Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM

12 posts, read 23,786 times

Advertisements

Aloha lovelies,

So we are looking to move to haleiwa area soon... we used to live in puna Big I years ago & moved back to Cali. we have 3 small kids & want to make a permenent move to raise kiddies with much aloha & malama. We are hispanic background but my oldest going into kindergarden is blond green eyed (middle 2 are dark brown hair), He has such a beautiful spirit... I just want him to be welcomed cause he is a lover, you know. We have Hawaiian Fam around the island but not at North where we would love to live. How is the N.Shore community? Kids? I think the sunset school is rated pretty high & my cuz was born & raised here & is an amazing lawyer smarts so I am not worried about the education end. I guess long to short is my blondie being accepted... We never had a thing with haole when we were in puna. He is still young where all kids want to do is play together & we have lots of respect for the kanaka & heritage. Just a loving mama wanting to her some goodness
also waianae peeps... whats up with people posting its dangerous..etc.
much love om
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohanamama View Post
Aloha lovelies,

So we are looking to move to haleiwa area soon... we used to live in puna Big I years ago & moved back to Cali. we have 3 small kids & want to make a permenent move to raise kiddies with much aloha & malama. We are hispanic background but my oldest going into kindergarden is blond green eyed (middle 2 are dark brown hair), He has such a beautiful spirit... I just want him to be welcomed cause he is a lover, you know. We have Hawaiian Fam around the island but not at North where we would love to live. How is the N.Shore community? Kids? I think the sunset school is rated pretty high & my cuz was born & raised here & is an amazing lawyer smarts so I am not worried about the education end. I guess long to short is my blondie being accepted... We never had a thing with haole when we were in puna. He is still young where all kids want to do is play together & we have lots of respect for the kanaka & heritage. Just a loving mama wanting to her some goodness
also waianae peeps... whats up with people posting its dangerous..etc.
much love om
My grandson's favorite teacher at Island Pacific Academy lives in Waialua and she raised three kids there and loved it. No problems to speak of and they attended school in Waialua and then once she started teaching at IPA, the youngest one moved there. She is hapa (Black and White/Hawaiian). Her little ones were a mixture of blondish hair and and dark hair. I know Waialua is not Haleiwa, but close.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I lived in Waialua for several years (as a haole) and never had anything but good vibes .here have always been a large number of haoles there because of families from Schofield who choose to live offbase. It's country though. Don't expect a lot of after school enrichment programs, other than sports. Good luck in your move.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I lived in Waialua for several years (as a haole) and never had anything but good vibes. There have always been a large number of haoles there because of families from Schofield who choose to live offbase. It's country though. Don't expect a lot of after school enrichment programs, other than sports. Good luck in your move.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM

Thank you for this! Waialua is very close & we might start there as we are going to find a temp. place till we find the spot for us... I am looking forward to country! Town is close enough . My kids are really creative & love outdoors (swimming/hiking).

Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM

My husband is an electrician so not sure where his work will take him, but I figure if we are all set the worst would be an hour communte right?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
Quote:
My husband is an electrician so not sure where his work will take him, but I figure if we are all set the worst would be an hour communte right?
Right? Maybe not, it can take more than an hour from Point A to Point B, depending on where A and B are. Check the archives for info on rush hour travel, as well as online links where you can view the commute traffic "live".

Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:

Basically, at best most the island would be an hour commute..... down hill from there.

(Not quite that bad, but close )

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the reassurance... wanting to live more in the country & the way that thework is, he could be having to go anywhere on the island... best be somewhere we want to be & hope he can connect jobs closer.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM

I am so excited to come back!!!! I think I would regret not coming back for the rest of our lives while our keiki are little. So, excited to raise them with aloha!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu