Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 PM

20 posts, read 27,447 times

Advertisements

I'm considering transferring in the spring of '13 and I have a few questions for anyone who goes to or went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

-How much of a party school is it?
-Is the school helpful to students looking for off-campus housing, or are you on your own?
-About how much should I expect to spend on housing if I live off-campus?
-Is it easy to find roommates?
-Overall, how much did you like the school?

I'd really like to hear from people who have gone there, especially people who were there in the last ten years. I really don't want to hear from people grumping about how transferring is a terrible decision, but have no reasons to back up that opinion. If you think I'm ruining my life, give me specific reasons why, don't just say "don't do it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
My daughter just graduated from UH, so I'll share what I know

Its not much of a party school. There's no greek system to speak of and most students are commuters. Waikiki & Chinatown is where most the kids party, that includes lots of military as well. You won't see many house parties, as most students don't have big houses. More hotel parties.

The dorms run about 900 per month and the food plans are another 300-400. She shared an apartment last year. It was a 3 bedroom, and cost $1600 per month. Utilities ran another $150 or so. So her portion ran around $600-700 per month. Most of the apartments here are really old and don't have a/c.

Student jobs seem plentiful. She worked at UH for about 3 years, but plenty of her friends worked retail, waitstaff, DJ, modeling, babysitting ect.

She really enjoyed her time there and plans to continue next fall for an advanced degree.

UH is actually a pretty reasonably priced school, but don't plan on gaining in-state tuition, as they make it virtually impossible for out of state students to get.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
That doesn't sound bad at all.....may be I might try it. I'm only 69....LOL...Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu