Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'll be working at the Navy base, DoD w/NAVFAC. I have a couple of months before I make the jump but I'll need to have someone over there helping. I'll gladly stay at a room for a day or two but really need to know where I'm going to live. My guy and our 16yr old daughter are coming, too. He's a contractor and we don't anticipate a problem finding him a job but until he does we are prepared to live like beach bums. I've seen some cute albeit tiny rentals that would work but I can't hold them for two months.

ALSO the girl is an artist and I'd love to find a public high school with an emphasis on fine arts. I can Google that one but I thought I'd throw it out there.

The base lemon lot has some amazing deals on vehicles...

Any tips, hints, ideas?

btw - 29yr vet, retired from Air Guard w/9yrs active Marine Corps.
PM me and I'll pass along an agent that specializes in rentals.

The area of his expertise is Ocean Pointe, which is a newer area in the southwest part of Oahu. It is a very nice area with its own schools (elementary and Middle). The public High School is Campbell and I have a good friend whose son, an aspiring artist, attends the school and he loves it. I would recommend you go onto the online version of Honolulu Magazine and find the edition on ratings of the public schools.

When I left in 2011, the rents for a 1200 sq ft townhome in Ocean Pointe was approx $2100; not sure if that is still the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Definitely, to reiterate what is probably the single most agreed on principle of this forum... do not sign a lease or make any other long-term commitment until you have inspected the property in person. There are just too many things that somebody else thinks are fine but that could be deal-breakers for you.

Rent a vacation property for a couple of weeks, or check into a hotel while you look for a place, and work with a rental agent to line up properties to look at once you have boots on the ground, but don't try to rent long-term from a distance. There are just too many risks involved.

Do a Search on the archives here if you need convincing.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Thanks Kualoa

Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM

Missed the 2nd page here. Great ideas! I'll be PM'ing you Moving, as soon as I figure out how.
Thanks for all the replies!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM

jitters, frantic downsizing, stressed-out canines.... we're getting there! I've discovered AHRN. Ebay is helping...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,907 times
Good for you! Get rid of as much stuff as you can before the move. eBay was awesome for us before the move and we moved tons of stuff using Craigslist, too. And word of mouth...so many people heard we were moving and asked what we were selling. We also donated a lot of things in good shape but not needed in our new home, like books and clothing and kitchen stuff, to local charity thrift shops (and got receipts for our taxes). We did not ship much (we moved via US Postal Service) and we don't regret it.

Another thing we did was to scan and shred any important documents we didn't need the originals of (of course we kept passports, birth certificates, etc.)...and simply scanned and shredded anything else we thought we'd need later. We also scanned all our photographs and then gave away the prints. We've never regretted that, not even for a moment.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM

337 posts, read 613,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
We also scanned all our photographs and then gave away the prints. We've never regretted that, not even for a moment.
Just curious, did you use any sort of online back ups for your photos? I have a lot of photos, but I have bad luck with my hard drives. So I don't stick them all on one, I usually have them on a 2 separate ones at all times.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM

38 posts, read 73,181 times
The commute from the west side to Pearl Harbor is really starting to get bad, but there are workarounds. For instances, Kapolei schools are new and desireable. You may find a decent rental in Kapolei or Makakilo which would put you in a better school district. For the commute, join the 24 hour fitness center in Pearl City, leave your place about 5AM, beat the traffic (barely) into Pearl City, grab a workout, then cruise into the base. If you try and make the trip from Ewa or Kapolei during the normal commute time, you will think you're in Southern California or NYC during their worst day. In you can find a decent rental in Aiea or Pearl City, you'll score on the commute but be paying top dollar for the location. Be careful what school district your rental puts you in. You don't want your daughter anywhere near Pearl City High or Campbell High. If you could live in the Moanalua high School district you would have it made. The tradeoff is the price to rent something decent in that area. Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpreston View Post
leave your place about 5AM,

Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Just curious, did you use any sort of online back ups for your photos? I have a lot of photos, but I have bad luck with my hard drives. So I don't stick them all on one, I usually have them on a 2 separate ones at all times.
No, the pics were put on two different laptops and an external drive. We had abominally slow interwebs on my old third world country island...no way I could have uploaded them online. I'd still be there working at it.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 11-30-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu