Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd like to add this, after reading through some other threads:
I'm thrilled at the new job offering. It's like my dream job and it would be even if it were in ... say... Iowa. The fact that they'll pay me to live in Hawaii is even better! I don't expect to spend the rest of my life there but I'll enjoy the time I've got! As Bon Jovi sings: I just wanna live while I'm alive... it's my life... now or never.... *hits the time clock humming to self*
oops...wrong thread... sorry about the Iowa remark.. there's worse places.
Just curious, what's your dream job that was offered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Jeez, the thread title is how much I need to "realistically" live in Oahu - not, how much do I need to barely survive. Or, what is the bare minimum I need to live in Oahu.
The post above yours was awesome - anyone can build upon that to their idea of "realistic."

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,293 times
Wow, how do you all make it in Hawaii? Seems like someone is making it big, with all of those tourists and high priced rentals and especially vacation rentals, you guys are all getting robbed in the income market. Too bad people who need to move to Hawaii for health reasons (fibromyalgia and Hawaii being one of the only places I've heard of where people can go and have pain disappear) can't do so because a select few are profiting big time.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhka View Post
Wow, how do you all make it in Hawaii? Seems like someone is making it big, with all of those tourists and high priced rentals and especially vacation rentals, you guys are all getting robbed in the income market. Too bad people who need to move to Hawaii for health reasons (fibromyalgia and Hawaii being one of the only places I've heard of where people can go and have pain disappear) can't do so because a select few are profiting big time.
Um, yeah...... un-uh.

I live in Hawaii and have fibromyalgia... when did we become a magical place?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,076,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhka View Post

The natives are not paying the same prices as tourists.

For example.
I bought a lemon for $4 in a grocery store in Kuai
I bought a better lemon for $0.50 at the farmers market by Diamondhead.

I also see a lot of posts of "I need a one bedroom", I need this, I need that.
I spent a year in Tokyo where most people in their 30's lived in about 250 sq. feet. Many lived in a lot less. They were fine with it. Prices are higher than Tokyo and they dont have the great outdoors like Hawaii has.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM

293 posts, read 362,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, what's your dream job that was offered?
She has another thread going. Something about moving to Ohau I think. She will be working at the Navy base starting just after new years. So, that means she is there now trying to get situated.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM

662 posts, read 1,262,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
I gota believe he's not coming back to this thread!!!
His last post was Thanksgiving, so now I really think he re-thought things.

I mean the site was down for a while but not that long...

Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 AM

13 posts, read 21,123 times
Default A car is important

All I can say is make sure U can afford a car. The bus system here turned into pure Hell once they cut the routes and the busses are slow with everyone packed in there like sardines. I wouldn't wish catching the bus on my worse enemy. (I was catching bus for about a year and a half, but couldn't take it any more and got myself a car).

Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 89,599 times
Well I am being transfered. Company provides the car and gas. Will be traveling between islands as well with work. To be honest my salary of 80k makes me wonder if thats enough. Reading some of the post lets just say I want to live there not just survive there. Dont want to be near the big cities as well. North shore or leeward side would be perfect. Still will need a two bedroom place I need one to be an office. Electric is expensive as well as everything else. Be nice to see post on how much people make vs there lifestyle on Oahu.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 PM

275 posts, read 420,373 times
Default Oahu has gotten that costly to live in, compared to the Outer Islands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
When we were first presented with the opportunity to live in this state back in January, and we could live anywhere in the state for this opportunity, it took very little research for us to realize that Oahu would severely cramp our standard of living. We ended up on affordable Hawai'i where we live extremely well on a middle class income. Is there any particular reason why you must live on Oahu? You can get the same minimum wage jobs here that you are likely to get on Oahu, but the cost of living is a fraction of the cost of living on Oahu. If it's city life you're after though, we don't have that.
started out living in Oahu, but it wasn't that expensive back then, but after a couple of years moved to the Big Island too.
Not a big fan of cities either, but Honolulu is a nice city compared to ones on the Mainland.
if you like the country or remote or rural areas, you'd like the Big Island. upcountry Maui is gorgeous too....though Maui IS more expensive to live in, than big island...
how is economy on big island now? okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu