Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,305 times

Advertisements

Hi,I have been a professional chef for some time now(15 years) and I am considering moving to Oahu.
To start,I have 12k saved for the move.I don't know anyone on the island.I was planning on staying in a hostile until I can find a place for rent.I am coming with nothing more than a backpack and a carry on.I have searched craigslist and have seen several ads for roomates.I have made moves like this before and I am aware of some of the challenges that come with it.So,I have a few questions,if anyone could help me out.

1-Is there any areas of oahu that I want to avoid living in? (ie:crime,poverty,or just poor locations)

2-In my experience with moving to vacation destination areas there tends to be a lot of line cooks available but it is hard to find professional chefs.With all of the resorts and restaurants on Oahu,am I mistaken in thinking it would not be too much of a challenge finding work?I consistently see ads for exec chefs and sous chefs at the resort hotels in oahu.It doesn't seem worth applying until I actually move there.Don't think I'll get much of a response since I currently live in P.A.

3-I understand that I probaly will not be able to find a place to live until I am employed.With the significant funds I am bringing I was planning on trying to offer several months rent up front to possibly get into a place if I cannot find work right away.Are any of these ads on craigslist for roomates a scam.I am sure there are some but is it more common than that?

I know a lot of people move to these types of places with the dream that everything is going to be perfect and end up getting chewed up and spit out.I have experience in this.I plan on making it work and will do what it takes!Any advice would be greatly appreciated and maybe I'll see you in a few months!

Last edited by bacongrenade1; 09-26-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacongrenade1 View Post
In my experience with moving to vacation destination areas there tends to be a lot of line cooks available but it is hard to find professional chefs.With all of the resorts and restaurants on Oahu,am I mistaken in thinking it would not be too much of a challenge finding work?
Finding work in a kitchen? Probably not too hard to find something, no, because there is so much turnover. Cost of living is probably 50% higher than where you live now, salaries are maybe 20% lower, but sure, come on down.

Quote:
I consistently see ads for exec chefs and sous chefs at the resort hotels in oahu.It doesn't seem worth applying until I actually move there.Don't think I'll get much of a response since I currently live in P.A.
That is correct.

Quote:
I understand that I probaly will not be able to find a place to live until I am employed.
If you have a good credit record and clean rental references and cash it's not that hard to rent a place. But's it's hard finding something decent.

Quote:
With the significant funds I am bringing I was planning on trying to offer several months rent up front to possibly get into a place if I cannot find work right away.
Due to landlord excesses in the past, the law prohibits a landlord taking more than the first month's rent plus one month security deposit.

Quote:
Are any of these ads on craigslist for roomates a scam.I am sure there are some but is it more common than that?
DO NOT rent a place sight unseen. Period. Yes, scams abound, but besides... well... just don't do it.

Quote:
I know a lot of people move to these types of places with the dream that everything is going to be perfect and end up getting chewed up and spit out.I have experience in this.I plan on making it work and will do what it takes!Any advice would be greatly appreciated and maybe I'll see you in a few months!
Yes, be sure you have a return ticket to the mainland, and keep it in a safe place.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
For $42/nite, you can stay at the YMCA. You could make use of it until you have a chance to CHECK OUT A RENTAL PLACE IN PERSON. Listen to OpenD, NEVER rent sight unseen.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
I'd avoid Kalihi, China Town, Wahiawa. Thats all I can think of right now. But even in crappy areas, crimes pretty low in HI.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,305 times
Thanks.I wasn't planning on renting anything unseen.Any areas I want to avoid?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
For $42/nite, you can stay at the YMCA.
Rumor has it - it's fun stay at the YMCA!

You can get yourself clean - you can have a good meal

You can do whatever you feel.

YMCA Lyrics - VILLAGE PEOPLE

Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
I'd also avoid all those hostile places. Seek instead the calming vibes of a local hostel.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I'd also avoid all those hostile places. Seek instead the calming vibes of a local hostel.
Good point, because googling "hostile places in Hawaii" could come up with some pretty nasty places to stay!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 AM

35 posts, read 69,133 times
"2-In my experience with moving to vacation destination areas there tends to be a lot of line cooks available but it is hard to find professional chefs.With all of the resorts and restaurants on Oahu,am I mistaken in thinking it would not be too much of a challenge finding work?I consistently see ads for exec chefs and sous chefs at the resort hotels in oahu.It doesn't seem worth applying until I actually move there.Don't think I'll get much of a response since I currently live in P.A."

Each job filled by a newcomer from the mainland is one less job for Hawaiian residents. This arises because we live on an island. It makes "fitting in" a little more difficult due to unspoken but apparent resentment. Grab a copy of culture shock Hawaii so you at least have some prep before taking the leap. If you want to come and live a single, casual life with others from the mainland then OK. But if you will have a family and kids here do some careful planning.

Wishing you only the best. Aloha.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM

35 posts, read 69,133 times
A link for those considering a move to Hawaii. Please realize Hawaii is a land of sunshine and beaches but more importantly -- Hawaii is a land of people.

Cultureshock! Hawai'i: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette (Cultureshock Hawaii: A Survival Guide to Customs & Etiquette): Brent Massey: 9780761424987: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu