Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM

406 posts, read 867,301 times

Advertisements

OK, how many of you here remember when people bought flour in cloth bags that had fancy designs printed on them?

You used the flour in baking/cooking and used the bags to make clothes.

Mickey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,406,008 times
Back in the early 1980s, for my first real corporate job out of college in Atlanta, I bought a couple of polyester wash-and-wear suits from Sears. Nobody ever said anything. A young guy who was hired soon after I was went out and bought several nice and relatively expensive (for a twentysomething) coordinated slacks and jackets, which I thought looked pretty sharp. On his first day, a senior manager looked at him, said, "We wear suits here," and walked away. My coworker was angry, because he hadn't been told this prior to starting, so he went to the Goodwill store and bought a couple of used, $3 suits. Those were considered acceptable. A year or so later, another disgruntled coworker decided to test the dress code by wearing a white Miami Vice suit. The boss told him to go home and change into something more appropriate. He protested, saying that his suit met the criteria of the published company dress code. It didn't work; the boss still sent him home.

Now I work in liberal Portland, OR, where every day is "casual Friday," and people have their individual dress styles. I'm known as "the guy with the Hawaiian wife who needs to move to Hawaii and telecommute so we can all go visit him," so, during the summer months, I often dress in shoes with socks, dress slacks, and Sig Zane or Kahala shirts. (Our last CEO owned a place in Hawaii and often dressed the same way, so there was a precedent.) During our two glorious months of sunny, mid-80s weather in downtown Portland, I sometimes imagine I'm walking down Bishop Street.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I'm known as "the guy with the Hawaiian wife who needs to move to Hawaii and telecommute so we can all go visit him,"
LOVE it! Good read, thanks for sharing.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,406,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
LOVE it! Good read, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Unfortunately (okay, fortunately), my wife has a great job in Portland that she couldn't hope to equal financially in Hawaii, and a few years until retirement, so my coworkers will have to wait.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 PM

60 posts, read 245,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yes, tucked in! And Socks! And a Belt! Slacks! And dress shoes!

Honolulu is business casual unless you are an attorney. The only different thing from the mainland business casual is the shirt. Wear a conservative aloha shirt even to interviews. If you buy the Tommy Bahama white shirt with bright red lettering on the back that says "Tommy Bahama", that doesn't qualify as conservative.
Actually, the attorneys I work with and for (I am one as well) usually wear the standard slacks and aloha shirt with shoes, unless we are in court, then its a suit, or throw a blazer over aloha shirt. I think it varies among the offices though. The large, fancy firms? More mainland business casual. Small firms, solo practitioners and goverment lawyers? Mostly aloha wear unless fancier needed for court/clients.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

37 posts, read 61,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMKAT View Post
Actually, the attorneys I work with and for (I am one as well) usually wear the standard slacks and aloha shirt with shoes, unless we are in court, then its a suit, or throw a blazer over aloha shirt. I think it varies among the offices though. The large, fancy firms? More mainland business casual. Small firms, solo practitioners and goverment lawyers? Mostly aloha wear unless fancier needed for court/clients.
So true. I worked for an attorney (Longshoremans, workers comp, maritime law) and there was no way he'd receive potential clients in a suit and tie. These were men from the docks primarily and he needed to relate to them as best he could.

But he kept a few suits in his office in case he was called to court. I had a jacket too in case I had to accompany him.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 AM

38 posts, read 96,553 times
Thank you again for all the advice. We arrived in HNL yesterday; I found my way to Reyn Spooner at Ala Moana. The good shirts ran $89; there was nothing cheaper that the salesgirl could recommend. That was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I asked for a local discount, and she just smiled nicely. I ended up buying a nice shirt at Nordstrom's for $79, still more than I'm accustomed to paying for shirts but it's a good investment & I really like the shirt. With the black pants & dress shoes, I think I cleaned up pretty good. I had my business meeting this evening & felt like I'd made a good choice. With the benefit of more time to shop, I know I'll be able to expand my Aloha wardrobe at a more reasonable price. I've got a month before I have to dress up again. :-)

Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 AM

941 posts, read 1,970,147 times
OpenD wrote: "Reyn Spooner shirts. Their signature look is a shirt made of a reversed printed cloth with the print side turned in." I don't know the history of the Aloha shirt, but I was told this was fairly common back in the day. I have other brands like that. Maybe fashion has moved on and they're the only ones still doing it.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thailand2Island View Post
Thank you again for all the advice. We arrived in HNL yesterday; I found my way to Reyn Spooner at Ala Moana. The good shirts ran $89; there was nothing cheaper that the salesgirl could recommend. That was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I asked for a local discount, and she just smiled nicely. I ended up buying a nice shirt at Nordstrom's for $79, still more than I'm accustomed to paying for shirts but it's a good investment & I really like the shirt. With the black pants & dress shoes, I think I cleaned up pretty good. I had my business meeting this evening & felt like I'd made a good choice. With the benefit of more time to shop, I know I'll be able to expand my Aloha wardrobe at a more reasonable price. I've got a month before I have to dress up again. :-)
If you are on a budget, you can try Sears at Ala Moana - and there is a Walmart nearby.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM

124 posts, read 432,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you are on a budget, you can try Sears at Ala Moana - and there is a Walmart nearby.
The Nordstrom Rack store is Nordstrom's discount store. Usually find the same quality of clothes
at a significant discount to that in the main store, however the selections varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: