Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,418 times

Advertisements

Aloha Matthew....
Be sure to budget in the cost for shipping your vehicle(s) and household items over. You'll spend approx. $1000 for each vehicle if you ship via Matson. Plus, once you ship your vehicle, it can take 2-3 weeks to get it to Oahu, so you'll have to budget for a rental, unless you plan to take the bus everywhere.

You may want to contact Patti at Dower Realty and see if she can find you a pet friendly rental. We didn't have pets when we went through her, but I can say that she was extremely helpful with helping us get into a place in Aiea, so I can highly recommend her.

Good luck on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 15,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Aloha Matthew....
Be sure to budget in the cost for shipping your vehicle(s) and household items over. You'll spend approx. $1000 for each vehicle if you ship via Matson. Plus, once you ship your vehicle, it can take 2-3 weeks to get it to Oahu, so you'll have to budget for a rental, unless you plan to take the bus everywhere.

You may want to contact Patti at Dower Realty and see if she can find you a pet friendly rental. We didn't have pets when we went through her, but I can say that she was extremely helpful with helping us get into a place in Aiea, so I can highly recommend her.

Good luck on your move!

Thank you,

I am am lucky enough the company I will be working for is moving all of the shipping cost of both house items and car.

I had contact Dower, they are looking out for a place for me.

I actually got a call from a local teacher the other day and she is moving to the big Island and I think we are going to rent her 2 bedroom condo just outside of Honolulu. Thank the lord finding a decent place has been suck a stress!!

I will keep this thread posted

Thanks

Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 15,825 times
I just wanted to let any one know who cared or who was looking for information for them from this thread.

We finally found a place with an amazing landloard. It is a very decent 1 bedrom spilt level condo. About 655sq ft... Right outside of downtown Honolulu in between Honolulu and U of H.... We are so excited. The land lord is letting us paint and decorate any thing we want. We negotiated the rent do to about 1500 a month with utilities included. (even basic cable).

With this animals were allowed actually up to 40 pounds. Even though Ruskie is 62. As of last week Savannah and I decided even though our dog was like a son to us. It would be best if we found him an amazing home here. He now has 3.5 acres to run around in and a stay at home woman to take care of him. He is in good hands.
Between the cost of quarintine (Yes my fault since I didnt check harder for the time length in the first place) for the remaining 60 days. The high risk of him not making it on the flight since he is stub nosed. And now trying to find a day in the the next couple of weeks where it is not 85f between departure and arrival city. (Flying over Nevada, Arizona, Cali etcc.... ) would be hard to do so as much as we are sad we know he will live a full healthy life and we can now consentrate on us.

I shipped a pallet of necessities today to have there when we arive.
We are driving to Cali from Indiana on May 30th. Car is getting dropped off at Pasha dock in San Diego on the 5th we fly to Honolulu on the 6th. Our actual container of belongings doesnt get there till the 18th of June. But a couple weeks of roughing it never hurt anyone. Plus we will have something that I put on the Pallet.

I will inform as things develop

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Cool! Glad to hear things are going well, and I think you made the right decision about your dog.

It's very nice to get your updates. So many people ask questions here and then neglect to let us know how things went. It's nice to close the loop this way.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Regarding the dog. It's expensive to put the dog in quarantine and it is pretty traumatic. Do you know anyone that can care for the dog until the 120 days are up where you live now and send the dog later for direct release?

On Apartments - trying to find an apartment from the mainland is difficult and frustrating. Find a short term vacation rental - get your feet on the ground, get to know the neighborhoods - and then find a long term rental. From where you are working and your budget - you may want to look around the Aiea/Pearl City area. Your monthly budget for rent is on the low side with a dog. If you ship your furniture - you can always store it short term if in a short term rental.

On your budget - you'll probably spend more on gas as it is getting close to $5/gallon and potentially more on electric.
SO how did your move turn out? My daughter is moving in 17 days.. landed a great job with similar pay as yours..
She is looking at a room in an apt. for rent and has no way of physically looking at it of seeing if it is legit..
Do you know of any services that she can hire to quickley look at this place for her? MAybe I can pay you to look at it ?
We found the ad on CL, lady seemed nice, pics seemed nice, but she wants some money down to HOLD the place for her.
She said that she would write up a lease agreement and email to my daughter. And I think it would also be wise to get a pic of her drivers license, utility bill w/ address and a professional reference ( from her work) or just to verify she is who she says she is. It sounds great and she may be very an honest person BUT unfortunatley because of all the dishonest people out there it ruins it for the nice ones !.. I also think that if the lady IS Legit, then she would have no problems in supplying this info to us BEFORE we sent her a check... Any info on this would be so much helpful!!! [mod]For your personal safety please do not post your e mail addy here or any other personal info. Use the DM feature to contact other members. Thanks[/mod]

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-30-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
[quote=rustiegurl;25876059]SO how did your move turn out? My daughter is moving in 17 days.. landed a great job with similar pay as yours..
She is looking at a room in an apt. for rent and has no way of physically looking at it of seeing if it is legit..
Do you know of any services that she can hire to quickley look at this place for her? MAybe I can pay you to look at it ?
We found the ad on CL, lady seemed nice, pics seemed nice, but she wants some money down to HOLD the place for her.
She said that she would write up a lease agreement and email to my daughter. And I think it would also be wise to get a pic of her drivers license, utility bill w/ address and a professional reference ( from her work) or just to verify she is who she says she is. It sounds great and she may be very an honest person BUT unfortunatley because of all the dishonest people out there it ruins it for the nice ones !.. I also think that if the lady IS Legit, then she would have no problems in supplying this info to us BEFORE we sent her a check... Any info on this would be so much helpful!!! [/quote"]

How did my move turn out? I've moved to Honolulu twice. The most recent move was early last year when I went to Portland to help a friend with his start-up company - after one Portland winter kicked our butt, we moved back. I had a job lined up when I returned and took a vacation rental at the Ilikai Marina as my wife wrapped up the Portland place (used Royal Hawaiian movers full service) and gettng the pets prepared to come back. I found a condo to rent longer term - liked it - and eventually bought it from the owner on a short sale. Just got a home in Kailua and moving in one month. So, all in all - my move went as well as could be.

Back to you and your daughters situation. I really don't recommend your daughter get a long term rental before arriving in Hawaii. Find a short term vacation rental and your daughter should see these places herself. There is no need to rush into a long term rental sight unseen. Your daughter needs to meet any landlord (or representative of landlord) face to face. And definitely do not send money to hold the place. Even if I went to see the place (and I really can't and I wouldn't take pay) it doesn't mitigate the risk of sending money in advace let alone what I like/don't like may not match your daughters.

Don't send a check ahead of time.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Back to you and your daughters situation. I really don't recommend your daughter get a long term rental before arriving in Hawaii. Find a short term vacation rental and your daughter should see these places herself. There is no need to rush into a long term rental sight unseen. Your daughter needs to meet any landlord (or representative of landlord) face to face. And definitely do not send money to hold the place. Even if I went to see the place (and I really can't and I wouldn't take pay) it doesn't mitigate the risk of sending money in advace let alone what I like/don't like may not match your daughters.

Don't send a check ahead of time.
This.

I found a room in a house before I moved out there. I stayed when I visited before my move and everything seemed fine. After I finally made the move, it turned into a disaster and I got out of there as quick as I could... was there less than a month. I then found a 2BR myself and advertised the room, and interviewed several people before finding the right person.

Even staying in a hotel for a week would be better so that she can meet in person to view places - she can set up all the appointments beforehand to make it easier

Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM

756 posts, read 713,918 times
Quote:
How did my move turn out? I've moved to Honolulu twice. The most recent move was early last year when I went to Portland to help a friend with his start-up company - after one Portland winter kicked our butt, we moved back. I had a job lined up when I returned and took a vacation rental at the Ilikai Marina as my wife wrapped up the Portland place (used Royal Hawaiian movers full service) and gettng the pets prepared to come back. I found a condo to rent longer term - liked it - and eventually bought it from the owner on a short sale. Just got a home in Kailua and moving in one month. So, all in all - my move went as well as could be.

Still working Downtown?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
Still working Downtown?
Work at the same place - on Kapiolani overlooking Ala Moana Mall. I'm going to miss the 10-15 commute but I'm only adding 20 more minutes to the drive. I really liked downtown condo living but the wife has heart set on a single family home.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiegurl View Post
I cannot emphasize this enough... do not lease a place sight unseen, and do not send money. Even just sending $50 for a credit check can be a scam. There are people who make their living that way. A little time spent perusing the archives here will turn up lots of tales of woe from violating one or the other of those warnings. Make your plans differently.

At most, rent for a couple of weeks temporary accommodations through an intermediate company like VRBO. Or bite the bullet and check into a hotel until you find something... in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu