Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM

39 posts, read 73,733 times

Advertisements

Yep, they love cardboard - I have heard they can eat the glue and also know they like to lay eggs in the "ripples" in the cardboard. Best to switch to totes if you have stuff stored in boxes! Be sure to clean out anything you move from the boxes to the totes really well...so you are not just transferring cockroach eggs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 PM

34 posts, read 73,263 times
wow.............
i had no idea these guys liked cardboard....and laid eggs on them too...
well my house was really clean but i did have some boxes(like from water bottle packs from costco)
i'm going to try getting rid of all my cardboard!
thanks deegee!!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha88 View Post
wow.............
i had no idea these guys liked cardboard....and laid eggs on them too...
well my house was really clean but i did have some boxes(like from water bottle packs from costco)
i'm going to try getting rid of all my cardboard!
thanks deegee!!
It's the corrugated cardboard that is the problem. They eat the glue that holds the three layers together.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM

47 posts, read 129,605 times
Well I dont live on Oahu or even in Hawaii (hopefully someday) but I think i can help. I'm a licensed exterminator in Arkansas. It sounds like you are describing german cockroaches. I saw where you said the cheapest pro you could find was $100. THat's actually a great deal if its german cockroaches. I charge much more than that. What you need is a product called Invict Gold or Dupont Advion roach gel. You can order it from a website called doyourownpestcontrol but you cant get it in stores. I just checked and they do ship to the islands. You need to get a flashlight and inspect all areas that roaches like to hide. Under sinks, under countertops, in cabinets, coffee makers, rice cookers, microwaves...any crack and anything that makes heat or is damp. Appliances and tv's and computers are a common problem area. One sign that is a giveaway is there droppings in cabinets or sometimes you'll see it on smoke detectors or around picture frames. I find them a lot in door hinges too. Once you find the spots they like to group in you just put a few dabs of the invict gel close to them. When they eat it or touch it kills them. Usually has secondary and even tertiary killing power. Typically there will be an oetheca that you don't see and after a few weeks they will hatch and you will start to see more of them. No big deal just retreat the areas they are hiding in. Sometimes it takes several treatments. It's not cheap and I bet the the shipping is high but you should be able to do it all for under $100

Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
yep, we do have German Cockroaches - Hawaii has 19 types of cockroaches on the island

Hawaiian Insects - Cockroach

Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 PM

47 posts, read 129,605 times
The American roach in that article is one we have here too. They don't infest a house like the Germans do though and can be treated with sprays. Here the German is the only infesting species and the other several species just wander in from time to time. If there is another infesting species I don't know them but its likely that gel bait would control them because its also effective on the other species. In the case of American roaches and oriental or smoky brown or other outside type roaches you will get results spraying ortho home defense around windows and doors and plumbing lines. Ortho is bifenthrin in a much lower dosage then the pro's use.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 73,263 times
holyyyyyyy crap i never knew there were so many different types....
german and american roaches??? LOLLL

Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
And that isn't even mentioning the huge flying tree roaches that we all call B-52s.

There's no polite way to say this... if you can't deal with bugs... lots of bugs... you're going to be unhappy living in Hawai'i.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

34 posts, read 63,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Combat gel should work. You can't spray or use any other poison when you use the combat gel.
I use the combat gel and DE (food grade) ... I live in Waikiki near the ala wai.. and see like 1 roach Max..a month.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:24 AM

58 posts, read 134,050 times
You can actually just pour some dishwashing liquid onto those roaches. This causes them paralyzed immediately and then dead in 30 seconds. For prevention, pour some on the floor (not on mattress) next to holes or cracks. The liquid will dry out, water it a bit everyday and do not step on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu