Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM

16 posts, read 36,215 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

My husband and I are here for a week for his training. He is working at the Pearl Harbor Navy base and I'm hanging out at the hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village).

We'd really like to get out of the city and see Hawaii. We live in Alaska and live in a VERY touristy town so we know that there is the "tourist" area and then the "real" area. We'd love to see actual Hawaii.

Also, we're searching the US for places for him to transfer to. In his job with the government Hawaii is ONE place we're considering. It seems to be very similar to Southeast Alaska where we live.

We live in a Rainforest, we have a lot of natural beauty. So we are very green and pretty. We have a lot of rain (something like 300 days of precip per year). We have some very strict criteria where we would like to live. It has to be green and it has to be on the ocean.

Juneau Alaska is a very expensive place to live and Hawaii seems to be about the same. I've gone into grocery stores (heard horror stories about how expensive it is) but I've noticed that the prices are about the same as they are at home, if not cheaper for produce grown locally. All our produce is flown in on the airplane at home so we understand expenses. Also, where we live is very much "you are stuck there" kinda place. You can only get out of Juneau via boat or airplane. Much like Hawaii.

I've heard lots of good things and lots of bad things. We'd need to live in an area where we could buy a house, our current house is 1700 square feet with a 600 square foot garage and it's cost is at $352,000 so we'd like to stay in that price range and/or size range.

Any suggestions on either topic would be appriciated. I've viewed MANY of the threads about moving to Hawaii. We'd not transfer for 5 years (I have a 13 year old daughter that wants to finish school where we live) so we have lots of time to look at this location as well as others. Husband makes a good living and I have my own business as a dog groomer. Though I'm not sure if I'd continue that business or go another direction with my life or just be a stay at home wife.

We also have parrots. 2 macaws, 3 amazons, 1 cockatoo and 1 grass parakeet. I found lots of good information on this site about importing our pets and while complicated, does not seem that big of a deal. I'm sure I can work all that out.

Does anyone know of people that house their parrots outside here? I'm hoping to move to a place where my parrots can be outside if not 24/7 at least more than they get outside in Juneau Alaska! (which is like 6-7 days a year! lol)

I can't wait to take a drive on Friday and explore the island a little more. While I enjoy the pretty buildings and lights of the tourist area and all the interesting people I've met here I can't wait to see more of this island. Any driving directions or places of interest would be awesome. I'm not looking for tours though. Just a nice drive. Today it's looking more like I'm used to outside with the lovely clouds. I'm finding myself somewhat missing the rain of home with all this sunshine I've seen this week!

Thanks tons in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,604,790 times
Every island has a rainy side and an ocean. Visit several times and follow the real estate market online. It's pretty early to start planning a move, though.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandayna View Post
I can't wait to take a drive on Friday and explore the island a little more. While I enjoy the pretty buildings and lights of the tourist area and all the interesting people I've met here I can't wait to see more of this island. Any driving directions or places of interest would be awesome.
I recommend you spend some time driving around Kailua, over the Pali from Honolulu. It is described here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/8605489-post8.html

and here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/10806194-post12.html

Here are some scenic spots on the way to Kailua, and in the vicinity:

Pali Highway Lookout - Panoramic view of windward side (from the cliff over which King Kamehameha's warriors drove Oahu's defenders.

Byodo-In Temple, in Valley of the Temples, Kahaluu (Windward Side) Buddhist temple surrounded by Koi Carp pond, at the foot of the 3,000 foot Koolau mountain range. It is a replica of Kyoto's 900-year-old Temple of Equality, depicted on Japan's 10 yen coin.

Ulupo Heeiau, By foot from YMCA parking lot, via Manu-O'o, Manu-Aloha, and Uluoa streets, off Kailua Road (Highway 61), 0.4 mile northeast of Castle Hospital, Kailua.

Kailua Beach, often selected "best beach".

Links to some of the above:

Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples, Oahu, Hawaii

Hawaii State Parks > Parks > Oahu > Ulupo Heiau State Historic Site

Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Thank you, both places look amazing and we'll have a great time exploring them.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 PM

41 posts, read 145,082 times
Hi, I am originally from Juneau & have lived in Hawaii for 4 years. Yes, the cost of groceries, etc. is similar to what it is in Juneau but the cost of housing here is much more expensive.

I recommend taking a drive to the north shore, take a circle drive going on Kamehameha Hwy one way & the H2 the other way. Lots to see there.

Get use to the sunshine because even though it rains here there is no place in Hawaii that rains as much as it does in Juneau!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Take The Bus and you will have time to look out the window and The Bus goes to all the residential areas. There is a circle island bus, I think it might be #57. You can catch it at Ala Moana Shopping center. Ask The Bus folks for a schedule and you would be able to get off the bus (ask for a transfer) and have lunch somewhere and then get back on the bus again for free if you have the transfer. It will go to many housing areas and you will get a good feel of "real" Hawaii. It is also a lot cheaper than a rental car.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfoxx View Post
Hi, I am originally from Juneau & have lived in Hawaii for 4 years. Yes, the cost of groceries, etc. is similar to what it is in Juneau but the cost of housing here is much more expensive.

I recommend taking a drive to the north shore, take a circle drive going on Kamehameha Hwy one way & the H2 the other way. Lots to see there.

Get use to the sunshine because even though it rains here there is no place in Hawaii that rains as much as it does in Juneau!!!

How was your acclimation here? Did you find friends easily or are you military that has built in friends?

My husband is an inspector for airline cargo and would work with the TSA. They've had a VERY hard time keeping inspectors in ANY airport here in Hawaii. My husband is very good at his job, and is very respected in both his place of employment and the community and is known for being fair but a rule follower. He's met quite a few of the TSA people here during his week working here in Honolulu and he's been quickly befriended (in fact we were invited to a family party on Friday! lol).

I'm more worried about getting to know neighbors etc. We just moved into a nicer area of Juneau, and our neighbors are well.... Not overly friendly and I hate that. I like waving at my neighbors and stopping to talk at the mailbox or while shoveling snow. And everyone on our street just really tends to keep to themselves. And that's sad! I was raised by southerners and that's just not how I roll.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM

I went to Ulupo Heeiau yesterday and it was wonderful! I very much enjoyed getting away from the city center. Thankfully we just missed a bus full of tourists so that was nice. I have to fight tourists at home whenever I walk to the Mendenhall Glacier so it was really nice to have the place all to ourselves. It's very beautiful and I enjoyed walking the paths and seeing the different birds and plants. We'll go to the Byodo-In temple on Friday, today I think the Dole Plantation. lol

Old 02-25-2010, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 145,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandayna View Post
How was your acclimation here? Did you find friends easily or are you military that has built in friends?
I had no problem acclimating here, living in Hawaii is similar to living in Juneau in many ways such as the cost of living (except for housing), the isolation, having to fly to get anywhere, etc. The wages in Hawaii are lower than in Juneau, Hawaii has general excise & state income tax, & of course no PFD here.

People here in Hawaii are so much more friendy than in Juneau & you would have no problem making friends here. I came to Hawaii to work at a temporary 3 month job but I loved it here so much I got hired on as a permanent employee & have never left.

I don't have birds but have seen houses that have bird cages outside so I think your birds would do fine outside here. I do have cats & the cost of veterinary services here can be outrageous compaired to Juneau. I have found that if you shop around at different vets here there can be quite a difference in what they charge.

If you have any further questions just ask.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

649 posts, read 3,446,527 times
PFD? Personal flotation devices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu