Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM

337 posts, read 613,535 times

Advertisements

It might be HOA (Home Owners Association) fees which are more common as of late for new subdivisions. Usually its used for water, maintenance, cable, gated entries, insurance etc. Depends on the developer what they charge. At Kehalani here on Maui, they have 2 separate fees, one for the whole Kehalani subdivision, and another for the subdivision inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
I pay HOA fees in two communities. What is covered by those fees varies widely, depending on such things as: what common grounds are held by the HOA, if roads are private or public, is water from a private company or pubic, etc.

This brings up why finding out about a HOA's CC&R's, bylaws, and budget are so important to a perspective buyer. Some realtors are much more on top of it than others in knowing the details. Which is why dealing with a knowledgeable realtor for that area is so important.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,987 times
On Kaua'i, I haven't seen the attached houses, so I don't think it's a state requirement for the CPR. Otherwise, they are exactly as whtviper1 says: 2 totally separate properties obtained by splitting a larger one. I always thought the limiting factor was the R-zoning. R-6 means you can build up to 6 units per acre, so if you have a 10K sqf lot, you can split into 2--each with separate building and separate utility meters. Often one is a flag lot behind the other. Never heard of fees for these kinds of CPRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
That is one of the attractions of an older house, you know pretty much how the neighborhood is going to develop, including landscaping. From my house, now that trees and bushes have grown, fences have come up, etc, it is pretty hard to spot a neighbor's house. When new, before mature landscaping, I could see everyone else's nearby homes.
It's true that landscaping tends to be more predictable in an established neighborhood, but not houses and view-planes. My neighborhood still has about half of the lots the original 10K sqf, and every year, about 10 percent of those get converted to 2 lots, with a new house being built. And my neigborhood was established in the 50's with single-wall homes. But with the property values peaking a few years ago, a lot of people cashed in and split their lots (or built ohana units on them to rent out). One of those new houses partially blocked my nice view--fortunately not too much.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Yeah, scenic views are hard to protect. My neighbor had a great ocean view by looking past the empty lot next door. But when that lot had a home built on it, boom, bye-bye-view. My ocean view is now blocked in part by a mango tree in a yard a few houses down. When we were looking for a house, we said to the realtor, "we won't pay premium for a view, which can be blocked by someone later on". So, at least we didn't pay extra for a view that is now less.

The growing of landscape plants and trees has benefits: shade, blocking the views of unwanted things like the neighbor's garage next door, etc. But at the same time, what also can be blocked is a scenic view.

That is another reason why finding a good realtor can be helpful (and/or lots of homework by they buyer), the realtor can help the buyer sort out what is worth paying for vs what might be fleeting.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
The growing of landscape plants and trees has benefits: shade
One thing I want to point out for would be or current homeowners - shade can help cool your house but if you are ever considering solar those trees will need to come down, and that is potentially very expensive - keep that in mind when looking for a house or planting trees. Don't care about solar - well, enjoy the shade.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Yes, you need to be careful with trees and where they are grown in the landscape design. We don't even let the trees grow near our roof to prevent the branches scraping and doing damage, plus the fact that trees too near a house can be a highway for rodents and pests to invade an attic. Being "fire wise" is another element to think about when landscaping, keeping overhanging trees away from a house, especially important if you live in the dry areas of the islands.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM

38 posts, read 73,181 times
HOA fees are like taxes -- they go up but never down, and they will always be there. You can't pay them off. That being said, there are some great places to live that have HOA fees. So pick what you want and go for it. Huelani in Ewa comes to mind. Their fees are already over $600 and climbing, but it's a very nice enclave.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM

142 posts, read 287,846 times
Yeah I struggle with the HOA dilemma... It would seem better to pay more for a non HOA upfront then cheap out and be nickled and dimed for life

Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyapint View Post
Yeah I struggle with the HOA dilemma... It would seem better to pay more for a non HOA upfront then cheap out and be nickled and dimed for life
It really has nothing to do with non-HOAs costing more up front vs nickle/dime for life. Believe me, there are HOA communities that I'd venture to guess you'd not be able to afford. And there are practically useless cheap HOAs.

You might be well served to do a bit more homework about HOAs in Hawaii, especially in whatever area(s) you are considering. There is a value in exchange when paying association dues, what needs to be weighed is if the funds are being used wisely and if the protections (via rules) under the HOA are something you want ... or something you don't want.

Don't eliminate your choices by ruling out HOAs, until you have a complete understanding of them here. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 AM

13 posts, read 21,094 times
My house is used and built out of Redwood (termites don't like the taste of Redwood). I doubt U can get that in a newly built house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: