Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM

242 posts, read 392,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowaloha View Post
I was more curious what a guy like me would need to pull in to survive. 40k? 50k? Not living the life of luxury, mind you. Just survive enough to enjoy a few hours of paradise a week.
Another dose of reality. Have you checked the sunrise/sunset times? Coming off the plane, the best you could get would be a retail job ($10/hr) during the day and waiting tables ($10/hr) during the evening. So lets say you work your day job 8-4 and then evening job 5-10pm. So the only time off to enjoy a few hours during daylight would be in the morning and can you see yourself getting your ass out of bed for 6am after working late the evening prior?

Or you have two jobs and some days your shifts don't overlap. You're now working 7+ days in a row to do both shifts. How motivated are you to go out knowing that at some point during the day you'll be working?

The only way for a Mainlander to relocate and still make a decent wage would be to keep their current job and work remotely. But that $70K you're currently making will not get you anywhere as far as it does on the Mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM

32,717 posts, read 48,321,659 times
If all you are hoping for is a few hours of paradise, then I suggest a really good job on the mainland with paid vacations. Then spend 2 solid weeks every year in Hawaii, enjoying every second of it.

Hawaii is only "paradise" if you are vacationing and that "paradise" is manufactured. Much like Disneyland, you are given the illusion that you are seeking. The beautifully manicured tropical gardens, the drinks with umbrellas, that is all designed for the tourists who are spending lots of money.

There is nothing that is "paradise" about living in poverty and working 2 jobs just to have a shack to live in and no hours to hang out on the beach and no money for those drinks with the umbrellas.

Not saying that you should not try it, but if you think that you are moving and will live in paradise with a low income, that is not very realistic. I suggest that you carefully examine your expectations, because I would be sorry to see you disappointed. Take a hard look at what you can rent, how much it costs to live, and what sort of salaries are available.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM

32,717 posts, read 48,321,659 times
By the way, I think that if you can duplicate that $75K salary, you would do OK. The question would be how much can you earn?

I also think you can get a place to live in Oahu for $1000, but it will be extremely small and in not such a nice neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM

42 posts, read 145,878 times
Well, I guess I will be the one positive post here. First of all, I saw you said you are willing to drive so maybe that is why others think it is impossible. I did a quick look on Craigslist under rentals on Oahu and found the below post. (sorry it is so huge but I just copied it from Craigslist). I don't live on Oahu but I used to and I know there is always places you can rent from someone while you are getting started.

Also, the other thing I will say is that someone said mentioned a culinary graduate starting at $10. Well, I don't think culinary training is at the level of a college graduate with a Bachelor's degree. There are a lot more places that need people with a Bachelor's degree and management experience than there are that need a chef. Just saying.

Can you take a month and visit and apply for jobs and see what you think?

If I was in your situation, I would take the chance.You seem like an ambitious guy. I have a feeling you will do well.

Good luck....here is the info from the craigslist ad.

[SIZE=7]Kauhale Kaka'ako
[/SIZE][SIZE=5]Accepting Rental Applications for 1 & 2 Bedroom Units
(All Qualified Applicants Will Be Placed on the Wait List)
860 Halekauwila St., Ste 100, Honolulu, HI 96813
1 Bedroom and 1 Bath, 578 square feet - Rent: $815.00 - $990.00 (does not include parking)
2 Bedroom and 1 Bath, 728 square feet - Rent: $1,075.00 - $1,250.00 (does not include parking)
29 Story Highrise with 268 Rental Units
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]
[/SIZE]

Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingSRQ View Post
Well, I guess I will be the one positive post here. First of all, I saw you said you are willing to drive so maybe that is why others think it is impossible. I did a quick look on Craigslist under rentals on Oahu and found the below post. (sorry it is so huge but I just copied it from Craigslist). I don't live on Oahu but I used to and I know there is always places you can rent from someone while you are getting started.

Also, the other thing I will say is that someone said mentioned a culinary graduate starting at $10. Well, I don't think culinary training is at the level of a college graduate with a Bachelor's degree. There are a lot more places that need people with a Bachelor's degree and management experience than there are that need a chef. Just saying.

Can you take a month and visit and apply for jobs and see what you think?

If I was in your situation, I would take the chance.You seem like an ambitious guy. I have a feeling you will do well.

Good luck....here is the info from the craigslist ad.

[SIZE=7]Kauhale Kaka'ako[/SIZE]
[SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=5]Accepting Rental Applications for 1 & 2 Bedroom Units[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5](All Qualified Applicants Will Be Placed on the Wait List)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]860 Halekauwila St., Ste 100, Honolulu, HI 96813[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]1 Bedroom and 1 Bath, 578 square feet - Rent: $815.00 - $990.00 (does not include parking)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]2 Bedroom and 1 Bath, 728 square feet - Rent: $1,075.00 - $1,250.00 (does not include parking)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]29 Story Highrise with 268 Rental Units[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
Oh come on - this post is truly painful to read. If this isn't a classic I don't live in Hawaii but I'll throw something out there and hope it sticks - this is it.

You don't land in Oahu and qualify for low income housing for which 860 Halekauwila is - that place has been on the news - developed by the State of Hawaii for people in need.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,512,021 times
Quote:
Also, the other thing I will say is that someone said mentioned a culinary graduate starting at $10. Well, I don't think culinary training is at the level of a college graduate with a Bachelor's degree.
True, an AA in Culinary Arts is hard to compare with a Bachelor's degree in something-or-other... because culinary training trains students for careers with actual jobs waiting after graduation. And in Hawai'i, where so much of the economy is based on tourism and hospitality, there is a steady demand for people with good culinary training and skills.

Bachelor's degree... not so much. Plumbers and electricians generally do better. But the point I was trying to make was that even with in-demand skills, the pay is lower in Hawai'i than on the mainland.

If you want a top job, as an executive chef at a big resort, for example, then you'll want to get a Bachelors Degree AND a Culinary Institute certificate. Welcome to the world's premier culinary college in New York-The Culinary Institute of America

As for the public housing ad you published, did you note that "All qualified applicants will be placed on the wait list"? What that means, as a practical matter, is that if you have a low enough income to qualify, such as being on a disabilty or other fixed income, that you'll be added to a wait-list that might be 2-3 years long, and then, when you finally get to the top of the list, if you still qualify, you will have an opportunity to rent.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-20-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM

206 posts, read 572,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Hawaii is only "paradise" if you are vacationing and that "paradise" is manufactured. Much like Disneyland, you are given the illusion that you are seeking. The beautifully manicured tropical gardens, the drinks with umbrellas, that is all designed for the tourists who are spending lots of money.
Should be a "sticky"

Too bad there isn't a 100 mega rep for posting the unvarnished reality.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM

42 posts, read 145,878 times
First of all, you don't have to insult me. I have nothing to gain by posting a reponse other than to give the guy an idea that maybe he can find something around $1,000. All the posts were negative so I figured I would give him some ideas.

I stated I do not live on Oahu now but I did live there for 10 yrs and the Big Island for 4 so it's not like I have no clue about Hawaii.

Why are the people who post here so negative?

I have no idea if something is "low income" now. The ad didn't state that. So I would think not mentioning that would be classified as blind advertising.

My point was just to tell him that there are places he can get around 1K a month.

Here is one for $1200. Are you going to say that is low income housing also?

$1200 / 2br - Available NOW! 2 bdrm, 1 bath units - 705 Hoawa/2304 Kapiolani (Kapiolani)

Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 53,794 times
Haha, I'm a big boy, I can take the good with the bad. Fortunately (or mayne unfortunately) for me, it won't change any decisions I've made. Afterall, this is something almost 4 years in the making now. I truly apprectiate ANY input anyone has, good or bad, solicited or unsolicited.

As for the paradise comment, if you've ever spent time in Iowa or Indiana (the two states in which I've lived) you'd understand why even ten minutes on the beach at midnight after an exhausting day is "paradise" compared to what those states have to offer. Sometimes I have to wonder if people who've been fortunate enough to live there the majority of their lives sometimes miss the little thing. Kind of like on first snowfall here, instead of thinking of how beautiful it makes the landscape, all I think is "great, time to dig out the snow shovel and hats and mittens."

Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Quote:
First of all, you don't have to insult me. I have nothing to gain by posting a reponse other than to give the guy an idea that maybe he can find something around $1,000. All the posts were negative so I figured I would give him some ideas.

I stated I do not live on Oahu now but I did live there for 10 yrs and the Big Island for 4 so it's not like I have no clue about Hawaii.

Why are the people who post here so negative?

I have no idea if something is "low income" now. The ad didn't state that. So I would think not mentioning that would be classified as blind advertising.

My point was just to tell him that there are places he can get around 1K a month.

Here is one for $1200. Are you going to say that is low income housing also?

$1200 / 2br - Available NOW! 2 bdrm, 1 bath units - 705 Hoawa/2304 Kapiolani (Kapiolani)
New alert - you have no clue.

I know exactly where that place is, you must not since you are continuing to throw darts out there - and saying it is a dump is being kind. Sure, one can find cockroach infested and unsafe units at that price range - my favorite part of the ad, drive by first before contacting.

I wouldn't put my worst enemies in those units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu