Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,678 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are coming back to Oahu in May to see my sister's high school graduation. We were thinking of doing some hikes while there. My family lives on Oahu, and my mom recommended the lighthouse hike (she probably told me the exact name, but I forgot) and Manoa falls. We also want to do Diamond Head, since we didn't last time. Any other must hikes? Neither of us are really hikers, but we are both in very good shape.

Are there multiple trails at Diamond Head? If so, is there any one that is the best?

What about the Haiku stairs/Stairway to Heaven? I've heard about that...is it still open? I also thought I remember hearing something about a Diamond Head stair hike...?

Thanks for the help! Oh, and we'll be staying in Waikiki, my family lives in Salt Lake, we'll have access to a car, and will be there for about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Haiku Stairs/Stairway to Heaven is not open to the public.

Diamond is very crowded and very touristy.

The lighthouse hike - or Makapuu - is very scenic, on a good day you can see Molokai, Lanai, and Maui peaks - but it isn't much of a "hike", it is all paved - and very short.

Aiea Loop Trail Hike is nice as is Mariners Ridge.

Yelp is probably a better source on hikes with lots of reviews.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM

29 posts, read 62,087 times
My vote is Mariners Ridges as well as any of the trails at Tantalus. With tantalus I love the rain forrest and bamboo forrect. Both of those are my favorites.

Enjoy!!!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
There are stairs on the Diamond head hike, and I believe there is only one trail, so it gets crowded. But it has the best view.

The other stairs hike is probably the Koko Head "stairs" that are really the cross-ties of a rail/trolley. Here's a link with tons of photos (so many, it almost spoils the hike, if you ask me).

Koko Head Crater Trail Hike - Nature's Stairmaster :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

I did the Aiea Loop (Airplane trail), and while it was nice forest, and a few "nice" views of the H3 below, it wasn't spectacular.

Another great hike goes to the Pill Boxes (old bunkers) above Lanikai. Great photos from someone who goes rock climbing up there:

Unreal Hawaii - Lanikai Pillboxes and Crag

Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 AM

Caution on Koko Head - you need to be in phenominal shape - I did that hike once and once was enough - and felt it for days afterwards and I regularly run 8-10 miles.

What I like about Aiea loop - what it lacks in some views is that it is a "loop" a fairly lengthy one at that - it isn't a go up and come back down the same way. It can be muddy though.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,678 times
Thanks for the tips! I figured Diamond Head would be pretty crowded. Is there a good/best time to go? (less people or best view)

I really like that Unreal Hawaii site, KauaiHiker. I'll have to check it out.

I think my hike/trail list is going to keep getting longer. Oh well, with my family out there, I forsee multiple visits in my future...I can always check off a couple each time. LOL

Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I figured Diamond Head would be pretty crowded. Is there a good/best time to go? (less people or best view)
Early morning tends be the most crowded for a couple of reasons - to beat the heat and to have the rest of the day in front of them.

Weekends are more crowded than weekdays (tourism spikes on weekends from West Coast visitors).

So, I'd recommend a Tue/Wed - and earlier is better, it does get hot - depending on what part of May the sun is literally overhead.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM

242 posts, read 391,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
...depending on what part of May the sun is literally overhead.
The sun is at 90 degrees on May 26, 2013 at 12:29PM and stays in the Northern Hemisphere until July 15, 2013 at 12:37PM when it returns back to the Southern Hemisphere.

Source: Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Hawaii – Honolulu – coming days

Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
The sun is at 90 degrees on May 26, 2013 at 12:29PM and stays in the Northern Hemisphere until July 15, 2013 at 12:37PM when it returns back to the Southern Hemisphere.

Source: Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Hawaii – Honolulu – coming days
We might as well talk local instead of 90 degree angles.

Lahaina Noon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
Jackass ginger stream/pool, off the Pali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu