Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM

240 posts, read 559,343 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm sure there are other posts similar to this, but I didn't see any.

I'm a 21 year old culinary professional looking to move with my significant other (also in culinary) to Hawaii next year.

Looking for an accurate cost of living in Oahu (honolulu most likely) or any where else that has a good food scene (i.e. I could find a job).

I'm literally working with little to no info here as finding information about LIVING in hawaii (as opposed to visiting) is hard.

What can I expect? What are places I don't want to live? How much will it cost for a 1 bedroom/food/transportation?

We don't mind being outside of the city as we love nature, but in the city would be best (because of our jobs).

Like I said, any information about cost/food scene would be helpful.

Thanks,
voilalaura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Figure cost of living to be higher than Philadelphia where you are posting from - but less than Manhatten. Wages will be significantly lower than Philadelphia - probably comparable to somewhere like St. Louis (assuming you get a job). Your other questions are to general to give a decent answer.

Hawaii minimum wage is $7.25 - so you should budget for that.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 PM

240 posts, read 559,343 times
That is also the minimum wage here, but I make $10 an hour. My SF makes $11. We both have degrees.

Also, we're both young, but budget conscious and looking for a large studio or one bedroom. We live in Philly so we don't mind a little grit, but we don't want to be in a horrible area either. What would that cost a month and what is the best way to find jobs/apartments?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
I'm sure there are other posts similar to this, but I didn't see any.
Aloha, and welcome.

If you use the Search functions, you can pull up lots of material from the archive here on whatever topic you like. This isn't exactly our first luaua, and none of these are new questions ...

Quote:
I'm a 21 year old culinary professional looking to move with my significant other (also in culinary) to Hawaii next year.
Have you ever visited Hawai'i? If not, actually living in Hawai'i is far different from the tourist brochures. If you have, actually living in Hawai'i is far different from the tourist experience.

Quote:
Looking for an accurate cost of living in Oahu (honolulu most likely) or any where else that has a good food scene (i.e. I could find a job).
There are lots of Cost of Living calculators on the internet. This one is pretty good.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

What it doesn't tell you, unfortunately, is that the 15% or 30% or 50% higher salary you'll need to enjoy the same standard of living you have on the mainland is almost impossible to find in the islands. As a matter of fact, most people find that their costs go up and their pay goes down when they move to Hawai'i, so the effective cost of living is even higher than expected.

Quote:
I'm literally working with little to no info here as finding information about LIVING in hawaii (as opposed to visiting) is hard.
Do yourself a favor, and get this book, "So you Want To Live In Hawai'i" and read it carefully. It will save you a lot of time and a lot of grief. Amazon.com: So You Want to Live in Hawaii (9780966625301): Toni Polancy: Books

Quote:
What can I expect? What are places I don't want to live? How much will it cost for a 1 bedroom/food/transportation?
Again, get into the Search function here. Search is your friend.

Last edited by Yac; 09-18-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Also, we're both young, but budget conscious and looking for a large studio or one bedroom. We live in Philly so we don't mind a little grit, but we don't want to be in a horrible area either. What would that cost a month and what is the best way to find jobs/apartments?
Use craigslist to search apartments. Being 21 - you won't find jobs in the food industry remotely - you'll need to be on island. Figure $2,000/month for an apartment. Best thing to do is only one of you move - see if you can find a job - and if you do the other person comes out - and if you don't - then only one needs to move back.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 AM

19 posts, read 23,984 times
I'm going have to disagree. Professional chefs get paid nicely here. There are so many hotels on Oahu and so many fine dining restaurants. I think you will get a better than average pay here if you are a professional chef. Go hang out at Side Street Inn off Keeamoku. That is where all the top island chefs congregate when they want to eat good local food.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post
I'm going have to disagree. Professional chefs get paid nicely here. There are so many hotels on Oahu and so many fine dining restaurants. I think you will get a better than average pay here if you are a professional chef. Go hang out at Side Street Inn off Keeamoku. That is where all the top island chefs congregate when they want to eat good local food.

Good luck!
You've been watching to many No Reservations episodes - Despite Anthony Bourdain's episode on Side Street Cafe they aren't exactly packed - I recommend it - they generously give first drink free at the bar, My wife works at Homestreet Bank and the lending office is across the street. (well alley).

Entry level chef - maybe $30K?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 PM

19 posts, read 23,984 times
Wow, are you serious? Side Street Inn is constantly packed and their sister restaurant in Kaimuki you can wait over an hour. The food is good and that is all that matters. I also once dated a chef for one of the Waikiki hotels and they DO get paid really well. Anyway, it depends on the chef's experience.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:48 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,822,146 times
Quote:
Quote:
We both have degrees?
Which type of degree, and in what? And how much work experience (paid positions) in the culinary field? Narrowing it down might help us be more specific in our answers.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post
Wow, are you serious? Side Street Inn is constantly packed and their sister restaurant in Kaimuki you can wait over an hour. The food is good and that is all that matters. I also once dated a chef for one of the Waikiki hotels and they DO get paid really well. Anyway, it depends on the chef's experience.
Yeah, depends on the place, depends on the chef's experience. Just out of curiosity I checked a culinary professional job site, and it listed the starting salary range for Executive Chef positions, the top job in the kitchen, as starting at $27,999 in Honolulu.

Considering the difference in cost of living with the mainland using a good COL calculator, that $28K starting salary would be like earning $16,108 in Philadelphia.

Even if you got a really good gig, and started at $50K per year in Honolulu, that would only give you the equivalent standard of living of making $26,847 in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu