Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 PM

29 posts, read 62,133 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!
Seems that we will be moving back to Kentucky due to a job transfer by my husbands company. They sent us here last April on 4 days notice. We bought a house 2 months ago and now we are having to deal with getting out of that. Looking like forclosure would be the more attractive option to take a credit hit versus losing our retirement nest egg to pay the mortgage each month it sits empty as well as the $18,000 commission to sell it. We will be leaving by January 7th probably.

But we shipped our cat here and jumped through all the hoops, my question is on the flip side flying back what is necessary? They usually fly Delta, so we are looking at just what ever they require?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times
Have your husband's company make the monthly mortgage payments until the house sells. After all, they are contributory to your bouncing around, and having bought in the first place with just a 2 month job left.

As for the cat, there is no outbound quarantine, and you'll just need to check with the airline you plan on using for their rules.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Why wouldn't you rent the house? Rents are way up in Oahu. You need to talk to an attorney to ensure you don't fall under mortgage fraud if the house is only 2 months old.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,534,575 times
The only paperwork you need for the cat is a health certificate from your vet - I believe it has to be within 15 or so days of travel. Your vet will know, so ask them.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM

We got a USDA loan and it was said we could not rent for 2 years. Plus we just want to be done and not have to worry about finding renters and them tearing up the place. So much to think about in a short time.

The company is paying to move everything we have as well as our 2 cars and paying airfare over to secure a place to live and come back, then to move in 2 weeks after that. When we sold our house in KY they paid the commission to sell the house there, which was less than half of this. They are not willing to pay anymore on this than the move, cars and airfare. So it is either that or you have no job, good luck.

We will be calling Chase to feel it out and see what to expect and if there are any options. I have already talked to 2 loan officers.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim503 View Post
I have already talked to 2 loan officers.
My wife is one of the more experienced loan officers on the island - and they are in the business of selling you the loan - not advising you when your loan blows up.

Speaking to an attorney first rather than a bank that doesn't have your best interests is a more prudent way to go.

Here is a good article on USDA not looking to kindly on defaulting on your mortgage - not as easy to walk away than you think.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...591760584.html

Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM

38 posts, read 73,231 times
Where's your house? You may be able to flip it. Forget talking to a mortgage writer, loan officer, bank manager etc. Talk to a tax accountant or better yet a tax attorney; you may be able to sell for a loss but come out even in the end. Strategic foreclosures are only nifty in the movies. You really want to avoid it.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM

The loan officers I spoke to are freinds, it was not my loan officer. We were just trying ot talk to several people at several diff paces to get different views of what the options were and what was going to happen either way. We are feeling out our options before we decide what to do. I tried to get the article to come up but I do not have a subscription to the wall street journal so I could not see it. I did read a few though that pretty much said that the government was a bear when it came to collecting for a USDA default.

The townhouse is in Makakilo. We are just trying everything right now to see what we can do. We just did not get any forewarning. At least we are grateful he still has a job, but this opened up a whole new batch of problems.

Thanks for the input as we gather info!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Ewa Plain leads Oahu in October home sales, Waikiki tops for condos - Pacific Business News

The rental restriction should be waived with proof of relocation. Rents AND prices are up. What happens if they transfer you back to Hawaii? I would consider renting or selling even at a small loss.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM

It didn't require a subscription when I posted. Looks like it does now. Google USDA foreclosure. Basically, the article is about not messing with the Feds on these loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu