pet flights, but so far, all market research is indcating that everyone wants it, but nobody wants to pay for it. i suspect the same will hapen for sea travel, people will all say yes, Yes YES untilt hey hear the cost and suddenly, fido ain't worth it.
Well - I'd be interested in a cruise ship with a pool, gambling, buffets etc from the West Coast to Hawaii, I've always been surprised there seems to be no regular market for that. But 10 days on a barge without ammenities doesn't sound appealing at all.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - I'd be interested in a cruise ship with a pool, gambling, buffets etc from the West Coast to Hawaii, I've always been surprised there seems to be no regular market for that. But 10 days on a barge without ammenities doesn't sound appealing at all.
The major lines did the study and there was no way they will ever fill a regular scheuled crusie ship crossing to Hawaii to even break even. Their repositiong cruises don't even cover basic cost, but since they are going that way, might as well grab some money somehow.

A crossing on a regular scheduled basis would probably only get enough passenegers for maybe a once a month trip and you will need to have a much smaller vessel than the cruise lines and offer some smoking ammenties to get a person to sail for 5 days seeing nothing.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - I'd be interested in a cruise ship with a pool, gambling, buffets etc from the West Coast to Hawaii, I've always been surprised there seems to be no regular market for that.
Cruises to Hawaii, Hawaii Cruise Itinerary - Carnival Cruise Lines

Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
That's not bad at all - 15 days roundtrip for $1,200. now I just have to get 15 days off work

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM

Thanks, was wondering what they weregoing to do with the extra ships when they changed scheduling. I assumed it would go to the carribean but looks like they will give Hawaii a try. Humm may book one to see what its like.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Thanks, was wondering what they weregoing to do with the extra ships when they changed scheduling. I assumed it would go to the carribean but looks like they will give Hawaii a try. Humm may book one to see what its like.
Carnival has been going to Hawai'i from Vancouver and Ensenada for a long time. Now you can even start the trip in LA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: