Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,127 times

Advertisements

Exactly. However there are a lot of unfilled min. wage jobs on BI and the cost of living is lower here than Oahu. I don't see a high paying Honolulu job in the OP's near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,820,601 times
Perhaps even more competitive than the rental market between a newcomer and an established resident, is the competition for an "above minimum wage" job. McD's might hire with little local work history, but a more skilled level job will usually not want to chance a newcomer packing up and "moving home" if there is a long-term resident applying for that same position.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Most economists consider "full employment" to be 4.5% - Oahu employers are reaching a point where sitting back isn't an option or positions go unfilled. In fact - at full employment, one usually needs to slow the economy as it cannot sustain itself.

Pretty much everyone who wants a job can now get a job on Oahu.

A $75,000 per year 29 year old with mgmt experience and Bachelors should be able to find something on Oahu at least in the $40's after awhile - I don't find that to be a very livable wage in Oahu but perhaps he would.

Unfortunately, a byproduct of this is things like rent are going up.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 AM

242 posts, read 392,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Given the op is 29, has a Bachelors Degree and several years mgmt experience I suspect he is shooting for better than minimum wage jobs.
He's shooting way off the mark then and should not be considering Hawai'i.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM

662 posts, read 1,262,954 times
I gota believe he's not coming back to this thread!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 AM

23 posts, read 53,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
I gota believe he's not coming back to this thread!!!
Me? Oh, I've been lurking a little bit. Just seeing what everyone has to say. I didn't expect every response to be sunshine, rainbows and unicorns, so I'm not taken aback by anything said. As for the job thing, I'm confident enough in my own capabilites that I feel if I can get the interview, the job is mine. Yes, I realize there are many people like me, Hawaii is different with new residents and the fact that it's a 99.9 percent chance I won't even have my resume sniffed without already living on the island. But if I had no confidence in myself, abilities and credentials, what would even be the point of trying to move out there? It's all an uphill battle, but so has been my entire life/career, so why even bother if I'm not going to challenge myself? I will say, to hopefully relieve some of you, that I refuse government assistance. I know many move to Hawaii, only to almost immediately go on welfare or the likes. Not that I disagree with it, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather admit defeat and take my remaining money to get back to the mainland before taking Hawaii taxpayer's money.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,484 times
I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job on Oahu. Theres plenty that go begging. The issue will be if you can earn enough to comfortably live. And live where you'd like to live. There are places that are really cheap to rent, but have a long commute or sketchy neighboorhoods. If you work for a national chain in retail, try to get a transfer and keep the same pay or get hired with a major chain in management.

As for getting on welfare, its pretty tough out here. You have to be a resident, which takes a year and prove you work 20 hrs per week. Hawaii is very aware that many people come here thinking they'll sit on the beach and get a goverment check, so they go out of their way to make it virtually impossible for people other than residents to get any help. Except maybe moving into a homeless shelter. But even then, you can only stay for a short time, then its into transitional housing, which you have to pay for.

Why not take a 2 or 3 week vacation, rent a condo and hit the pavement, looking for work? If you get it, you stay. If not, try again in 6 months. Just bring money and a return ticket.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 31,992 times
I'm really not sure what's with all the douchebaggery going on here. All I'm seeing here is the usual Debbie-downer mentality that society as a whole is now jumping on; shoot down everything before accidentally considering opposing views.
  • You've obviously done your homework and are at least somewhat prepared to accept the downfalls of your decision.
  • You're prepared to live in the worst places if you have to, in the most minimal conditions.
  • You've saved enough to live on a rental budget of $1k/month for at least 12 months, with no additional income.
  • You've clearly stated that you understand you're not going to be living the 75k/year life here.
  • Reading comprehension obviously isn't our strongest subject, given some of these responses.

People have washed ashore with far less, and still live comfortably enough.

A <$1k/month studio in Waikiki isn't hard to find. It's a total ripoff, but as a newcomer you're not going to find the best deal right off the bat. With at least $12k set aside for rent, you can work any jobs for an entire year and feed yourself with the income. Hopefully by then, you'd have found a job more to your experience and liking. Obviously, try to have a job lined up before you even arrive, but that's not always possible. Remember.....Hawaii is cripplingly nepotistic. Your degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on if someone's cousin's roommate's babysitter's brother's classmate needs that position you're eyeing. So get to know everyone and don't step on any toes.

You have a good chance of failure, but that's just part of the risks you're taking.

To maybe help answer your question and for context, I live with wife, no kids, 1k/month rent plus utilities (we set aside $1400/month for the shared expenses, plus $500 for car/ins payments). Combined we make maybe 60k - 65k. I feel like we're always broke, but that's because our standard of living is too close to the max limit. We're working on living below our means, instead of exactly at our means and throwing money at the most expensive shiny things we can afford.

You'll do fine with your current plan. Have a back up plan in case you can't make it work.

I didn't have a clever place to put this, so I'm just going to attach it to the end: Idiots Out Walking Around. That's what my mainland step-sister jokingly called Iowa as we drove through there.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,836,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregs View Post
I'm really not sure what's with all the douchebaggery going on here. All I'm seeing here is the usual Debbie-downer mentality that society as a whole is now jumping on; shoot down everything before accidentally considering opposing views.
  • You've obviously done your homework and are at least somewhat prepared to accept the downfalls of your decision.
  • You're prepared to live in the worst places if you have to, in the most minimal conditions.
  • You've saved enough to live on a rental budget of $1k/month for at least 12 months, with no additional income.
  • You've clearly stated that you understand you're not going to be living the 75k/year life here.
  • Reading comprehension obviously isn't our strongest subject, given some of these responses.

A <$1k/month studio in Waikiki isn't hard to find. It's a total ripoff, but as a newcomer you're not going to find the best deal right off the bat. With at least $12k set aside for rent, you can work any jobs for an entire year and feed yourself with the income. Hopefully by then, you'd have found a job more to your experience and liking. Obviously, try to have a job lined up before you even arrive, but that's not always possible. Remember.....Hawaii is cripplingly nepotistic. Your degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on if someone's cousin's roommate's babysitter's brother's classmate needs that position you're eyeing. So get to know everyone and don't step on any toes.

You have a good chance of failure, but that's just part of the risks you're taking.

To maybe help answer your question and for context, I live with wife, no kids, 1k/month rent plus utilities (we set aside $1400/month for the shared expenses, plus $500 for car/ins payments). Combined we make maybe 60k - 65k. I feel like we're always broke, but that's because our standard of living is too close to the max limit. We're working on living below our means, instead of exactly at our means and throwing money at the most expensive shiny things we can afford.

You'll do fine with your current plan. Have a back up plan in case you can't make it work.

I didn't have a clever place to put this, so I'm just going to attach it to the end: Idiots Out Walking Around. That's what my mainland step-sister jokingly called Iowa as we drove through there.
Mahalo for saying this! I was lurking on this particular thread and wondering what to say. I've done exactly what this OP is wanting to do and it worked out well for us. I know we can be quick with the negative but there are some nuggets of wisdom is some of it. He seems solid in his thinking and you Dregs are so correct, folks have and are making it on less there.

Good luck to the OP, I hope you move forward with your plan - Hawaii is a lovely place, but it is really what you make of it as it would be anywhere you relocate.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM

23 posts, read 53,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregs View Post

Whoa! Making fun of my home state is fighting words! No, we (Iowans) all know Iowa isn't much to drive through unless you enjoy farmland, but the people are by far the nicest, friendliest people you're ever meet. I liken it to the aloha spirit, but maybe a little more genuine because you're not getting it from people dependent on tourist dollars.

Mahalo for the advice, though! I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Hawaiian way, and I have no doubt I'll be able to fit in and be accepted there, it's just a matter of surviving in the meantime. Unfortunately, the Powerball didn't help me make it easier on Wednesday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu