Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

I'm going to study in honolulu in Jan and I want to live in a cheap, small, simple place by myself. (not to rent a room). I did some research on craiglist but I think it's not that easy to find a place that is cheap enough and close to the college I am going to study in (Kapi'olani Community College - Diamond Head)

I want it to be in $300-$600. A bit far away from KCC is fine.
Am I too unrealistic? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM

37 posts, read 61,706 times
sounds like a stretch for that price without sharing, keep checking on CL, you'll never know what comes up. Somebody sometimes has some odd deal here and there, an ohana unit, a shack in somebodys backyard. Maybe put an ad in the 'seeking housing' section. Sometimes people prefer to contact you vs, you contacting them.

Anybody know whatever happened to those pod apartments (super mini) that used to be along either Vineyard or Beretania before Punchbowl around 2006? I remebmer driving by with a co worker years ago and she was telling me they were springing up. I've never seen them elsewhere though.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM

Thx!
I actually saw some "bus" and cabin but they need to use "propane"... How do I use/buy propane?
And is living in these kind of places fine?

Thank you!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM

37 posts, read 61,706 times
Hi. What is "bus" and "cabin" and where and why did you see that?

What uses propane? Are you saying you found a bus that is used as an apartment and it uses propane? I'm just a lil confused.

I hate anything that I have to manually light. I lived in France for a year and had to light my OLD heater and OLD stove every time I used it. Terrified me. lol. Something called Mazut oil. Not sure if thats like propane.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM

You don't know that? it used to be a bus but inside it's all changed to an "apartment" n it uses propane.
(I didn't even know what propane was before)

I don't get it. How is it like to manually light stuffs?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 AM

35 posts, read 69,133 times
First- propane can be purchased at any gas station. you have probably seen a propane tank somewhere. they are used for camping and on travel trailers etc. once you buy a tank you take it to the gas station and they will either refill it or trade it out for a full one. you have to light propane just about every time unless you have a stove with a pilot light that never goes out.
Living inexpensively in Honolulu is a challenge. CL can be a source but do not ever send money in advance. there are literally hundreds of dishonest people who will scam you out of your money. If you are registered at school you may be able to get a lead from the housing office. They usually have a bulletin board somewhere on campus with listings of available places or rooms.
As a student you probably won't have a car. Parking here is almost like trying to park in Paris, Rome or NYC. Our apartment has one parking space. The street is jammed every night with parked cars.
Hope this info helps out.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Head View Post
I want it to be in $300-$600. A bit far away from KCC is fine.
Am I too unrealistic? Any suggestions?
Yes, you are being unrealistic. You'd be lucky to find an apt/room share for that price, let alone a studio. If you by chance did find a studio at that price, you would have to wonder what exactly is wrong with it - bad area, falling apart, etc. My suggestion - increase your budget.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 AM

Aiea Nana: Thank you!!!

Becca8377: I'll think about it... Maybe I'll take on-campus job to pay higher rent or just change my expectation...Thx!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Hawaii Student Housing Our Properties - The Ohia and Hana

$1,179 starting point for private apartment. You could get the same cheaper but probably not on a school schedule.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
I seriously doubt you'll find a separate apartment or separate living situation anywhere on Oahu within that price range, but you never know, there might be a miracle out there waiting to happen. There is a serious overpopulation problem on Oahu, there are just too many people trying to live in too small of a space. I'm sure other places have managed to get higher population densities, but the more folks in one spot, the more pressure for housing, parking, food, entertainment, etc. and the higher the prices for everything.

Hawaii does not have Natural Gas, it's just not "natural" here. So, instead of natural gas folks use propane. It's about the same cost per gallon as gasoline and is used for water heaters, stoves, dryers, etc. Using gas to heat water for one person will probably go through a five gallon tank about once a month or so. At least, if you are using an "on-demand" type water heater, dunno what it would be for a traditional keep it hot all the time water heater. Using propane to run a refrigerator will probably go through a tank about once every other week or so. If the propane is just used for cooking, a five gallon tank will probably last over two months, depending on how much cooking is done. Considering the cost of electricity, propane can be a much more economical choice. If you have the option, a place which has solar hot water will do wonders for making the month-to-month expenses much lower. Solar electricity is also a huge cost savings but takes more education to be able to live with it.

As far as lighting the propane appliance, it all depends on the appliance. Usually, if the appliance is fairly new, it will have a piezoelectric starter and "automatically" start when the appliance is turned on. Some older appliances have a pilot light which has to be relit when the propane tanks are switched. Use a match or lighter and the landlord can show you where to touch the flame to light the appliance. If it is your own system, there is an automatic "switch-over" valve which can be put between the two propane tanks so when one becomes empty the gas automatically starts being used from the other tank so no drop in gas service and you don't have to relight the appliances. You do have to notice when the little red indicator is showing, though, and refill the empty tank. If both tanks become empty, then you'll have to relight any appliances with pilot lights. If you are planning on renting for any length of time, it might be worthwhile to get one of the valves, they aren't that expensive, probably less than $100 since it's been a few years since we bought the last one for $40. Two small propane tanks, one switch-over valve and you wouldn't have to worry about running out of propane or relighting appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: