Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 13,255 times

Advertisements

I live on the east coast and just scored a job interview for a great
position in Hawaii- they offered a phone interview because of where I live. I know I could do much better in person. Is it appropriate to offer to fly in for the interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSWayne View Post
I live on the east coast and just scored a job interview for a great
position in Hawaii- they offered a phone interview because of where I live. I know I could do much better in person. Is it appropriate to offer to fly in for the interview?
They'll want to see you in person before a formal offer - a telephone interview is the first step in the process. (And by the way - very unlikely they'll pay for the in person interview if it gets to that point).

If this is really a great job - proactively offer in the phone interview to fly over to see them in person.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM

I don't mind paying for the trip and I don't expect to be reimbursed. The job sounds good- but I really won't know until the interview. But I know I would do far better in person.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times
First of all, an interview is a bit like a first date... it's an opportunity for both parties to check each other out, so there should be good give and take. You seem to be focused on making the best impression on them, which is understandable, but you also need to show some interest in finding out more about them, and learning more about the opportunity under discussion.

Second, a telephone first interview has now become quite common, especially for higher end positions, even if you're local to the interviewer. For many employers it primarily serves as a screening interview, a way of whittling down a huge pile of candidates to maybe 3 or 4 people to have deeper conversations with. So be careful not to overreach the opportunity. It's a first date.

Third, although you might think of showing up in person as a way to show initiative, it could be interpreted as desperation. If you want to explore the possibility with them, play it very lightly. I distinctly remember phone-interviewing a promising candidate once who was so incredibly pushy about coming in for a f2f interview that he completely burned my interest.

And finally, if you do decide to fly in for an interview, be sure to do your homework about what life might be like for you here, and use the trip for some reality checking. Especially pay attention to the difference in Cost of Living between where you are and where you would be here. Chances are you'll be paid less here than you ever would be there, and everything will cost more, so really do some meaningful research.

And be willing to say no if it doesn't feel right to you after a thorough discussion. Don't get hypnotized by the "dream." It's all a dance, and it has to work for both of you to be worth it.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
You certainly don't want to be pushy about a face to face - that doesn't just apply to interviewing in Hawaii - it applies everywhere.

You will definitely be asked - why do you want to move to Hawaii. I'll add to the turnoff answers: I've always dreamed of moving to Hawaii or I hate winter where I am at. Don't even go there.

Best case - you have some kind of tie to Hawaii like a relative. Do say, I've been to Hawaii often (although if you haven't they will figure it out) - and do say - "I really appreciate all that Hawaii has to offer - I especially appreciate how Hawaii is multicultural and I've always been most comfortable in that environment based on........ (fill in the blank - if you've lived/worked internationally that really helps)

Please avoid weather - and I've always dreamed of living in Hawaii - tell them you understand the cost and standard of living - and hopefully you have experiences that tie to that.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,057,588 times
They are obviously accustomed to phone interviews in Hawaii, nobody does their best that way, so you'll be on a level playing field.

My spouse starts a great full-time job there next week and he has never even been to Hawaii. He has great credentials, they had two long phone interviews, they thoroughly checked him out, he passed his pre-employment physical (done at a subcontractor in Florida) and they can't wait for him to show up. Everyone they interviewed was a phone interview. Do your best; why don't you practice some phone interviewing with a friend?

I wonder if Skype is an option?

Good luck to you.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 04-20-2012 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the great advice. That is exactly what I was looking for.

What was mentioned about being too forward or pushy is exactly what I was worried about. I think I will go with the flow and do the phone interview.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,715,560 times
it makes u look desperate if u offer to fly out. . . like really. Not ot mention how do u just take off of ur current job to fly out to hawaii for just an interview?

Phone interviews are standard procedure these days. Let it happen. If the phone interview goes well, perhaps an in-person interview will be the next step

Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 PM

12 posts, read 30,158 times
I have landed a job in Hawaii and had an interview on the phone and at an office the company had closer to my location where I used to live in the mainland. I have heard of others in similar situations and some just got phone interviews or a video-conference type of call.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM

501 posts, read 1,193,902 times
You may want to REALLY familiarize yourself with the company so you can interject some that info during your interview. It may give you an edge over other mainland candidates.

And yes, you will more than likely be asked why do you want to live in Hawaii.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu