Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 PM

9 posts, read 29,475 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job at Schofield barracks and was wondering what a honest drive time would be from say Makaha Valley or from Waialua would be.

I know google maps shows ~30 minutes, but that cant be right can it? i hear that H1 at rush hour is a parking lot.

The reason i am asking is that i am not having much luck finding a decent place to live(<700sq feet and >$1200 per month)or smaller place with storage/garage. I am finding a few places but either very small or very expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

Also it looks like the last paved drag strip closed in 06 or something like that, any idea if a new one will be opened? or is there a road racing(track days and what not) in the area? and if not is there anyway to get my car to another island I know the super ferry is not longer in operation any idea if it will or another start backup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
The drive from Waialua on the North Shore isn't that bad, probably 20 minutes - but it would be nasty commute from Makahu Valley on the West Side.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM

thanks for the reply, any idea on the travle times from waipahu/pearl city i see i can head right up 750 and not have to get on H1 or H2.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I live in Honolulu (side closest to Aiea), and commute to Waipahu. It takes about 30-40 minutes, mainly because there is one less lane going that direction because of the zip lane. If you were going that direction you wouldn't get the same bottle neck because you'd be getting on H2.

You shouldn't get much traffic from Pearl City, unless there is one mere stall.... then everything backs up.

If the freeway is backed up..... so are the surface streets.

Um... have you BEEN to Waipahu? I can't think of an area there that I would consider living.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I have never been to HI, at all, so i dont know where anything is(other then looking at a map) and dont know what areas would be good to live in or not. Thanks for the advice.

What areas would you look to live in thats ~30 minutes from the main gate of Schofield barracks. Please note i dont even know where on Schofield barracks this job is. Just looking at options right now.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamore View Post
I have never been to HI, at all, so i dont know where anything is(other then looking at a map) and dont know what areas would be good to live in or not. Thanks for the advice.

What areas would you look to live in thats ~30 minutes from the main gate of Schofield barracks. Please note i dont even know where on Schofield barracks this job is. Just looking at options right now.
If you want to live closer to Honolulu in a town like place (bars, restaurants, shopping)- then look at Mililani. If you want more rural/country - look at the North Shore communities.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,418 times
If I might make a suggestion....tune into KSSK on the radio (iheart or online) and listen to the live traffic reports while you can reference google maps. It might give you a better idea. Just remember the time difference (since you stated that you've never been to HI), so you tune in during rush hours.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
If I might make a suggestion....tune into KSSK on the radio (iheart or online) and listen to the live traffic reports while you can reference google maps. It might give you a better idea. Just remember the time difference (since you stated that you've never been to HI), so you tune in during rush hours.
If you'd like a visual - you can watch the news live from NBC/CBS - today was more nasty than usual with a 3 car pile up, ambulance, fire truck, right at 7am on H1 coming into the city. It won't be a good day for the commuters.

LIVE STREAM - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM

thanks to both of you for the links to local news it was very helpful.

Any more info would be good.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 AM

16 posts, read 45,405 times
If you're a real glutton for punishment, check out goakamai.org for traffic cameras and relatively reliable congestion maps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu