Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregs View Post

To maybe help answer your question and for context, I live with wife, no kids, 1k/month rent plus utilities (we set aside $1400/month for the shared expenses, plus $500 for car/ins payments). Combined we make maybe 60k - 65k. I feel like we're always broke, but that's because our standard of living is too close to the max limit. We're working on living below our means, instead of exactly at our means and throwing money at the most expensive shiny things we can afford.
I'm curious for all the broke folks in the 400 sq ft studios living below your means - serious question, do you ever think what you are going to do for retirement savings? At some point do you have to say yourself - oh wow - how am I going to afford to retire? That's the part that I struggle with and all the broke living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 31,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowaloha View Post
Whoa! Making fun of my home state is fighting words! No, we (Iowans) all know Iowa isn't much to drive through unless you enjoy farmland, but the people are by far the nicest, friendliest people you're ever meet. I liken it to the aloha spirit, but maybe a little more genuine because you're not getting it from people dependent on tourist dollars.

Mahalo for the advice, though! I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Hawaiian way, and I have no doubt I'll be able to fit in and be accepted there, it's just a matter of surviving in the meantime. Unfortunately, the Powerball didn't help me make it easier on Wednesday!
Just in case, I didn't mean that offensively. Just wanted a way to say....I drove through your state before. lol. Every state has funny quirks like that.

I'm sure you'll make it man.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 AM

32 posts, read 50,394 times
Viper, 1st, appreciate all your input on this site. I lived in Waikikik hostels, cheap apartments etc. and never ask people those "tough" questions although I want to. At some point, most realistic people get tired of being poor or living check to check with no plan. It happened to me somewhere around the time when I put the root canal bill on my Mastercard.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Quote:
Also, I DO have a small dog, but he would be staying with family until I could secure a job and a place to live that would allow him and I'd have him shipped over afterward.
Go TODAY - right now! (why are you stil on the computer?) and get blood drawn for that whatever test. The day after the lab (only two in the world that hawaii will accept results from, one if you're not military)recieves the blood is when the clock starts ticking. 120 days later, with all hoops jumped through, you can pick up your pooch the day he/she flies in. I've got 2 dogs, using Delta Cargo. Mine will vacation in California on a lively ranch with many luxeries until their 120 days is up.

so look it up and find a vet who knows what you're talking about.

If yer really good, you already go that done. btw, the test can be up to 3yrs old. If you have one from a couple years ago, there's no quarentine. Strange laws but that's what it is.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,054,194 times
True. If you are even THINKING ABOUT moving to Hawai'i with a pet, you need to have its blood drawn right now. It was agonizing staying in our old home with my dogs, waiting for the titer waiting period to be over before I could move. Note that there is nothing wrong with having your pets stay with someone else during the waiting period if you need to leave sooner, staying with my dogs was just my personal choice.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM

I'd like to add this, after reading through some other threads:
I'm thrilled at the new job offering. It's like my dream job and it would be even if it were in ... say... Iowa. The fact that they'll pay me to live in Hawaii is even better! I don't expect to spend the rest of my life there but I'll enjoy the time I've got! As Bon Jovi sings: I just wanna live while I'm alive... it's my life... now or never.... *hits the time clock humming to self*
oops...wrong thread... sorry about the Iowa remark.. there's worse places.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Go TODAY - right now! (why are you stil on the computer?) and get blood drawn for that whatever test. The day after the lab (only two in the world that hawaii will accept results from, one if you're not military)recieves the blood is when the clock starts ticking. 120 days later, with all hoops jumped through, you can pick up your pooch the day he/she flies in. I've got 2 dogs, using Delta Cargo. Mine will vacation in California on a lively ranch with many luxeries until their 120 days is up.
so look it up and find a vet who knows what you're talking about.
If yer really good, you already go that done. btw, the test can be up to 3yrs old. If you have one from a couple years ago, there's no quarentine. Strange laws but that's what it is.
It's a bit more complicated than that. Here's the official state brochure on the process: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqsbrochure.pdf

Quote:
! Note: requirements on the checklist detail specific timing for two rabies vaccinations and a
FAVN blood test that must be followed to qualify for the 5-day-or-less program.
Quote:
All steps need to be completed to qualify for this program. If you are unable to meet the
following requirements, your pet will undergo quarantine for up to 120 days.
And here's one of the many threads here discussing what it's all about. Use the Search function to pull up others.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...t-release.html

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
120 days later, with all hoops jumped through, you can pick up your pooch the day he/she flies in.
Those would be "all the hoops". Believe me, my dogs have started their 120 days, and the other hoops are being jumped through. I'm shooting for an immediate release.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM

246 posts, read 650,452 times
Quote:
Roughly, how much would I need to make in a job?
I'd say you need a salary of $35000 bare minimum, just to survive daily here, with no contribution to savings or 401K.

Suggest hold off from moving here at least for a few months to save a little extra (more than what you have already saved), especially if you are coming without a job and residence reserved.

-You would need a temp place to stay prob in waikiki for about $125 per night for about 2 weeks total = $1750. Renal car from enterprise at $35 a night.

-First thing to do is get a car, $3000 or so, old toyota tercells are ugly but very reliable. You will need it to search for housing and get to job interviews. Forget about even thinking of catching the Bus, you could spend 4 to 5 hours a day navigating bus routes and transfers just to get to an interview or to look at an apartment. You'd pay about $300 for safety check and car registration.

-Second is getting a place, craigslist isn't as bad as you think it is once you are here on island to verify properties, also check the local newspaper adverts and google property management companies, try to set up appointments just before you leave. The BEST way to search is to go to craigslist to search for prices then go to the actual apartment building and see if there are posted vacancies on index cards pinned to a board at the building entry, also check at nearby grocery stores which usually have billboards that also post vacancies. Look for places around Ala Moana near Don Quoite, a lot of studio apartments around there for at $1000 and you are in walking distance to shops. One thing to note about $1000 studios in town area is that they mostly come without A/C and you are not allowed to install one, and the street noise is something to get used to like sirens, dump trucks, and busses at all hours of the night. Check Holiday Manor and Kapiolani Terrace and apartments around that area. Stay away from Makiki area because the added noise from the unruly welfare polynesians singing, yelling, fighting and blasting their car stereos at night is unbearable. Anything advertising a 1 or 2 bedroom form $1000 - $1200 usually are filthy roach infested and dirty places. Safety is not a big concern, more like having paper thin walls and hearing domestic violence from your neighbors every night, keeping you from a good nights sleep is the bigger issue. Don't underestimate this last part, this can really make your life miserable living next to ghetto idiots while you try to live "cheap."

-Third scour craigslist for work, with your background and experience your keywords would be business or management, you could get a decent paying job as a bank teller or even try sales, there are very broad based areas of work you could be considered for, be open to apply for anything related. Hawaii has to be self sustainable to a certain degree and business jobs are always out there, especially in our low unemployment rate. Also look for management type jobs ins the Hotel industry, you'd might have to work as a concierge at the overnight shift initially, but it pays decent, provides work uniform, and have cafeterias providing free meals for employees.

-Wouldn't worry about race related things, Honolulu had a big influx of Californians over the past 5 years, heck we call Kailua "Haoletown" because of the recent increase of Mainland transplant. You'll fit in just as well as they did, just don't try too hard to be a "local," by trying to hang out in Waianae and Waipahu and get yourself stabbed in the face.

Salary would be like this:
$35000 gross
$8750 25% income tax
$26250 net income
$2188 monthly income

Monthly cost breakdown from your living standards description:
$1000 rent
$50 parking
$60 car insurance
$80 gas
$45 phone basic no text or internet
$500 food
$60 toiletries
$60 internet
$60 cable tv
$1915 basic expenses

Note that the costs above are current right now including hidden fees and 4.712% tax, additional annual fees to consider are car registration $300, you'll pay about $250 for federal income tax (usually get refund from State tax), so any extra pennies saved will eventually pay off these items.

This info is based on my experience when I moved out on my own several years ago and had to breakdown my expenses to see if I could make it without having to live with roommates. I lived in a studio right behind Don Quiote at about 350 s.f. and had no issue feeling cramped. I worked within a 5 minute walking distance with a salary just above $35000. I kept my expenses down due to eliminating $ for gas and general wear on my car, picked up groceries on they way home from work, went our drinking with coworkers in nearby bars after work and stumble home without having to worry about driving, man it was so convenient!

Based on that, I say make the move earliest in February 2013, companies usually hold off hiring during the holidays and beginning of new year. With your degree and experience I think you could do well working downtown (business district) if you genuinely like and talk to a lot of people (people person) I think you could do well. Get a couple of really nice $80 - $120 aloha shirts like reyn spooner, matching slacks and good business shoes get apps out and you might not have to worry about bare minimum salaries!

good luck.

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 12-09-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Jeez, the thread title is how much I need to "realistically" live in Oahu - not, how much do I need to barely survive. Or, what is the bare minimum I need to live in Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu