Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 PM

41 posts, read 145,082 times

Advertisements

PFD = Permanent Fund Dividend, money each Alaska resident receives from the state every year from oil & gas royalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 AM

649 posts, read 3,446,527 times
Oh, OK. Thx!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 36,215 times
Thanks everyone. We saw so much more of the island today. We went a lot of places, including the Byodo-In Temple (my fav spot so far). We also went to this great botanical garden place we found on our GPS thingy as well as a state park that was lovely.

Tomorrow we're hitting up the Honolulu Zoo and I don't know what else yet. I noticed that when we were in the botanical garden we noticed a road way up in the mountain with lots of cars and it looked quite senic and pretty. Anyone have any idea where that is? The gardens had a lake in them and camping spots (I can't remember what it was called). I'd love to get up high and see Hawaii from a high up view!

Old 02-27-2010, 12:38 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,361 times
Well, the zoo is closed today, so you'll have to do something else.

There are tons of botanical gardens around, so it's hard to know which road you saw. One windy road with beautiful views is the Tantalus / Round Top loop. Since you have a GPS thingy, that's probably enough to find it!

Good luck with the tsunami excitement today.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,978 times
Maybe you are thinking of the Pali overlook?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 PM

16 posts, read 36,215 times
No, we went past the Pali overlook several times in deciding where to wait out the Tsunami. We ended up on the East shore with a lot of the local folks. It was actually a good time! Folks brought beer and kids were running around. I feel like I finally saw real Hawaii for the first time. That's how it feels in Juneau when we are hanging at the beach when it's sunny for like one day each summer!

I gotta tell you guys. I'm not one of those "romantic types" but I really enjoyed it in Honolulu.

I'm from a nice green place. There are really only two things I hate about Juneau Alaska. Cold and snow. Seems to me that Hawaii has all the good stuff that Alaska has to offer but none of that nasty COLD!

My husband didn't like Hawaii as much as I did though. He did like the areas away from the city, but felt it was hot.... How much hotter is it in the summer? And is it cooler up in the mountain regions or on other islands? I know that in Alaska our temps vary so much... It really depends on what region you live in.

We have a friend that owns some property in Kona and he said that up in the mountains he is not hot at all, that the breeze keeps him cool?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM

737 posts, read 1,464,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandayna View Post
No, we went past the Pali overlook several times in deciding where to wait out the Tsunami. We ended up on the East shore with a lot of the local folks. It was actually a good time! Folks brought beer and kids were running around. I feel like I finally saw real Hawaii for the first time. That's how it feels in Juneau when we are hanging at the beach when it's sunny for like one day each summer!

I gotta tell you guys. I'm not one of those "romantic types" but I really enjoyed it in Honolulu.

I'm from a nice green place. There are really only two things I hate about Juneau Alaska. Cold and snow. Seems to me that Hawaii has all the good stuff that Alaska has to offer but none of that nasty COLD!

My husband didn't like Hawaii as much as I did though. He did like the areas away from the city, but felt it was hot.... How much hotter is it in the summer? And is it cooler up in the mountain regions or on other islands? I know that in Alaska our temps vary so much... It really depends on what region you live in.

We have a friend that owns some property in Kona and he said that up in the mountains he is not hot at all, that the breeze keeps him cool?
The higher in elevation you get, generally the cooler it gets. Towns like Waimea and Volcano and certain neighborhoods on the slopes of Hualalai(up above Kona, Kaloko Mauka comes to mind)on the Big Island stay relatively "cool" year round. In comparison to towns like Hilo and Kona.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM

493 posts, read 1,449,075 times
I can vouch for it being much cooler in Volcano than in Hilo. We spent a couple of nights in a rented house in the neighborhood where we hope to retire. We had to close the windows at night. Small wonder that there was a fireplace in the house.

In Kailua-Kona the sun was piercing, like this area of soCal in the summer. Hilo, lots of rain and humidity. There is usually a nice breeze in Volcano, in addition to cooler temperatures at the 3,750-foot elevation. It rains often but generally is of short duration.

Actually, the temperatures in Hawaii as a whole are pretty constant year-round. People from four-season climates sometimes consider it boring. Even after living in soCal for the last 35 years, you can bore me any day with that climate! It gets cold enough to be uncomfortable some days in the winter, especially when it rains, and miserably hot in the summer. Our climate actually is more like Palm Springs than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu